3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 vs 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5.9 vs 5.7

I have a 5.9 Durango and a '04 Ram Hemi. My take has always been the 5.9 feels much more agressive (torquey) than the hemi around town, etc. The hemi clearly has better breathing and can wind up faster and higher. Interesting discussion, both very good motors w/ different power bands in my book. Also, stock to stock, the 5.9 is giving up 100 HP too so not so sure how fair comparison is.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:34 AM
reed
Veteran

I took the torque and reversed it left to right, now represented by Blue. It doesn't really change the fact that the 5.9 still would have less torque at any given RPM than the Hemi.

ORIGINAL: HankL

The 5.9 torque curve in that picture above is a printing mistake...
it is reversed left to right...this has been discussed many times in the past on dodge forums.

You can prove this to yourself by calculating the torque from the horsepower curve.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:52 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

I think the hemi is a much better motor due to the technology and development involved in making it.. the carts given by reed give you visual proof. Dont get me wrong i love the 5.9's i had a second gen myself but more power, more speed, and better gas mileage.... normally accounts for a better motor....

Old 12-22-2007, 03:49 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad's 5.9 Durango felt so much more powerful than the hemis do. Just my take.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:52 PM
JayH2112
Veteran

ORIGINAL: reed

I took the torque and reversed it left to right, now represented by Blue. It doesn't really change the fact that the 5.9 still would have less torque at any given RPM than the Hemi.

ORIGINAL: HankL

The 5.9 torque curve in that picture above is a printing mistake...
it is reversed left to right...this has been discussed many times in the past on dodge forums.

You can prove this to yourself by calculating the torque from the horsepower curve.

Sorry but the 5.9L has the same or better torque at basically all times up to 4000rpms. I think actual dyno results are a little more reliable than a generic brochure.

And also, like I said it has the pretty much the same HP up until about 4000 too.

The picture from the brochure is not accurate at all.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:20 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

ORIGINAL: JD1500

ORIGINAL: lastrights

a 5.9 would also go four wheeling places where a hemi could not, a hemi is built for more top end, where the 5.9 is the low end
Dude, are you serious? I would of lvoed to be your salesman. The difference in motor, has absolutely no bearing on that. They are the same truck, with V8's, they will be identical in off road performance.

I have had both, and like my hemi better, lower torque, but still plenty. Higher HP, and much better economy.
Wrong on the "identical" offroad performancebecause theyboth have a V8.I am not arguing which one is better, but more low end torque will get you farther any day. Why do you think they put lower gears in mud trucks and rock crawlers.... Or why you put it into 4LO for real sticky situations...

Old 12-23-2007, 05:42 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know a dam thing abought dodge engines, I own the hemi, but the old 360 with iron heads and block give much more potentail for modifications to increase h/p.

Stock vers stock the hemi is awiner hands down over the 360, But 345 vers 360, thier s never a replacement for displacement, if Dodge kept the displacement of the 360 with the hemi perks, this topic would never have started...

Old 12-24-2007, 10:01 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be cautious about trusting
any of the stuff...but not cautious
about knowing about what evidence exists.

I don't trust the hypertech dynos,
cause I think they might derate the 'stock' and inflate the result with their chip.

The official Dodge dyno graph obviously had the printing mistake, but it is also 'too smooth' to be a real dyno graph...there is one that looks a bit more realistic in the 'Magnum Engines' book by Chrysler engineer Larry Shepard, and it shows more low end torque than the sales pamphlet.

The 5.7 Hemi graph and rated 345 hp has been much discussed because other automakers accused Chrysler of 'cheating' on the engine break-in proceedure and leaving off the power steering pump...even though 95% of vehicles with 5.7 Hemi engine have a power steering pump. Real hp of the 5.7 was probably more like 330 hp net if tested without tricks and the torque at 4200 rpm might have been a wee bit lower.

The efficiency of the transmission and torque converter also has an effect on how much torque reaches the pavement..or the drive drum of the rear-wheel dyno.
The 5-45 auto trans internals are quite different that the older 46RH/RE automatics
and there is no doubt that Chrysler has tried to limit torque from the 5.7 engine in order to make more transmissions last at least through the warranty period where failures costs them both money and bad ratings for reliability.

My gut feeling is that in the 1500-1900 rpm range the 5.9 and 5.7 are close in torque but the non-MDS 5.7 has a modest advantage in fuel economy.