3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

breaking tires free 4.7 qc

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006 | 12:46 AM
gordo24fan
Professional
Default RE: breaking tires free 4.7 qc

No, Parts and labor combined were $620. Labor alone was around $250-$260. I agree with you that $1000 would be ridicuous to pay.

Old 12-11-2006 | 01:40 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: hemiyellow

see, it's all a matter of personal preference. personally, if i had to chose again between a 4.7 and a 5.9, i'd take the 5.9 over the 4.7 any day of the week. i'm not a fan of the 4.7, even after owning one, they just dont impress me what-so-ever. but to each their own and if the 4.7 is what you like, then have fun with it, i'm just saying that in my personal opinion and in the opinions of other people i have talked to and the other techs i work with at the dealership, the 4.7 just isnt that great.

It has NOTHING to do with personal preference! It has EVERYTHING to do with the current information and availability at that time of purchase! And as I mentioned above I chose the 4.7L because it was in FACT superior to the 5.9L and it was scheduled to have a future with Chrysler and the after market. If I was in the market today I would chose the 5.7L ... BECAUSE ITS AN OPTION TODAY!

The opinions you have and "of other people you have talked too" are a very SMALL%. EVERY DEALERSHIP in the USA has 4 times as many 5.9L & 5.7L come in for ENGINE related service then the 4.7L... This is a FACT! Not a "PERSONAL OPINION"! At this time the 4.7L is more reliable then the 5.7L & 5.9L. (Please NOTE that I did NOT say more powerful from the factory).

Since the 4.7L and 5.9L where my only choices Let me HELP YOU UNDERSTAND my choice. Not only did the 4.7L Ram FEEL stronger than the 5.9L It flat out-performed the 5.9L on the several test drives! That alone was enough to help me decide to chose the 4.7L over it! Then add the fact that the 5.9L was in its LAST year of production, this only helped me make up my mind. Why would I chose the weaker of the two engines?

NOW since the 4.7L is only 287ci and
235 bhp (175 kW) @ 4800 rpm (50.0 bhp/L)
295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm) @ 3200 rpm

The 5.9L 360ci:
245 bhp (183 kW) @ 4000 rpm, (39.0 bhp/liter)
335 lb.-ft. (454 Nm) @ 3200 rpm

Clearly the 4.7L is NOT very far behind and is only 10HP less then the 5.9L with 73ci over the 4.7L... So this clearly defines potential! The torque on the 5.9L is inharant of the larger stroke... But Its within obtainable reach of the 4.7L!

now as far as you being able to walk away from most quad cab rams with the hemi, well i would hope so considering the mods you have. take a hemi and put those same mods on it and then see how it fairs.

but i aint gonna sit here and argue with ya about whats the best, if you like the 4.7 then have fun with it man
I dont see your point? Have fun with it? I don't have a HEMI.... and the mods are not interchangeable... so how could I take them off my truck and put them on a HEMI I don't have. To do what your sugesting would mean I would have to purchase a brand new HEMI RAM! that would cost approximately 450-500 bucks a month... well it will cost that much if I want to pay it off anytime soon. So your talking about a $25,000+ mod! That could go a long way on my PAID FOR 4.7L!

Are you trying to make the point that "there is no replacement for displacement"? If you are then you must have missed everything I was saying! Let me sum it up for you .... The displacement was NOT AVAILABLE at the time of my purchase and this is the case for MANY of us.

And just because you made bad choices with your mods and you failed to make your 4.7L perform well does NOT mean the 4.7L does not have potential... it just means you didn't know what you where doing. Anyone can BUY factory HP, and from what you have been saying, it sounds like you should stick to that approach. Making more with less should be left to those who have experience.

Also please dont take me for some NEWBE who does not know what Im talking about... If I really want to go fast I will take out my 69 Pontiac Firebird, with over 650lbs@3,000RPMS all the way to 5800RPMs its more than enough to fill my need for speed. I know all about Cubic inches!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 12-11-2006 | 03:08 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

well first off, you have no right to say i dont know what i was doing because you do not know me nor do you know anything about me. and as far as problems with the 5.9 and 5.7, we have far more problems related to the 4.7 come in within 2 months then we do 5.9 or 5.7 problems. anyone knows you cant pull parts from the 4.7 and put em on the 5.7. and it does have something to do with personal preference, you had the choice to get the 5.9 or the 4.7 and you chose the 4.7. and you have totally overlooked what i have been trying to say, you chose what you chose and thats fine. the 4.7 is a damn good engine for the likes of a Jeep GC or a Durango or a Dakota (IMO), but personally i dont see that it's fit for the ram. what i have been saying is my own personal opinion, so slow your roll and get off my back and dont you try and talk to me like i'm not a new person here either. i may not have been around in the days when the car manufacturers made the good stuff, but i do know about the new era DCX stuff. remember that me chosing the 5.9 and 5.7 over the 4.7, even after owning a 5.9 and a 4.7, those are MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS. opinions are something everyone has and i was just stating mine and you are stating yours

also, to reiterate what i have been trying to say, this comes right from the forum rules:
"While debating and discussion is fine, respect your fellow enthusiasts. Being of a diverse background, members are likely to express different opinions, and while opinions may differ from yours, they are just that, opinions; and everyone is entitled to express theirs freely."

so like i have been trying to do is solely express my own opinion

cumminalong, no offence takin...was just havin a bad day the other day. but yah i know people dont know what various things are

Old 12-11-2006 | 03:58 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

well first off, you have no right to say i dont know what i was doing because you do not know me nor do you know anything about me. and as far as problems with the 5.9 and 5.7, we have far more problems related to the 4.7 come in within 2 months then we do 5.9 or 5.7 problems. anyone knows you cant pull parts from the 4.7 and put em on the 5.7. and it does have something to do with personal preference, you had the choice to get the 5.9 or the 4.7 and you chose the 4.7. and you have totally overlooked what i have been trying to say, you chose what you chose and thats fine. the 4.7 is a damn good engine for the likes of a Jeep GC or a Durango or a Dakota (IMO), but personally i dont see that it's fit for the ram. what i have been saying is my own personal opinion, so slow your roll and get off my back and dont you try and talk to me like i'm not a new person here either. i may not have been around in the days when the car manufacturers made the good stuff, but i do know about the new era DCX stuff. remember that me chosing the 5.9 and 5.7 over the 4.7, even after owning a 5.9 and a 4.7, those are MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS. opinions are something everyone has and i was just stating mine and you are stating yours

also, to reiterate what i have been trying to say, this comes right from the forum rules:
"While debating and discussion is fine, respect your fellow enthusiasts. Being of a diverse background, members are likely to express different opinions, and while opinions may differ from yours, they are just that, opinions; and everyone is entitled to express theirs freely."

so like i have been trying to do is solely express my own opinion

cumminalong, no offence takin...was just havin a bad day the other day. but yah i know people dont know what various things are

I Like how you feel you can predict what I do but as soon as I spell it out for you you get all twisted...LOL

If you took offense to anything I said then perhaps you should be the one to "SLOW YOUR ROLL"... I cant believe I hurt your feelings... when did the forums start getting so sensitive? Thats what happens when they stop teaching contact sports in School now days... what a shame. I guess I'm sorry I hurt your feelings... (NOT REALLY) I will try to add a bit more sugar to what I say just for you.

As for me overlooking what you where trying to say... You said it PERFECTLY CLEAR in your first post on this subject:

shoulda got a hemi

It was you jump right into a 4.7L subject and literally added nothing to the subject! (Sugar) The subject is ... let me quote it for you just in case you missed it
breaking tires free 4.7 qc
... It possible I missed your assistance... but I dont think I did. He did not ask... "How does my STOCK 4.7L stack up to the 5.9L and 5.7L" (Sugar)(Sugar)

So perhaps you where to high on your HEMI horse and way to eager to flex your HEMI PRIDE to offer him any measurable advice to his question. (Sugar) Or perhaps you honestly don't know how to make any decent HP with a 4.7L...<---(we both know thats the correct answer)(Sugar)(Sugar) then the question should be why did you respond in the first place since you have NOTHING to offer? (Sugar)(Sugar) Call me crazy but your the one who is in the wrong tread on the wrong subject with NOTHING to add, if anyone is out of line its YOU! (Sugar)

We are all happy you where able to afford to jump on the HEMI band wagon... (Sugar) But unfortunately we are ALL not in the same financial position as you are. So to suggest that he go trade his 4.7L in for a HEMI just so he can spin his tires is RUDE for one and is not a valid answer to his question!(Sugar)

As for your MIS INFORMATION about the 4.7L... What ever you want to believe... (Sugar)(Sugar) I guess thats your personal choice. But do remember there are several THOUSANDS more 4.7L engines on the road then the 5.7L and even then there are more 5.7L in the shop ANY DAY of the week. Again just the facts. I'm not sure where you get your information but you may want to broaden your sources of information, the one you use is not very accurate. (Sugar)(Sugar)(HONEY)

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 12-11-2006 | 05:46 AM
20brewcity02
Professional

AMEN

Old 12-11-2006 | 08:06 AM
cumminalong

Cool! We've all been there man.

Old 12-11-2006 | 12:37 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

ha ha ha, it's funny that you think i took offence to anything that you said but whatever floats your boat dude. i see you cant deal when people have a bad opinion about the 4.7 and you feel as though you have to defend it but whatever man

and as far as jumping into the 4.7 subject, i never said i had anything to add, i was just stating my opinions

Old 12-11-2006 | 01:50 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

ha ha ha, it's funny that you think i took offence to anything that you said but whatever floats your boat dude. i see you cant deal when people have a bad opinion about the 4.7 and you feel as though you have to defend it but whatever man

and as far as jumping into the 4.7 subject, i never said i had anything to add, i was just stating my opinions
And you only proved your OPINION is worthless... What kind of answer is that? And that was more of a RUDE remark than an opinion and thats how you intended it to be taken. Your one of those HEMI guys who I LOVE to humble with my 4.7L QC... I know your a SMALL few and not all HEMI owners are stuck on them selfs and their HEMIs as you are. Its too bad you have to jump in and RUIN a good tread with your in experienced trash talking.

I know you will have more to say, but all I hear from you is [sm=bs.gif] BLA BLA BLA BLA! Its too bad we are unable to MUTE individuals who have NOTHING intelligent to say.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 12-11-2006 | 01:58 PM
cumminalong

I took no offense to it at all. There is a difference between taking offense and just showing a little etiquette. That's all I was doing. If I took offense or felt that I had to defend him, then it's a different story.

Personally it wouldn't suit my needs, but I got all the tools I need to break tires loose. I just prefer not to tear up a $400 set of tires just for a smoke show; got easier ways to do that. [:-]

What I like about what he said is that he wasn't quick to jump on an advertising bandwagon, which a lot of guys do. Every engine has it's place, if it's what the person using it needs. The 4.7 vs 5.9 (gas) vs 5.7 is all well and good and to each there own.

I've said this a million times to folks, "It's your money, it's your choice, get what works for YOU!". I hold absolutely no loyalty to a vehicle manufacturer. I owe them $$$, they owe me what I pay for.

I give less than a rats what somebody else thinks of someone elses vehicle decision. When that person pays for my vehicle, then I'll give them some say in what I drive. Until that day.......

Back to the original subject. If you wanna smoke both, you need power to both, whatever form that power comes from. Sooooo, you need a traction aid (i.e. locker or GOOD LS unit). All the power in the world does no good when it goes to the wheel with the least traction.

Old 12-11-2006 | 05:38 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

ORIGINAL: cumminalong
I took no offense to it at all. There is a difference between taking offense and just showing a little etiquette. That's all I was doing. If I took offense or felt that I had to defend him, then it's a different story.

[/quote]

my last posted was not directed at you, sorry for the confusion man

Quick Reply: breaking tires free 4.7 qc