3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Searching for ground locations for 2006 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 06:25 PM
Collin juoni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Searching for ground locations for 2006 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi

Been having some issues with the truck not starting after just running seconds ago and everything is black. No cab lights or dash lights just a very faint security light sometimes any help would be appreciated

Old 01-02-2024, 06:49 PM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you done the basics? Static voltage on the battery? Cables clean & tight?

Old 01-02-2024, 07:05 PM
Collin juoni

Originally Posted by aleekat
Have you done the basics? Static voltage on the battery? Cables clean & tight?
yes battery voltage is good connections seem good on the battery terminals i was poking around and saw the frame ground behind the wheel well looked a little corroded so i will be inspecting that further

Old 01-03-2024, 09:51 AM
aleekat
Veteran

What happens when you try a jump it?

Old 01-05-2024, 05:05 AM
William Scott
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

did you take it to a professional ?

Last edited by William Scott; 01-06-2024 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:49 AM
GrossmeisterB
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like a wiring issue with the ground wire somewhere. Is it the same on the 2006 than on the 2004? Then inspect the wiring right from the battery to the chassis/body there and go from there.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:30 PM
Collin juoni

Sorry i haven’t gotten back with any details, been busy with work.

i have not had to boost it yet because ive been able to get it going before i resorted to boosting it. I have not been able to take it to a professional yet either i am having issues with my 4x4 and would like my mechanic to check over a few things while its in there so i am setting money aside for that.

just this evening i came home and i was about to go out again and it happened again so i started to investigate and i had my girlfriend try to start it up while i was dinking around under the hood and thankfully it was dark because out of the corner of my eye i saw a little spark come of the positive battery terminal then all lights went dead so i wiggled the terminal lights came on then she tried to start it and dead again with a little spark…. So i took the battery terminals off disassembled the positive cable connection and scuffed the components with a wire brush, reassembled then it starts right up. So i do a little walk around and realize that my drivers side brake light exploded in the housing and that was a brand new bulb as of last weekend. So i do believe i have a grounding issue somewhere

sorry for the book im trying to explain my situation the best i can and i do appreciate the help

Old 01-08-2024, 09:36 PM
aleekat
Veteran

I'm guessing your 1st problem was battery cable not tight. Bulb issue problem not a ground issue. Did you handle bulb with bare fingers replacing it?

The following users liked this post:
Collin juoni (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 05:44 AM
Collin juoni

Originally Posted by aleekat
I'm guessing your 1st problem was battery cable not tight. Bulb issue problem not a ground issue. Did you handle bulb with bare fingers replacing it?
no i made sure to just touch the base and i used a clean cloth to insert it the rest of the way, the brake light on the driver side does not work either but ive traced that down to the circuit board so thats an entirely different problem

Quick Reply: Searching for ground locations for 2006 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi