3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mega cab versus Quad - Can't decide

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
rumpumpkin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mega cab versus Quad - Can't decide

Looking to initiate a lively conversation on the merits of the Quad cab versus the Mega cab. With the ulterior motive of justifying my final decision. I feel like an author with writer's block, because I really can't decide which is best for my situation. On the surface, I would seem like an obvious candidate for the Mega cab. Me, wife, twin boys ages 5, and an 8 year old daughter. We like to camp (both tent and travel trailer), go on road trips to coastal and mountain resorts, and the usual other stuff like weekend suburban duties and short day trips.

My main concern with the Mega cab is its' manueverability. Here in California, the parking spaces seem to keep getting shorter and shorter, and not to mention that most camping, day, and resort trips seem to be to quaint little locations where parking and manuevering can become issues. Or, am I just being a big Wuss? I currently drive an ext-cab Chevy shortbed, and have also driven a Suburban. But, the Mega cab ups the ante by a large margin. Also, the quad cab would be less of a monolith docked in my suburban driveway.

My concern with the quad cab is of course lack of interior space, upright seat, compromised rear center position (remember..3 kids). However, in regards to space, one interesting thing I've noticed is that the quad cab is actually better for seating 6, since it does not have the intrusive floor console/cup holder in the front center position.

I have decided that either quad or mega will be in 3500/Laramie/4x4 trim. So to summarize, is the quad cab doable for a family of 5, and are there manueverability drawbacks to the Mega Cab?

Old 11-08-2006, 08:37 PM
BlkRam69
Professional
Default RE: Mega cab versus Quad - Can't decide

Rum,

I have had both with the most recent of course being the Mega Cab. Now as I dont have kids as of yet it is usually just the wife and myself however we do take frequent trips (camping and the like) where we utilize the back seat for either luggage / supplies or passengers so having said that I would....

Of course I'm going to say the Mega Cab. Reasons?

Just as you yourself said, interior room. For me the Mega Cab may be overkill 70% of the time but when I / we travel and have additional passengers it makes all the difference in the world.

Put the two side by side and then get in the back (close the doors) and imagine yourself on a trip to a favorite (frequent) spot. Mine is about 3 1/2 hours away. Now again imagine and I'm sure youll quickly come to the conclusion that the Mega Cab is the more comfortable.

Now many say (jokingly or not) that they as drivers dont have to sit back thyere and there right. But....you as a driver do have to listen to the kids as the road gets longer and they become more figity. Not a pretty site. I was hell on my rents on long drives.

As far as parking, the truck is about the same length as a QC long box and does take a little getting used to but I would imagine it would be similiar to the first couple times you tried to park the Suburban. Those arent small. As far as my wife parking it,......Forget about it. I mean she does fine but we usually walk farther if shes driving.

Bottom line in mho is go with the Mega Cab, the kids will be more comfy which in turn so will you.

The only downside I see is that you living in cali you may get more looks from those smoothie swilling, tree hugging, card carrying PETA pounders becouse of the size and fuel consumtion. [sm=smokin.gif]

And speaking of, I say go with the diesel! Best towing rig, more dependable, longer lasting, higher resale, and much better MPG. My QC short box (Hemi) got on average 14.5 empty towing was at 7-9 and if I drove it (empty) like I wanted to it was a solid 11. [:'(]

Good luck!

Old 11-08-2006, 08:52 PM
rumpumpkin
Rookie

BlkRam,

Good point on the overkill 70% of the time, but loving it when you really need it. I can totally relate to that. And yes, the kids do sometimes drive me nuts on long drives. I actually test drove a Mega Cab this past weekend. IMHO, it blows away the GMC Duramax I drove. Just felt stronger, sat high like a truck should sit, and drove firm like a 3500 should.

Don't get me started on the tree huggers and tofu chewers. That would be a reason for me to go bigger and badder. Saw a flame red Mega cab 4x4 lifted about 6 inches with 37 inch tires yesterday while out to lunch. Me and my buddy stood around and drooled for awhile. I'll probably just go with a leveling kit and 33" tires, but that big red monster was quite a piece of Mopar eye candy.

Thanks again for the reply.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:58 PM
motorider228
Champion

Get the mega cab. I am 18 and have a rcsb 2wd hemi ram. I live in vegas with no snow so the 4x4 was not needed and since i am 18 my only passenger is my girlfriend. with that said, my dream truck is a mega cab 2500 4x4 cummins fully loaded. I think that truck is perfect for a family because I will be able to throw my dirtbike in the back with camping gear and tow my jeep and i'll be good. The QC is a good truck too but I think for a family the mega cab is the best. Some day I will own the rolls royce of trucks and hopefully you get one now since you can obviously afford it if you are considering it. Go for the mega cab, your kids will thank you and you will be happier because they won't bug the **** out of you on long trips.......as much haha.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:13 PM
damquick1
Veteran

I wish I'd had gone for 2500 or even the 3500 in a Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins, I have the QC and love it but would do it differently now. Only issue I've seen with the Mega is the air con complaints...and that could possibly sway me. For the price of one, it should have good A/C.....I'd better be able to hang meat in it.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:09 AM
rumpumpkin
Rookie

motorider: Wow, I'm impressed, quite a forward thinking response for an 18yo. You may not yet have the rolls-royce of trucks, but at least you have an 18yo girlfriend...lol. BTW, I'm 44.

damquick: Yes, I have heard about the ac problems, and it concerns me as well. I live in the Sacramento valley here in California, where it can also get hot as Hell in the summer. I wonder if those issues were only with the early production runs, or perhaps not an issue with each and every mega cab? Hopefully someone will chime in on that for us. I would assume that when people go to test drive these in the summer, the ac is cranked up for the test drives?

Thanks guys, so far the votes seem to be in favor of the Mega. Hoping the cashback offers go from the current $2500 to $4000 in December. Would also like to place an order and get the 5.9L as opposed to the new 6.7L with emissions.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:33 AM
BlkRam69
Professional

My ac has been no prob.

I will say however the ac works like the heat. In a diesel the heat (motor) can take up to 10-15 minutes to reach temp. (heated seats really help here in the mid west winters)

Now I'm not sure if its just the Mega Cab, early production, or what but the ac is the same (5-10 minutes) so if your just going arond the block (2 or 3 times) roll down the window but on the longer trips it gets cold enough you could definately hang meat

And as far as 18 year olds go........ I had a '77 dodge conversion van with wall to wall ****, sink, fake fireplace (with heat lamp) and of course the bed / mirrors in the backwhen I was 18. Thats when we still had drive ins......

With the Mega Cab if I ever get nostalgic theres enough room when you fold down the seats to put a full size (as in full, queen, king) bed in the back and and hang some aged meat of my own[8D]

Old 11-09-2006, 02:15 AM
motorider228
Champion

rumpumpkin-where in sac do you live, I was born in the east bay and lived in folsom until I was 16. That area is awesome for camping, I miss going to the rubicon every summer. I live in vegas now though so it's still cool and not far from there.

blkram69-the single cab does me alright in that department, i'm used to it as my last truck was a lifted 98 ram. Not as fun or as comfortable as a conversion van though haha.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:05 AM
Ringwraith
Rookie

Is there actually more leg room in the back of the Mega cab? Looking at this pic, it seems like the extra room is "behind" the rear seats.

Having said that...
I have the QC with a 9yr old boy & 6 yr old girl. It's great for us but if we had another kid I'm not sure I'd be comfortable sticking one in the middle full time. Especially as they grow & get taller. The middle seat is more of a temp seat if you will. There's no head rest on it. (at least my 04, maybe the newer ons have them?) I've never been in the mega cab but when you check them out, get in the back seat yourself & see how comfy they are compared to the QC's. When I was shopping for a new ride, I sat in the back to see how it feels as a tall man. If I thought it was ok then my growing boy should be ok until he gets taller than me! lol

I'd be concerned about the AC though. I don't think it's something they fixed but I could be wrong. From what I've read, they use the same AC for reg cab, quad cab & mega cab. I don't think they've changed that.

Cheers & have fun shopping!
Sean

Old 11-09-2006, 04:11 AM
motorider228
Champion

I believe the mega cab just has the extra room behind the seat. Thats good so that seat can recline like a regular cab and it makes it way more comfortable. That ac thing is interesting, I figured they would use a different compressor or something for the QC and the MC. But maybe that explains why my RC is sooo damn cold when the ac is pumping haha.

Quick Reply: Mega cab versus Quad - Can't decide