3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

nBreakthrough in 04 PCM... just check it out!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:22 AM
deanj287
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: nBreakthrough in 04 PCM... just check it out!

your points clearing up mikehales..... i just think that it wasnt known that the list you posted was an ex. partly because you said you hooked up a scanner to your truck.

am i headed in the right direction?

Old 11-02-2006, 12:26 AM
rcmaddman

ORIGINAL: mikehales

I totally agree with yousame results here.

I hooked my DRBIII to see what all was turned off and these are the results

OBDII GLOBALDISABLE

cat monitor
evap monitor
thermostat stuck open or closed
purge monitor
misfire monitor
fuel too lean
fuel too rich

basicly all the emmisions stuff, thats all i have for now but i will see what else is going on.
So basicly this mod doesn't allow the computer to adjust the engine for atmosphere and temp changes and the engine runs at the default settings the factory puts as startup settings when the computer has been cleared when disconnecting the battery. Someone correct me if I am wrong PLEASE!!

Old 11-02-2006, 05:06 AM
eds2003ram
Professional

thanks for the advice Dean. I have yet to make the mod . Hopefully I'll try this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:46 PM
angusdevil

I did this mod last night and I can feel a few things. 1) Firmer shifts with the tranny. Feels like something between regular driving and tow/haul mode. 2) More power up top and 3) cleaner take offs. I've put about 300 miles on my truck since then and no problems yet. Now with what I have felt, I'm not 100% sold on what I am feeling is because of this mod or because the temp keeps dropping here in Indiana. It's supposed to warm back up some this weekend so I'll give it another go around and see if I am still getting the same results.

BTW - You feel it the most when you are flooring it to on a ramp to get on the interstate. Shocked me the first time.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 PM
deanj287
Captain

if you keep your speed lower than 30mph or so it is neck snapping once you floor it and the tranny downshift to first. truck is a so much more fun to drive.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:34 PM
dan0617
Rookie

mikehales, I think I understand. The computer is still compensating and all that it needs to do, but it isn't going to throw a code or a check engine light or anything if one of the parameters like the a/f ratio is out of wack. It is still going to adjust the a/f ratio as before, but it won't throw a code no matter how far it is adjusting it. Just using the a/f for the example, I'm sure there are other things this applies to. I have a programmer and I still see a little difference in the shift. I agree that that slight throttle cut that was there before during a shift seems to be eliminated. I also thought the truck pulled slightly harder, but also didn't want to seem overzealous. It isn't anything huge, but I think there is a difference. Any further info on this mod would be great.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:19 PM
abarmby
Champion

I've been reading all this with great interest.
A while back on this forum, the torque management mod was talked about for 03 Hemi's, but ONLY with the 3 connector style PCM.

I have a 4 connector style PCM.

It was said back then, that this mod could not be done for 03 Hemi's with the 4 connector and was only suitable for the 3.

Can anyone help me get this mod on my 4 connector 03 Hemi please?
al.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:20 PM
QUADCABHEMI
Professional

I just did mine. The first to second shift feels like it happens faster. I pulled out of my driveway and went about a quarter mile down the road and stopped, and from a dead stopped seems like it pulls about the same until the shift. Not really firmer but faster.
And then i heard a chime and thought to myself well theres the CEL. Turns out Im just out of fuel. Ill try it again after I fill up.
Not bad for a upgrade I can do with spare parts out of my tool-box[sm=smiley20.gif]

POWER TO THE PURPLE!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:30 PM
mikehales

Once again Dan, you have explained exactly what i'm trying to. thanks!

The list of systems is NOT an example, just the the O2 sensor stuff. Torque managment also just an example.

I orginally thought that it was also affecting the tranny, could still be. I believe what really is happening is the ignition is not being retarded during shifts, but i believe the IGNITION is the main thing being adjusted. It is possible other thing s are happening.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:10 AM
rcmaddman

Now that makes more sense. The motor would eventually not run correctly if the system wasn't adjusting parameters.I think i will try this mod and see what happens.

Quick Reply: nBreakthrough in 04 PCM... just check it out!