3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drove a 2006 DODGE RAM 1500 QC HEMI 4x4 last night...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:32 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a 2006 DODGE RAM 1500 QC HEMI 4x4 last night...

And was I ever disappointed. My parents truck was stolen, then recovered, now in the shop being repaired... So their insurance company rented them a 2006 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab HEMI 4x4...

I have said it before, and I'll say it again... I think they are UGLY, and I had only ever seen pictures... This was my first one up close and personal. I think they RUINED the front grille, what the hell is with the weird 30 degree angled piece on the bottom corners of the front grille... It looks stupid as heck... And I also hate the way the front headlights sink so far back into the sides and top of the hood... It was red and had 17" wheels, and I just really thanked myself for getting a 2005.

Then I got in it. HAHA. There is noticeably MUCH less leg room inside a 2006, than a 2005. Some of you probably wouldn't notice... But since I am 6'9" and 260lbs, interior of a vehicle has a LOT to play in what I like and what I don't like. So, aside from it being smaller inside, I did not like the seats, they were very uncomfortable, and I really hated the dash... The dash looked like it belonged in a tonka toy or something. I don't just mean the ugly ugly ugly fake wood trim around the stereo... The whole thing felt like it would fall apart. I didn't like the placement of the cup holders or anything.

Driving it, I felt more bumps than in my truck... For the record, my truck has 19,000km's on it, and this rental had 10,000km's on it... not a HUGE difference... it seemed to handle okay, but throttle response was TERRIBLE... Interior noise was 100% better than any other vehicle I have driven though. I honestly could not hear anything outside of the truck... Very quite interior, but that's about the only good thing I have to say about this truck. Yeah, the truck just didn't have any *****... Sorry. Whatever they have done to the computer in the 2006's they should undo it!

Sorry if this offends anyone who owns a 2006... But I just hate them. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. If you think it stinks, and you've happy with your 2006, then enjoy it.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:30 AM
silvernightmare
Veteran
Default RE: Drove a 2006 DODGE RAM 1500 QC HEMI 4x4 last night...

I have not driven one but I agree about the look of the front grill, it is pretty ugly.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:00 AM
REVTECHss

As an owner of a 2006 i gotta disagree on a few points. Either you like the look or ya don't thats personal opinion. For me, I think the '05s and older already look outdated after seeing mine for a while. The new 20's are a huge improvement over the old flower power wheels as well. I like the new look and think it looks more rugged. As for the interior, again if ya like it or not is up to you, but facts are facts, there is NO difference in leg room !! Nothing was changed except the grill and headlights. Cab size is still the same as it has been since the '02 change. Myself, I like the seats, and the new interior layout. Much more car-like and refined in my opinion. Gives it a much more classier look I think. I agree the wood trim is not the greatest, but thats why i have the Sport edition - no wood trim.

As for the ride, not sure since everything I have heard from anyone is that the '06s ride much much better and smoother with the new front suspension. I know my Hemi also seems to have plenty of power as well, so I can't understand why you think there is such a difference in power versus other years??

Old 03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to chime in on this topic. I absolutely love the new look of the new Ram. It looks more aggressive and the larger headlights give it a "wide eyed crazed rino" look ( I LOVE IT). The interior has a less cluttered look with cleaner lines and much more up to date controls. The feel of the ***** and switches are solid and have a high-end feel (very German car like).
I have owned 2 Rams before and for the most part they havent changed the look since 1995.
The Ram has improved its fit and finish across the entire truck (funtion and form). The new Ram raised the bar for 2006 with keeping its tough aggressive good looks and real quality fit-n-finish. I am a Dodge Ram fan but I did drive the Chev and Ford Heavy Duty trucks just to compare. Without being biased.....The new Ram was clearly the better truck across the board.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 PM
AntRock

i have noticed on all car / truck forums, that the people who own the older model are always bitter about the new one. that's not an opinion it's a fact. [:@]

i have an 2006 laramie and i love the seats, the dash is a different story, id have to say that they could of done a better job with it.
as far as the exterior my opinion is that it is the best looking truck out there rite now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24181/3C87537C06C14CA2A4F6019937F4CF18.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-10-2006, 01:03 AM
rob[GL]
All Star

I'm not bitter AT ALL... My truck drives circles around that 2006, and looks better doing it.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:22 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're all good...Dodge is a Dodge enough said

Old 03-10-2006, 01:46 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran

"I absolutely love the new look of the new Ram. It looks more aggressive and the larger headlights..." More aggressive? um, not really. I am not jealous of the 06 at all and i have not liked the look since it came out. I think my 05 is mean looking...once it was parked by my girlfriend's mom's truck, which is an 04 GMC Sierra...and my girl even said, "wow, your truck looks mean compared to my mom's truck".......the 06 Ram has a fruity bumper

Old 03-10-2006, 02:47 AM
GIRam
Rookie

As for the interior room on the 06, its the same. your bias is making you believe things that are not real. The 06 rides better with coils up front than torsen bars. The front end is much cleaner looking, the headlights have better lighting properties and brighter bulbs. the frame is completely hydroformed and stronger than an 05's. The wheels look much better than your Butterfly looking things. I have the optional buckets seats with a better center console than the 40/20/40 setup. And yes the interior is much quieter. Thicker glass. better door seals. I have been in a 05 and the interior is basically one color, very drab. I know that the 06 interior looks cheap with the silver plastic center but it lighters up the interior. And don't forget dodge changes the design to make it better, the same as they did when they changed to your design from the previous one. My buddy with the 05 likes my looks better. To each is own!!

Old 03-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Daddywags
Record Breaker

At first when the 06's came out, I thought they were ugly. Now they have kind of grown on me, especially if they have the painted grilles and bumpers and the new 20's. I still think the 3rd generation trucks look meaner though, but that's my opinion.

Quick Reply: Drove a 2006 DODGE RAM 1500 QC HEMI 4x4 last night...