3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine oil with antifreeze "weeding"

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 10:04 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

I'd run a compression test. See where I stand.

Old 07-21-2023, 12:05 AM
BOBODIV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's not good..... The "oil" has been circulating thru the engine for a bit. Doesn't look like any in/from the cylinders though, so, probably just intake gaskets. Probably.

Trouble is, the milkshake does not lubricate well, and too many times I have seen the engine start knocking after whatever repair. Be it just intake gaskets, or even headgaskets..... You might get lucky, but, be prepared.....

The heavy rust on the one rocker shaft/arm there is rather puzzling though....... Does this truck sit most of the time?
HI YOU,
yes about a year, everything was closed, couple of days a go I start working, add a gallon of oil and today for first time turn pistons with ratchet and turning went smooth. Tomorrow or on Saturday I'll use my endoscope camera to see what cylinders look like inside ( photos will be added )The only reason for so many questions is my desire to learn something from this job (I am 69 years old and eager for new knowledge).

I admit that I am boring with questions, if you accept me as such I will be very grateful to you and the other members of the Dodge Forum.

If you suggest that I remove the rocker shafts/arms and clean them, I will do it with pleasure.

I will post photos after cleaning so you can see how they look rust free from rust.

When I say that I greatly appreciate your and other Forum members' advisory help, I really mean it and feel it.

Many thanks, BOBODIV

Old 07-21-2023, 12:13 AM
BOBODIV

I did ( turning crankshaft ) manually one full circle and I got 30 Psi. Test was on CY #1 first spark plug hole, on second spark plug installed. Tomorrow or Saturday I check others.

Old 07-21-2023, 12:17 AM
BOBODIV

HI Dodgevity,

I did ( turning crankshaft ) manually one full circle and I got 30 Psi. Test was on CYL #1 first spark plug hole, on second spark plug installed. Tomorrow or Saturday I check others.

Old 07-21-2023, 09:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Turning it by hand won't give you good readings.

Yeah, cleaning that rust and such out of there would be a good idea, otherwise, it'll flake off, and end up in the oil.

The following users liked this post:
BOBODIV (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 09:30 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Turning it by hand won't give you good readings.

Yeah, cleaning that rust and such out of there would be a good idea, otherwise, it'll flake off, and end up in the oil.
Yeah, crank that starter for the test. I'd wire brush that rust with a vacuum and big magnet nearby, such as the ones they give out free at the auto part store - to catch the flakes.

The following users liked this post:
BOBODIV (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 11:52 AM
BOBODIV

Good morning Dodgevity,

Thank you for reply,

I'll go for cleaning rust as you suggested, and I do not know how can I crank starter because all wires are disconnected.My concern is safety, to do it without consequences according to PCM. At the beginning, I disconnected the battery, but the connectors on the PCM remained in place.

Tomorrow I plan to check the inside of the cylinder with an endoscope and if the result is positive (without damage) to clean the rust.

The reason for all these questions is lack of knowledge and inexperience in this case.

I think like this, it's not a shame not to have knowledge, it's a shame not to want to learn (acquire knowledge).

When I say that I am deeply grateful to everyone who imparts knowledge to me, I really mean it and feel it.

Thank you, BOBODIV

Old 07-21-2023, 12:12 PM
BOBODIV

Hi HEY YOU,

I saw it, the reading is only 30 Psi. Do you suggest that I connect the battery without consequences for the PCM and electronics (everything is disconnected) and do a compression test or leave it for the end when I finish everything.

As I told you, tomorrow I will check the condition of the cylinders with an endoscope and if there is no damage, clean the rocker shaft from rust and when the gaskets arrive, I will repair the installation and begin assembly. Do you think it would be good to remove the rocker shafts and clean them, to ensure that rust flakes do not enter the cylinders.

Thank you, BOBODIV

Old 07-21-2023, 12:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

If you have an air compressor handy, could do a leakdown test instead..... no need to crank the engine for that. Turning it over by hand to test each cylinder would work just fine.

Old 07-21-2023, 01:22 PM
BOBODIV

Hi HEY YOU,

Yes I have small carpenters Hitachi compressor.
As I understand it, set each cylinder at DTC, install every second spark plug and individually pump air into each first port and see how it holds air.
Is my understanding of your instructions correct, if not please guide me how to do that test.

Deeply grateful for everything,
BOBODIV

Quick Reply: engine oil with antifreeze "weeding"