3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When to do first oil change on a Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Steelersfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to do first oil change on a Hemi

I have about 2K miles on my 2007 Dodge Hemi beast. My last vehical was a 1999 VW Jetta VR6 and I rememeber that they had a 'special' oil in at the factory that you weren't supposed to change until 5 thousand miles. Did this truck come with 'special' factory oil that you need to leave in for a certain number of miles?

Also, I noticed that I am down about a quarter of a quart (maybe less). Is this normal?

Love the truck although the gas use is killing me. Can't help myself starting out fast from a dead stop which obviously is hurting my mpg.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:51 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran
Default RE: When to do first oil change on a Hemi

I would change it right away. I make it a habit on new vehicles to change the oil after 1000 miles. My concern is with any machining remnants that mightbe presentin the engine. There is no special oil though.
It can't hurt to do it early, but it might hurt to wait.
My 2 cents.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Steelersfan

Good point.

Another question. The truck is leased (but will probabaly buy when lease is up). You need to save maintenance records so does this mean that I can't change it myself? Is a receipt for oil and filters 'proof' of maintenance or should I have it changed by Dodge?

Also, should I go synthetic?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:24 AM
DelawareDon
Professional

You can change the oil yourself. I would keep a "maintenance log", to which I would staple receipts for oil and filters that I purchased. Regarding synthetics: My practice is to change the oil on a new vehicle at 1000 miles, and to replace the factory oil with a high-quality synthetic, such as Amsoil or Mobil 1. However, please be aware that since your Hemi is an MDS engine, you will need to run 5-20 weight oil.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Steelersfan

Thanks Don,

Yes, I have read that you MUST use the 5W-20 and I will do that.

Is the oil filter easy to get to?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:14 PM
DCXgageman
Veteran

Filter is on the front, passenger side of the motor, easy to spot. I doubt you'll even need to lift the truck to do the oil, I know I don't. I went to Mobil 1 at 2500 miles, no issues.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:39 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I didn't know you had to keep maintenance records for a lease. Glad I buy then, cause I try to keep them, but they always disappear.

The factory uses no special oil AFAIK. I changed mine at 500 miles and then at 3K. I used dino oil until 15K when I switched over to synthetic. It kept the numbers simple to remember. 3K until 15K then every 5K after that. I used Mobil 1 in bulk from Wally World.

As mentioned, make sure you use the 5w-20 in the MDS Hemis. I'm a pretty big guy and had no problem getting under my 2wd truck to change the oil. I still drove up the ramps so that I can use my creeper though.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

on my truck i always find it easier to stand on the little step on the bumper and get to the filter from up top, instead of going under it.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:02 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The highest precision fits are inside the hydraulic lifters
and to protect these tight clearances and break them in properly
it is a good idea to change the oil every 500-1000 miles
the first three changes
when the engine is new.

MDS lifters are even more high tech.

The engine bores, rings and bearings don't really need the early oil changes but the hydraulic lifters do, but you won't see the benefits of this until the engine has more than 100,000 miles.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:57 AM
cjackso

I agree with osteodoc, I once read that if you go to synthetic right away it slows down the break in process. I don't think I will use synthetic until I get about 5000 miles on my truck

Quick Reply: When to do first oil change on a Hemi