3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dealer TRICKED ME! READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:20 AM
raz123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer TRICKED ME! READ THIS

Some of you know that ive got heatin problems in my 2002 dodge ram 4.7 v8 reg cab 2wd truck.

basically: No hot air comming from drivers side, but there is on passenger side, just cold air comes after 10 seconds of operation on driver side.

now I took it to the dealership for 1 hour and 100 bucks later. they said have to take my whole dash out and the problem is a 98.5% a vent door and "MAYBE" a motor ???? maybe..?? wtf and anyways I've looked at the website www.hemituckclub.com and downloaded the full 2003 "hemi" manual and looked at the diagrams for the system okay and also bought the Haynes manual.. now this is where it gets good!

Upon my own investigation, I just noticed that there is a screw missing just under the air bag control thing for passenger side where u put your key into to turn it off ... now this is the only screw in the center console area. and from reading the instructions on the hemitruckclub manual to take out the Center insturment cluster of tape deck and stuff u need only take that 1 screw out and pop out that center part.. So it seems that the dealer must have done that! to find out what the problem was ... now my point is if he did that then I probably have acess to fix the problem itself just by going through there right???>> guys am i right would that make sense????

i should be able to acess the blend door area or at least the little thing that controls the flaps for opening because not only was that screw missing!! but i notice in the 3rd vent there is a wire now crossing half way threw the vent left to right...?? which means he did take the **** out and i was only there for at the most 45minutes not the full hour.

help me out..'

Old 11-07-2006, 11:37 AM
quattrosedan
Default RE: Dealer TRICKED ME! READ THIS

In your situation, what do you have to lose. You should try and fix it yourself. I personally am not familiar with the ram trucks, but I am familiar with my car and I can do anything on it now. You have a manual that will lead you step by step in fixing your problem, so I say go for it. And you have the forums to help you if you get stuck anywhere. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I'm still comfused as to how the dealer tricked you on this? They spent an hour pulling it a part diagnosing the problem and told you what the possible reason why it might be doing what its doing and probably offered to fix as well. Now I dont know about you but I dont know anyplace that doesn't charge for work like that so where did they trick you?

Old 11-07-2006, 12:27 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

I'm guessing the trick is in how much the stealer quoted him to fix it.

My wifes jeep had (has) the same issue and was diagnosed with the exact same problem. So parts and labor (pull the dash, fix the diverter, replace the dash) $700. Of course I was taken back a little but the stealer noted that the majority of the labor was in the dash removal / replacement.

The kicker is that he was at the dealer for 1 hour and they had time to both remove and replace the dash to diagnose the prob.

Just my guess from my own dealings with the stealer.

Raz, what was your quote?

Old 11-07-2006, 01:30 PM
raidermike67
Veteran

I took my former F150 to Midas for a simple brake inspection(I had just bought the truck used). Recommended front brakes, a radiator hose and a headlight was out. I was in a bit of a time crunch so told them to do the front brakes...they quoted me one hour and an $80 estimate to replace ONE headlight....took me five minutes and the light was all of $9.00. They also quoted me an hour to replace the bottom return hose, I told the guy "an HOUR" he looks at the book and says, "yep, thats what it says here" I said, you're kidding me right?

Here is the kicker....had I let them do the work it would have been a total rip off. While it was up on the lift having the rotors turned they would have done the light and hose DURING the time they were turning my rotors, so essentially double dipping.

Midas, Big-O etc...are major rip off artists. As I sat there in the shop waiting for my truck people just kept filling in and the guy told everyone who came in they would be out of there in about an hour.....yet there were people who had already been there two hours waiting.

The service shops are the dealers meat and potatoes, the sale of the vehicle is just gravy.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:43 PM
motorhead426
All Star

ORIGINAL: BlkRam69

The kicker is that he was at the dealer for 1 hour and they had time to both remove and replace the dash to diagnose the prob.
First off, I have worked at a dealership and they are not all rip offs. Secondly, the mechanic did not pull the dash off in an hour, nor was he able to replace any of the motors, or blend doors. The only thing that he did was pull the shroud around the radio off, maybe enough to see what was wrong. The ONLY way to get access to the blend doors or motors for the doors is to remove the whole dash. Then you can remove the whole assembly for the HVAC. If you have never seen what this component looks like, then your a little confused at what needs to be done. This component is probably near 24" in length, and 12" in depth. Basically it is a large box that needs to be disassembled in order to replace the broken parts. I've seen it done, and done it myself, its no easy chore. So if you want heat, just pay the dealer and get it done. If you decide to do it yourself, good luck, becuase it is harder than it looks, with all the small parts inside, and dozens of bolts and screws you'll have to remove to get it out. Just my $.02

Old 11-07-2006, 02:07 PM
damquick1
Veteran

I took the one out of my 2002 Dodge ram 1500 van and replaced the squirrel fan and the plenum duct...it was behind the dash on the passenger side and went through the firewall. It took me less than an hour to disconnect and remove the unit, about ten minutes to do the repair than less than 1/2 an hour to get it back in. (of course I knew what I was doing this time, just reversed) The dealers have to use the shop labor estimate guide, sometimes those are a GROSS over estimate.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:11 PM
mcbang

I replaced the HVAC on my 03 Hemi Ram, it took me about 14 hours to do the job. It`s a lot of work. And yes you have to take out the hole dash. I have worked as a Dodge mecanic in 5 years, and there is NO other way to do this job than to take out the dash. Sorry.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 AM
srt10wanab

I work in a dodge dealership service department. They have informed you correctly. The dash will have to come out and the hvac box will have to be removed and taken apart. Most of the time it is the recirc door that breaks. I have seen other doors break though. Usually the actuator motors are ok unless they bind up when the door breaks. If the dealer that you went to informed you of diagnostic charges up front and quoted you a estimate range of what it would cost to do the repairs - what else can they do? Some repairs are expensive and are time consuming. Just because something is expensive to get fixed, dosen't mean the dealer is ripping you off. Don't slam dealers just because of the price of a repair. Ask questions if you don't understand what a repair takes and what is involved in the repair. If they take the time to explain it to you to your satisfaction, you can probably trust them.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:44 AM
motorhead426
All Star

ORIGINAL: srt10wanab

I work in a dodge dealership service department. They have informed you correctly. The dash will have to come out and the hvac box will have to be removed and taken apart. Most of the time it is the recirc door that breaks. I have seen other doors break though. Usually the actuator motors are ok unless they bind up when the door breaks. If the dealer that you went to informed you of diagnostic charges up front and quoted you a estimate range of what it would cost to do the repairs - what else can they do? Some repairs are expensive and are time consuming. Just because something is expensive to get fixed, dosen't mean the dealer is ripping you off. Don't slam dealers just because of the price of a repair. Ask questions if you don't understand what a repair takes and what is involved in the repair. If they take the time to explain it to you to your satisfaction, you can probably trust them.
Couldn't agree more.

Quick Reply: Dealer TRICKED ME! READ THIS