3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 RAM Diesel - steady/fast clicking from Intake Heater Grid area

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 07:22 PM
riderboy1961
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 RAM Diesel - steady/fast clicking from Intake Heater Grid area

Good Afternoon;
Been working on this truck lately and discovering some things here and there but not familiar with the 3rd Gen RAM Diesel

I open the hood, turn the ignition key to the ON position, a fast clicking noise starts from very near the Intake Heater Grid. I am not positive that the clicking is coming from it but with my head over the engine and moving side to side, front to back, the clicking seems to be coming from it of very near it - the 2 Heater Grid "Relays" do Not make any sound, the clicking is Not coming from the Relays.

So I did a self test on the clicking..... if I just leave the key in the ON position the clicking sound will just keep on clicking, it Never stops even for about 5 minutes straight, until I turn the ignition key back off, then of course the clicking stops.

QUESTION:
*** "Is This Normal for these trucks?"

*I am concerned that the clicking should stop at some point or eventually something will burn up?

Thank You

Old 11-25-2023, 07:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

What else is up there that might be clicking? I would expect, that if you actually start the engine, it stops??

Old 11-27-2023, 12:52 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by riderboy1961
Good Afternoon;
Been working on this truck lately and discovering some things here and there but not familiar with the 3rd Gen RAM Diesel

I open the hood, turn the ignition key to the ON position, a fast clicking noise starts from very near the Intake Heater Grid. I am not positive that the clicking is coming from it but with my head over the engine and moving side to side, front to back, the clicking seems to be coming from it of very near it - the 2 Heater Grid "Relays" do Not make any sound, the clicking is Not coming from the Relays.

So I did a self test on the clicking..... if I just leave the key in the ON position the clicking sound will just keep on clicking, it Never stops even for about 5 minutes straight, until I turn the ignition key back off, then of course the clicking stops.

QUESTION:
*** "Is This Normal for these trucks?"

*I am concerned that the clicking should stop at some point or eventually something will burn up?

Thank You
Clicking could be arcing actually, check this video

Edit - Just saw you have a 2005, not sure the same applies.

Old 11-28-2023, 09:14 PM
riderboy1961
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked with my friend who has an 06 2500 diesel, his does the exact same thing. Apparently this may be normal, I dont know. It just doesnt seem right though.

I had codes for the heather Relays but those codes went away when I found the front right headlight housing Ground issue and cleaned the contacts there and re-tightened the ground bolt on the inside right fender.

I guess Ground issues can cause many different problems that I would not associate to a Ground using what common sense I still have.

Anyway..... Currently the truck is Good!!

Old 11-29-2023, 02:17 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Nah it's totaled you should trade titles with me, ill take it off your hands

Quick Reply: 2005 RAM Diesel - steady/fast clicking from Intake Heater Grid area