3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

⚠️ Driver Seat Stuck Forward ⚠️

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 09:39 AM
AKCallahan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FabricGATOR
I learned a long time ago that the only guarantee I got with those white box parts was that I was going to spend a lifetime replacing them for free.

I freaked out when I realized the Advanced Auto parts had a professional desk ProToCall... I realized that all the mom and pop mechanics are going to start putting Advanced junk parts on my mom's and uncles' cars. Geeze
sounds like you need to find a new shop for their cars 😎

Old 09-08-2024, 10:07 PM
oldmanram03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI : My seat got stuck in full forward as well,
So I was working on my rear door in my 2003 Ram 3500 QC , and I decided to make some more room in the back by moving my driver seat forward
After I was done rewiring my back door , I went to move my driver seat forward , nothing , I hit the switch again, and I can hear the motor make contact , but all I get is a thud sound and no movement. crap. After a search of the forums I'm thinking I'm screwed , probably worm gear is broken. I do a search and find the 2 men 1 garage site , and look at the photos.

Man was that a journey
remember this is my 3rd gen 2003 3500

So I was thinking of buying a new base , $250 plus a week to get here.
OR.... Stealing the seats from my 2003 HEMI 1500 Ram (quick but a LOT of WORK !!)
OR.... Buying the worm gear kit from Geno's or 2 men 1 garage (still take over a week)
OR..... The REAL EXPENSIVE ROUTE Buy NEW LEATHER SEATS from a 4th gen and swap those in $3,000 plus I hate electrical !!
At any rate I decided to pull the seat from the base, 4 bolts, easy job, maybe I can swap some parts out with my other Ram and get this thing back on the road.
I get the seat off and RE-install the seat switch , and I am lubricating the shafts that work ,
This is the FRONT height adjuster motor and gear

So I decided to try the forward back again , see if I can see something new, and the second time I hit the button the frame starts moving back from it's full forward position WOOHOO!
I let it go about halfway back and let it stop, hit the switch again and it goes forward as well , so I decide to grease the shaft , like I was doing in above photo. and I'm working it back and forth and it's working great , Then when I'm cleaning the track , I see a shiny thing , IT"S F>>>in DIME stuck in the track ,

Look at that shiny thing

Hey it's a dime !
It had been stuck in between the rails, and when I moved the seat all the way forward I assume it jammed , and that was why my seat was stuck all the way forward !!
Here is a photo of the dime , notice the wear marks/grooves in it from going back and forth.

Look at the grooves in the dime
WOOHOO Solved the problem AND found the reason BONUS
So If your forward back decides to stop working , and you can hear your motor make noise , but nothing happens , check your tracks !!
Thank You to all the people on this forum , if not for you guys I would have really been up the creek
Now I put my seat back on , and be ready for work Monday Morning , crap
maybe I'll tell the boss I have to fix my seat ?

Quick Reply: ⚠️ Driver Seat Stuck Forward ⚠️