3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

breaking tires free 4.7 qc

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006 | 05:59 PM
MrSlug
Veteran
Default RE: breaking tires free 4.7 qc

AIR RAM,

Just go down the dealer, trade in your ride (an take it in the shorts), then do a zero down on a SRT10. Heck the payments would only be link 900 a month or so. Then add the extended warrenty, GAP, maintence package, paint sealent, GPS tracker.... Heck you can pay to send the salesman's kid to college!

... What are you waiting for!

Old 12-11-2006 | 06:03 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

So we went through all that drama to come back to gears. BTW, you will still need to powerbrake the 4.7 to get a good spin and with powerbraking, both wheels will spin. Once spinning, both will continue to spin.
I know. I have open diffs and can leave a good 40+ feet of dual black lines......

Old 12-11-2006 | 06:18 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: stump_breaker

So we went through all that drama to come back to gears. BTW, you will still need to powerbrake the 4.7 to get a good spin and with powerbraking, both wheels will spin. Once spinning, both will continue to spin.
I know. I have open diffs and can leave a good 40+ feet of dual black lines......
Even power braking, you aren't necessarilly going to break both free. Can it? Yes, but if there is any difference in traction between the 2 tires the one with less traction will break first and may continue on it's own. Adding brakes "can" get the other tire to spin, but that is applying equal pressure on tires that already have unequal traction. That's why.......

You need a LSD! With a clutch type limited slip, power braking works well as it loads the clutch packs (using the brakes to even the load) by keeping it within it's torque spec. This equalizes the torque (sort of) and turns them both. Now with a helical LSD, like the TrueTrac, a powerbrake will turn both, even if it's at slightly different speeds.

All clutch type LSD's have a break away point, just like a clutch pack in the tranny. It can only hold so much weight, then it lets go. On most OEM units, it's usually quite low, in the 100 - 125 lb/ft range. Like if you have one tire on pavement and one on dirt, stomping on it may overlaod the LS and just spin the one on the dirt. Applying the brakes will will only slow down the other tire as it's applying equal force to both.

Noooooooow....lockers baby. I had ARB's front and back of my last ride. Activate and burn on demand. Stomp on the V10.....nice little patch. Power brake the V10, prepare for meltdown.

Old 12-14-2006 | 03:24 AM
gordo24fan
Professional

can't we all just get along...LOL.

Old 02-14-2007 | 06:13 PM
Gone

Why did you guys just not buy a SRT-10?? NOTHING (at least as far as trucks) will even give it a race. Mine is running in the high 12's and with NO2---low 12's

Quick Reply: breaking tires free 4.7 qc