3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Smokes occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 11:54 AM
ShadowHunter547
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smokes occasionally

Just picked up a 04 ram 1500 slt with a 5.7 on 188k miles and noticed on idle after driving it smokes a little bit, let it sit for a day and start it up doesnt smoke. Noticed some condensation in the oil cap, any leads if this is a headgasket issue or something else? I read that the pcv valve has problems on these hemis? I dont smell coolant in the exhaust or on startup but not 100 percent for sure. Planning to change the oil because its due but just had a dakota blow a headgasket at 160k so wanna be sure its not that before i stick money into it. I dont have access to a compression tester. No loss of power nor misfires.

Old 11-08-2022, 01:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

I don't think there actually IS a PCV valve. I believe crankcase ventilation is accomplished with a fixed-orifice vent..... so, puffing a little blue every now and again probably isn't unusual for a high mileage engine. Installing a catch can might just fix it.

Old 11-08-2022, 02:00 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowHunter547
Just picked up a 04 ram 1500 slt with a 5.7 on 188k miles and noticed on idle after driving it smokes a little bit, let it sit for a day and start it up doesnt smoke. Noticed some condensation in the oil cap, any leads if this is a headgasket issue or something else? I read that the pcv valve has problems on these hemis? I dont smell coolant in the exhaust or on startup but not 100 percent for sure. Planning to change the oil because its due but just had a dakota blow a headgasket at 160k so wanna be sure its not that before i stick money into it. I dont have access to a compression tester. No loss of power nor misfires.
Best way to check a head gasket is with a block tester. You can rent it for free (upon return). Only cost will be the blue solution which is usually 5-10 bucks. If you do try this, drain out about a quart of coolant before you begin.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:53 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Parts search shows a PCV for a 2003 5.7 1500. It can't hurt to replace the PCV anyway, and it may fix your problem. The PCV is in there tight so you'll need pliers. You'll be able to tell right away if PCV is bad.
Head gaskets don't just blow. Head gasket failure is usually caused by an event such as an overheat.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:55 PM
riderboy1961
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShadowHunter547
1) Condensation on oil cap... does the bottom side of the oil cap have light brown or dark brown cream looking stuff on it? If it does I believe that would be a sign of a water/coolant in the engine oil situation but I may be wrong, that may just be on Diesel engines.
2) Also... check the engine oil level, i have had overfilled engine oil on vehicle or two and they were smoking but drained the oil down to the full level and no more smoke.
3) I have also gotten rid of a smoking engine problem on at least two occasions by putting in a quart of MMO into the crank case, driven 25 miles, then parked it overnight, then ran the engine in the morning until engine was completely Hot then changed the engine oil AND Filter and no more engine smoke, cold start up or hot.

These are just my experiences on a few occasions in the past.

Quick Reply: Smokes occasionally