3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3rd gen Ram TPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 02:34 PM
rons prop shop
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gen Ram TPS

Hello I am in need of some help

I have a 2003 ram 1500 v8 4.7 with issues with the Throttle body. Sorry for the long post just want to give as much info as possible

My truck started acting up about 5 months ago and gave a P0068 code. My uncle is a Mechanic and I trusted him working on my truck well long story short I shouldn’t have cuz I think he’s mad at me or something lol. I got my truck back and couldn’t believe how much he didn’t care.

My uncle replaced all of these parts and still had the P0068 code

All Spark plugs and coil packs

Some fuel injectors

Both O2 sensors

Camshaft sensor

TPS (Twice)

I have taken everything apart and clean it really good and started replacing everything else I could think would be wrong. But I’m still getting a problem when it’s idle. I haven’t tried to drive it since rebuilding it so I don’t know.

I replaced the valve cover gaskets and when I did I noticed one of the rockers was knocked off. It was the one in the front passenger side. So I changed the lash adjuster and rocker and added assembly lube around the new parts. I painted the valves covers with high temp engine paint so I can see if I have a leak again as well.

The throttle body I cleaned still got the code changed the TPS twice. I removed the throttlebody and bought another one at the junkyard to try and see if it made a difference. I noticed the cruise control cable was damaged (from my uncle) I changed it but it’s not as tight as before. So not sure if I’m supposed to do Something else to make it tight.

I’m the past 2 months I have replaced

The Radiator

The map sensor

The air intake sensor

The PCV valve

The PCV crankcase ventilation filters and vacuum lines

Oil change and changed air and oil filter

With the original throttlebody on now after rebuilding everything, I get a P0121 code and after a minute the truck starts accelerating like I’m holding the gas pedal to the floor With the junkyard throttlebody hooked up I do not get a code, but My check engine light it on, and when in idle it accelerates a little bit. I read online. They said I should try to use a Mopar TPS but when I looked online, they said it was discontinued for a purchase, so I’m not sure if there’s anything else I should do or if anyone else is ran into this problem.

Thank you for any help I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it.

Old 11-25-2023, 07:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Do you have a scanner that can read live data? If so, just turn the ignition on, and see what the PCM thinks throttle position is, what it thinks manifold pressure is, and pedal position as well. (drive by wire, right?) See if the numbers reflect anything resembling reality.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:44 PM
rons prop shop

Hey thank you for the reply I have a scanner but it’s a cheap one so it doesn’t read live data. But I have been buying everything as I go I have no problem buying a better one if it helps me figure out what’s happening. I’m going to look at getting one now.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Having a good scanner is pretty much a requirement for working on the newer stuff.... Too many computers really complicate matters.....

Old 11-26-2023, 10:14 AM
rons prop shop

I’m gonna buy one to see but my trucks 20 years old I didn’t think it had anything to crazy but I’m gonna get one.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:52 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets ask this...
Did you (or your uncle) did you do the TB recalibration?
I believe if whenever you remove the TB for cleaning, replace the TB (or TPS) that you are supposed to do a simple procedure with the key and the gas pedal.

Please let us know what you end up doing to get your truck running again.

Remember it worked great when it left the factory...

Quick Reply: 3rd gen Ram TPS