3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

THIS IS GETTING REALY OLD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:21 AM
sumncguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THIS IS GETTING REALY OLD!!!

I hear ya mystro ... not to mention the ~5k price tag difference ... oooch !!!

Old 04-07-2006, 07:52 PM
i11m10c2
Veteran

ok i get your point ! the truck is heavy, i got physics in college" brick versus wind " and the statement of "what did i expect from the truck " if u look at the sticker on the mega cab there is no EPA fuel estimate. so who knows!!, good for them because 10MPG i would have kept the Q-cab. And the mega is only 200 or so lbs heavier than 4x4 2500 long bed q cab and it has ben around a while.and gets better milage.
And in no way is the truck under powered!! that is one complaint i do not have pulls good and is plenty fast its the rediculus gas milage around town that is like 80s technolgy

Old 04-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i11m10c2,

There is another thing that can cause your mileage to drop. From the sounds of it, your trip to and from work/school is rather short.
When the present day engines are started, the mixture of fuel to air is enriched until the engine reaches its normal operating temp.
The temp is a critical issue with the "lean burn" engines, so as not to knock or ping. The hotter the engine, the leaner it can be run until it reaches the proper a/f ratio. All that being said, when you take off in the morning, and the engine is cold, you'll use a lot more gas, especially now while the engine is new. I know mine didn't start getting better until I reached around 5k miles. The only suggestion I can make, to help the mpg, is to treat the gas pedal like its an egg, and push down very gently, until you reach speed.
Stop and Go driving on a cold engine seriously kills mpg due to the enrichment plus acceleration.

You do of course have to do the obligatory WOT occasionally, otherwise what is the point of the big engine---right. Just make sure the engine, tranny, drive train are up to full temp when you do.

Hope this helps a little

Old 04-08-2006, 12:08 AM
ron panama

im gettting 8 in town, seven if i mash and 11 on the highway. if anybody is looking for
decent fuel milage they should go buy a toyota. mopower means mo fuel!

Old 04-08-2006, 05:14 AM
nos4fuel
Veteran

actually there is an equilibrium between power and mpg, to tell you the truth i think a little more power and torque would help you out a little, maybe seeing what headers can do because I have talked to some poeple who have dyno'd their cars with aftermarket headers and they have gained more power, torque, and even better gas mileage. This is because a little more power helps the engine moved the load better. More torque would probably help the engine move the truck a lot easier. I dont know guys, I have seen people gain better mpg from headers, but never before has there been a truck of such massive proportions. It kinda makes me wonder about wether or not any motor mods would help.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my new 2500HD and while it was coming in, my dealer had a MEGA Cab on the lot so I decided to test drive it. It was a 1500 HEMI 6' box. It was too long for my needs but one thing for sure it had alot of power and torque. It felt alot more powerful than the Ford crew cab I test drove and that was alot smaller of a truck than the massive Mega. Like the TV adds "That is one big truck!"
It makes me proud that Dodge can bring out such a Large truck when the rest of the world is pushing the "hybrid/little car/gas sipping vehicals. "It is so American way of thinking" Lord help the drivers of these hybrid cars if they ever get into a head-on crash with one of Dodge's full size trucks. It will be a very cruel lesson in physics. I wouldnt trade 45MPG for the safty for anything

Old 04-08-2006, 08:06 PM
nsyncfanatic03
Professional

ok one thing that you have in mind when buyina truck wouldnt not be how good or bad the fuel milege is.. you bought the truck for a reasona nd that reason is either to feel safe or hawl stuff. what ever the reason is the stupidest thign si to worry over gas.. like ppl have said before me dont punch it so hard.. when my dad is on the highway cruise control.. when we go for long trips we take my mom pt.. just baby it as the years go by and if you still are complainin about the gas and its not gettin used to its full protentail then in 2 or 3 years go in to your local dodge dealer about june/july and trade it one for somethign smaller or what not

Old 04-10-2006, 03:04 AM
wipedawg

I just owned a 2000 jeep cherokee. Went from 33x12.50's to 35x12.50's. I didn't change the gearing but i did change the speedo gear so the speedomoter remained accurate. I went from 13.5 mpg up to 15.5 mpg making the switch to larger tires. I honestly couldn't tell you scientifically why it was so.. but it did help.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:12 AM
wipedawg

ORIGINAL: abarmby

ORIGINAL: dieselram

ORIGINAL: WingViper

What's the difference in gas prices between deisel and 89 where's you're at? I filled up today, 89 Octane at $2.56. When I was looking at buying my Ram, I had budgeted at $1.80 per gallon and even threw in an increase to $2.00. Never expected it to go this high. gonna have to save up and buy a motorcycle now, hehe.
Diesel here has dropped down to only 2-3 cents higher than 89 octane. It used to be 4-5 cents higher than 93 octane a month or so ago, so I 'm hoping the cost will stay down (thats one reason why I got the diesel over a power wagon). I hear you on the bike, I got the Ninja right now, and I might get a Harley Sportster when I sell my car.

ORIGINAL: abarmy

What do these Mega cabs have for diff ratios.........?

I here all sorts of good stuff mileage wise for going with 4.56 gears?
Just my 2p worth.
4.56 is going to lower gas mileage, most Rams come with 3.93 or 4.10 (maybe 3.73 for some 1500's?). One way to increase MPG is to get larger tires. You will lose acceleration, but right now I think its worth it.

I was thinking of the Hemi engine when I was talking about the 4.56's.
If it's easier to push the "flying brick", as I love to call my Hemi, around at city/urban speeds typically 60-75mph, then I (in theory) and a few others who have actually done the 4.56 swap, do see mileage increases.
Hemi's going from 3.55's to 4.56's usually only increase revs by approx 300rpm at 60mph. However, the engine is working less hard to push the truck around therefore better mpg.
I was thinking of the swap myself until I got LPG.
Many Hemi owners of the 1500 series trucks report fantastic acceleration better fuel economy and the next best mod to a superchips money can buy when they did the swap?
lowest you can go in a half ton is only 3.92... dont even get 4.10's. its either 3.55 or 3.92 for the 1500's.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:34 AM
whitmandodge1

I have a 04 3500 dually CTD and has gotten terrible mileage since I bought it. I got 12 when I bought and now with 34000 miles on it I get 10 mpg no matter how I drive it . I have had into the dealership 5 times in the last few months complaining about the mileage and the engine not having any power and they told me nothing was wrong with it, finally it stopped running completely and after a week of not being able to get it started they decided to put new injectors in it because they didn't think it was getting the right pressure, after they got into the job they found dirt in the filter and told me they wouldn't cover the injectors because of fuel contamination. I thought that is what the filter was for. After another week, without my pickup, and a lot of b#@tching they decided to pay for the injectors. Now they have put a restriction on the engine, I've had the pickup for 10 days and have put 2000 miles on it and the engine light came on and they told me that the pressure pump is going out or the wiring harness has to be replaced and the warranty wouldn't even cover a 1/2 hour of labor to hook the computer up to it. My family has driven Dodges with Cummins in it since 1990 (7 pickups) and now I don't think you could hold a gun to me and make me buy another one. If that is what customer service and warranties are from Dodge than I'll drive a ford of GM. Be glad you only have mileage problems

Quick Reply: THIS IS GETTING REALY OLD!!!