3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trading the Hemi for a 350z???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:31 PM
g352nv
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two different animals. You need both.

Hmm thats odd. We average 25mpg on trips with the Z. With my new quad cab hemi we get about 16mpg on trips.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:34 PM
squat
Rookie
Default RE: Trading the Hemi for a 350z???

I like my truck, a lot. I'll take some pics and post them some day soon. I just got a new '06 big horn (you can search for threads started by me to see what happened to my last '06). The thing is, I basically use it as a daily driver. I just got a new job that's 62 miles from home and we're not moving. The land is cheaper out there and the schools are better. Now don't get me wrong, I do occasionally use the truck to haul random stuff that I wouldn't put inside an SUV or a car so a truck is something that I kinda sorta have a need for. But driving the truck 120+miles 5 days a week eats up the gas.

So I'm in a similar boat as you. I can tell you right now that the only way I'll get rid of my 1500 is for a 3500 cummins (anyone else price out the 2500 and a 3500 exact copy, they're only about $800 difference). But I also don't like spending $400-$500 a month in gas, plus all the wear and tear on the truck. So I did some math a week or so ago and found out that I could be driving a honda Fit (the fit is go, damn unique commercials) that got way better mileage and almost break even (car payment + gas on the fit would be ~= to gas cost for the truck). The only thing holding me back right now is my paranoia and how much I enjoy driving my truck.

Driving the Fit would basically put me at the bottom of the food chain in an accident, my truck puts me somewhere near the top. I'm a pretty good driver (though I did total my last '06) but I can't control how other people are going to drive (as was highlighted by my accident). I would never drive drunk, but I can't stop others from doing the same. This is my paranoia, for me, at least right now, breaking even isn't enough to put me into a much smaller vehicle that puts me at much greater risk in an accident which, since I'm driving many more miles now, has a greater chance of happening.

Sorry for writing a novel, much of it is probably hard to follow, but those are my thoughts on getting a smaller car.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:18 PM
raidermike67
Veteran
Default RE: Trading the Hemi for a 350z???

Driving the Fit would basically put me at the bottom of the food chain in an accident, my truck puts me somewhere near the top.>>>>>>>>>

The Fit is pretty small, my Saturn will get 35 mpg if I stay off the gas, there are others mid sized compact's that rate fairly well in the crash test ratings, spend a bit more for side impact bags,and you'd save a fortune in gas and insurance.

Two ways of looking at the larger pickup and crashes, yes, you might be safer but if you caused an accident your potential for causing greater damage to others would be much higher.

Quick Reply: Trading the Hemi for a 350z???