3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Picked up a miss and a vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:42 PM
dljdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a miss and a vibration

This morning on the way to work my usually silky smooth hemi started to miss, tick, and vibrate. I stopped and it died. I got it going again finally got it into gear so I could get to work, and made it by keeping the RPMs up with one foot on the brake and one on the gas.
Symptoms: a loud mettalic click that varies a little with the rpm level. It actually seemed to smooth out under acceleration. A pretty heavy vibration. Won't stay running under 1500 rpm.
My 04 2500 Ram has 55000 miles on it. I bought it used about 2 months ago. What is the warrenty on it? Do I have to go back to the dealer I bought it from? Any ideas?

Dave

Old 02-22-2007, 01:49 PM
BigNelly07
Professional
Default RE: Picked up a miss and a vibration

from what you describe... TO ME..... it sounds like either a busted rocker arm, collapsed lifter, or a spun rod bearing. The vibration leads me to believe a spun rod bearing.

Get it to a shop/dealer NOW! If it is a catastrophic failure, the sooner you get it looked at, the less damage you will do to other parts...

BUT, I could be wrong too.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:32 PM
dljdad

It did seem like a lifter to me. Are Hemis suseptible to lifter problems?

Dave

Old 02-22-2007, 05:21 PM
BigNelly07
Professional

from what I am reading on here.......yes. Then again, the users on here say the transmission sucks, the rearend is weak, and a whole host of other issues.

BUT

I still love my truck!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:54 AM
04 flowmastered hemi

I have heard of a possible broken valve spring problem. I picked up on it in consumer reports or lemonade when I was looking into these trucks and motors.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:37 PM
dljdad

I'll say this, when you call the Chrysler line they have a ow truck to you fast. I'll let you know when the dealership finds out.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:59 PM
dljdad

Yup....just talked to the service manager. Valve spring broke, dropped the valve. While they haven't removed the head yet, when they tried to turn it over it locked up the engine. He was sure they would find a bad piston and probably a hurt cylinder. He said Chrysler requires a cost analysis between a short block and head work vs a long block but felt sure I would get a complete new motor out of it. No problem with the warranty and should be done by next wed-thursday.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:47 PM
deanj287
Captain

wow thats the first 04 ive heard about doing that. the weak springs are in the early model 03 hemi's! later models had different springs as far as i know. hell that would be sweet to drop a vlave under warranty to get a new engine.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:25 PM
dljdad

OK,They replaced the piston, the head assemblyand,for reasons I cannot comprehend,the intake. The service manager said Chrysler's cost analysis determined the course of action.I asked him if I should swap out the valve springs on the other head and he saidChrysler says don't worry aboutit buthe would talk to the techs and ask their opinion.
Should be done tomorrow...the dog and I miss our truck.
Should I be concerned...obviously I am....should I askfor some different forms of documentation that might help in the future if I have a problem?
Dave

Quick Reply: Picked up a miss and a vibration