3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Independent Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 AM
6 hemi ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20k on mine. just came home from indiana and on the way a coyote ran across when we were goin 70+. reflex turned the wheel a touch and the Ram dove into the opposite lane and back in a blink like she is an F1. cant relate to the problems some of you are having. she's tight as a drum. .....by the way we missed the coyote.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
ProPerDoper

I'm also surprised a bit by this thead:

First, my 06 1500 QC rides great at speed. The nice ride is exactly why I selected the 1/2 ton vs. the 3/4 ton. I will agree that the shocks do seem under-damped all the way around, which is why I've been in the market for a good retrofit selection. I think much of the busyness that's referred to here stems from the large unsprung weight of the 20" tires not staying planted on the ground. They bounce, and the soft shocks don't settle them very quickly.

One other minor modification that I did was to install a Belltech 1.25" drop shackle in the rear. It leveled the truck out very nicely, and settled the rear end down big time. Much less wheel hop in the rear.

The other aspect here that is confusing is the claim that KYB and/or Bilstein don't have a replacement selection for our application yet. I seem to find them in several places on the net. Not sure if they're the same for 4WD as for 2WD, but one place I found both brands is PartsGeek.com

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._absorber.html

If there are any members that have already installed either brand shock out there, please let us know your experience with results!

Last edited by ProPerDoper; 01-04-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:09 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

My 08 is fine. I bet your struts are just wiped out.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:56 PM
robeeto

One of the struts started leaking on my 06, I installed Skyjackers, and Im very pleased with them, I think it handles much better than stock.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Wyndancer

I have an '06 1500 Quad 4x4 with 72k miles.

I need shocks badly. I surf around find that Monroe has something available, but I'd really like Bilsteins or KYB's. I call Bilstein direct....Nope nothing yet, but we have them in production and expect delivery 1/9/09.

So I call Eshocks, tell him the story, "Yep, true enough." So I place an order and will expect delivery sometime after 1/9/09.

Short of Monroe, Skyjackers and Rancho Quick Lift..ain't nothing available for the IFS 4x4's

Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Rick Lottman

I am convinced that there is a strut issue with 06, 07 and 08's. My suspension guy tells me that he has seen numerous Dodges with blown struts and leaking struts. If your finding anything other than Monroe, Skyjackers and Rancho Quick Lift then you need to look closer because they are probably for a 2 wheel drive and they are probably shocks and not struts. I think it's pretty pathetic that Dodge has not corrected this issue or offered a "fix" for it. I also can't believe that my Dodge dealer missed leaking struts as part of the 50,000 check up. Well, yes I can. It's the Dodge dealer in Lincoln, NE. I should have known better. The top of the check off sheet that I got back from them said "World Class" Inspection from Performance Dodge. They missed bad calipers, leaking struts, warped rotors. All that for a low, low cost of $79.95......I think Vince from Sham Wow was working there that day.. Ok, back down from my soap box. I do think that these are great riding vehicles also, but they got a bad batch of struts and they should stand behind a bad product. Especially in these times of tough competition.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
texas red
Amateur

I agree I am having all the same problems havent been impressed with the "struts" that dodge have started using now. I have just over 50k and drivers side leaking all over. I have sublte vib. at higher speeds and excessive body sway. I also have a left right pulse not much but def. noticeable when braking all rotors are new so I'm not sure There is a tsb bout struts but cant find it again. Dealers are 50% bull and 50% ****. I am looking at the monroes Rancho qck lift are too pricey for me I feel same about the monroes to but looks like were stuck damn dirty ape's at chyrsler.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Burg/sparky

I have the 2006 Qaud cab also. My truck was all over the road. did some research and found the following:
Load the tires to 60 - 65 psi min. Should be E rated.
Replace the shocks with a set of Rancho heavey duty adjustable nitro. set them to 9.
That will take care of the problem my rides like new. Nomore DEATH WOBBLE.

hope this helps it definatley made a big difference with mine.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 AM
ProPerDoper
Default 06 Ram Suspension Solution

I can't recall if I've stated this already within this thread or another, so forgive if the message is redundant:

I did the following on my 06 Quad Cab 1500 2WD Hemi with 20" OEM Wheels:

New Bilsteins all around
Hellwig rear anti-sway bar
Belltech rear drop shackle - 1.25"
Energy Poly sway bar bushings up front

Poor handling solved. Truck dives into corners compared to stock, tires stay on the ground, very little body roll, smooth ride.....perfect.

Above mods highly recommended, as it completely solved my suspension/handling issues.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Alpheus
Banned

Originally Posted by ProPerDoper

The other aspect here that is confusing is the claim that KYB and/or Bilstein don't have a replacement selection for our application yet. I seem to find them in several places on the net. Not sure if they're the same for 4WD as for 2WD, but one place I found both brands is PartsGeek.com
That guy posted that back in 2006... Details!!!

Quick Reply: 2006 Independent Front Suspension