3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drove a 2006 DODGE RAM 1500 QC HEMI 4x4 last night...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:36 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Drove a 2006 DODGE RAM 1500 QC HEMI 4x4 last night...

well id rather have a meaner front end when im smoking a ford, than a quiet interior...think about it, what would you rather the guy in the ford be thinking when he's eating your tailpipes? "Well, Gee Golly, i bet that guy couldn't even hear outside noise when he flew past me," or, "damn that was a mean looking truck that just smoked me!" and with that i will bid you, good day!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:22 AM
REVTECHss

I'd rather have the mean looking front end on my '06, and the quiet interior. Some day you will grow up and realize there are many more important things than beating some stranger in a race he probably didn't even know or care about!!! Its nice knowing some time and engineering has gone into making a better truck for my $40K, than just if the front looks "mean" or "tough", both of which this truck does as well as having a lot quiter interior !!

Old 03-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would anyone think a 2005 can drive circles around a 2006?? Looks and opionons are subjective. Facts are facts. Dodge improved the truck in every generation. Why would would anyone think different now?? I have owned older Dodge trucks and I can say without being biased (because I have owned them and put my money where my mouth is).....This is the best Dodge truck yet. Will Dodge make a the next generation even better?.....sure they will. But lets face it,....in 2006 when you are going to throw $40K+ at a truck, its going to be this great Dodge truck.
Get with the program and keep the Dodge family tight. "If you can say anything nice about our beloved brand, dont say anything."
This kind of truck bashing makes the other brands happy. Lets not try to split our ranks. Just remember...."Change is a lot like fire.....Scarry at first but very useful"

Old 03-10-2006, 12:55 PM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

I can see both sides of the argument. I can see how some people think the grille and headlights are ugly (I wouldn't get used to it because you know in 2-3 years Dodge will change it again!). But on the other hand, I can see the benefits of a new suspension and interior. Here is my opinion: the truck hasn't changed enough between the 2003-2005's and 2006's to warrant "one is better than the other." Until the 4th generation Ram comes out, this argument is based solely on preferences for headlights and grille, and which ride is more car like. Arguing this topic is like arguing the difference between a 2005 Silverado and 2002. Well, the headlights changed on the Silverado (the cat eyes look), and a few things here and there, but all in all, it's the same truck. It is the same thing with our trucks - 98% of the sheet metal is the same, powerplant is the same, transmission is the same. The suspenstion is different (and better in my opinion) and quiet from what I've heard (I think the need for a quiet interior is directly proportionate to how old you are, older people wanting quieter, younger not picky about it).

Personally, I'll keep my 2004 rather than trade it in on a 2006 merely for the headlights, dash change, and MDS. Plus, knowing Dodge and how they change little things on the trucks very often, I'll wait until 07 or 08 when there is a REAL difference between the trucks.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:10 PM
dieselram
Captain

ORIGINAL: AntRock

i have noticed on all car / truck forums, that the people who own the older model are always bitter about the new one. that's not an opinion it's a fact. [:@]

I think thats how I am with my 04.5. I prefer the 04 style to the 06, but maybe I'm bitter that I didn't hold out for the 06s. As for the lack of power, no one mentioned that the MDS from the 300C, etc. might be the problem. Maybe the the thing was just in 4cyl mode????

Old 03-10-2006, 04:51 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I never had a problem with anyone on this forum until today. You are treating me with so much disrespect I am beside myself, and I think perhaps I need to take a break from the forums for a while.

I began every sentence with "I think" or "I believe" and I even ended my post with an apology, because I knew some of you who owned 2006 would be offended over my OPINION. I have the right to free speech, and if you don't like what I have to say... Move along to another post. Don't sit here and criticize me for my opinion, and my experience. You think I'm being an *******, I think the rest of you are trying to squash my rights.

I'll strip it down from opinion to fact.

1. FACT - There *IS* LESS leg room. Unless you are 6 Foot + 9 inches tall, you have no room to speak regarding this matter. I don't want to hear another peep about this. When they changed the style of the dash, they changed the amound of leg room. Measure from the bottom of the dash directly below the steering wheel, to the floor, on both trucks. Or, measure from the drivers door across to where the dash comes down to meet the floor of the truck, you know where the cupholders and stuff sits.
There is more room in a 2005.

2. FACT - The 2006 is slower and less throttle responsive than the 2005. Chalk it up to a different program in the computer, or how it controls the torque management, but it is different.

I wasn't being biased. I was always of the opinion that the outside was less appealing to the eye... But I got into the truck and drove it expecting a similar experience to any other dodge I had driven, and I was disappointed. I said I was amazed at the lack of interior noise, but disappointed by the feel of the interior, and the seemingly poor performance of the Hemi, when configured the way it is.

I am sick and tired of repeating myself. I'm done with this post. Get over yourselves.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:14 PM
TheRedMonkey
Professional

Its all a matter of opinion. I like the look of the 05 because that is what I am used to. I am unsure of the upturn on the edges of the grill on the new models but they did need an update. I am also unsure about the headlights, I am a hot rod guy and there are certain lines I like and that my opinion. I have not seen the interior on the new ones except in pictures so i don't have an opinion on that.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:32 PM
REVTECHss

2. FACT - The 2006 is slower and less throttle responsive than the 2005. Chalk it up to a different program in the computer, or how it controls the torque management, but it is different.
And you base this "fact" off of what? You drove it and it feels different, so that makes it slower and less responsive? Have any other "facts" to back that one up?

Ain't nobody criticizing ya, just when you like to state facts that aren't neccesarily true, and then tell us what a pile they are compared to your almighty '05, some people might not tend to agree with your "facts".

Old 03-10-2006, 06:10 PM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

I found these 0-60 times for the 2005 and 2006 Rams Rob mentioned:

2006 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi 4x4: 0-60 9.84 seconds
2005 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi 4x4: 0-60 8.64 seconds

2006 Ram link http://www.intellichoice.com/reports...odge/model/Ram

2005 Ram link
http://www.intellichoice.com/reports...odge/model/Ram

Old 03-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, no disrespect intended and you definitely are entitled to you opinion. This forum has such a wealth of knowledge on every model of Ram, its invaluable. Its cool to be passionate about your ride. If not, it wouldnt be any fun to own the best truck made. In the end we are all on the same team.

Quick Reply: Drove a 2006 DODGE RAM 1500 QC HEMI 4x4 last night...