3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 04:28 PM
cupcake
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Bad News

Well the other day I took my truck into Carmax just b/c I wanted to know how much it's worth.

Here we go:
05, Mineral grey, 3,343 MILES, Reg cab 2wd, perfect interior, perfect exterior.

Mods:
Grille, tint, exhaust

Current market value= 12,000$

I am appauld by this figure considering 4 months ago when I bought the truck it had a sticker of 31k, now @ the same time there was huge rebates and such so I was able to get the truck out the door for 21k. If I wasn't able to get my deal on the truck and I was an average buyer who did a normal sale they lost 70% of the vehicles value in 4 months. Thats totaaly rediculous, good thing I only owe 10 on this beast or my heart and pocket book would be hurtin.

Just a rant I thought I would share, im totally pissed this truck has no value, and yes I did keep in mind its a gas guzzler and all those other things but 70% come on there is no point in buying new if things depreciate that fast.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:45 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran
Default RE: Bad Bad News

yep....I kinda knew that for the most part.

The reason yours is worth little though i because its a truck without 4x4...so that plays a big role too.

But I checked into mine as well.

My 05 QC 1500 4x4 Laramie fully loaded had a sticker of almost 44k....I paid 37,500 out the door almost exactly 1 year from today.

With 19k on the clock...I think the best I can get is around 25k now. so thats a loss of 12k after 1 year!!!! LOL good thing i bought it and plan on holding onto it for a while.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:51 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

I feel your pain bro. A few months after getting mine I thought I would have some fun and see what it was worth. A KIA dealership (don't ask ) actually offered me 18500 for it which is cool since that's more than what I paid for it. A Saturn and Nissan dealership both offered 14500 because it's a work package.

Come to Texas to trade. You will still get burnt but Trucks are worth more here.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:59 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I think it's also a matter of where you live/where you go to do your trading.

My Dakota was a 2001 Clubcab V8 4.7L 4x2. It was a Motorsports Edition with virtually all the bells n whistles. I owed 10,700 and the best I could find at most places was 8500. The dealership that sold me my Stratus not only gave me 11,800, but they also threw in Gap Insurance on my Stratus free.....

And the kicker? My Dakota was kept by them on their lot instead of being sold to an auction house, was gone in less then 4 days off their lots for 13,5k

Old 01-23-2006, 05:21 PM
cupcake
Professional

I love the truck so im not getting rid of it anytime soon, i would much rather pay it off and keep it in storage for awhile, it's to much to maintain as a daily driver. Got me a 300$ beater for that.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:16 PM
legend71

This is exactly the reason why I don't buy new vehicles. I buy them a couple years old and then buy an extended warranty. That way you avoid the huge depreciation factor when you drive a new car off the lot yet still get the benefit of being under warranty.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:26 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Damn, I just got 18.5 for my 2003 Expedition EB with 38K on the clock.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:29 PM
AeroRam
Rookie

I think they were lowballing you big time.

I just bought my Ram a week ago. I paid $17k for it and it was the cheapest low miles (27,800) QC Hemi with a clean title this side of the Mississippi. The Kelley Blue book listed trade in value is 16,000 and the NADA was slightly less. The reason it was the lowest price was because it was in Milwaukee and you need 4WD there in January.

Kelley Blue Book lists an 05 RC short bed 2WD Hemi base SLT in excellent condition as having a trade in value of $16,750. Were you not looking to purchase another car just sell it? Maybe that is why they lowballed you?

I'd try somewhere else.

FYI. most mods do nothing to help the trade in on your truck at a dealership. You usually can't get a quarter of your money back even on major mods unless you sell to an individual buyer who is looking for those specific mods.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:29 PM
cupcake
Professional

I'm aware mods only depreciate value, but I was not looking to buy or trade I just wanted a quote b/c a friend of mine had a Nissan frontier it was beat to hell with 55k being and 03 got rid of it in 05 the value was 7,500 on it and they gave him 11,6. So i figured they are fair and I had nothign todo. My truck on KBB is only valued @ 18,1 and im sure they pulled the old "this that and the other thing make it less than kbb" they love those.

And I know buying used is better money wise, but I have absolutly the worst luck of any human you know and if i bought a used car it would blow up than be hit by a semi right as im pulling it out of the lot. + alot of ppl here in florida are dumbasses and hatians that don't take car of their cars properley. I can never keep a vehicle stock either so I would just void any extended warrnety I had.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:30 PM
silvernightmare
Veteran

I also do not buy new. I got my 04 Ram Quad Cab (fully loaded) with a Hemi with only 13K for $14K. Straight as a whistle and fast as they come. Had billet grill and hood scoop, thought it is not 4x4 but I did not really need all that.

Quick Reply: Bad Bad News