3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rumor mill - HEMI's drop valves???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 06:26 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rumor mill - HEMI's drop valves???

It isn't so unusual that a valve spring breaks. They even have problems with them in race engines and those springs are x-rayed for defects. I suppose that even some bad ones get through whatever inspection/QC happens.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:16 PM
yooformula
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

It isn't so unusual that a valve spring breaks. They even have problems with them in race engines and those springs are x-rayed for defects. I suppose that even some bad ones get through whatever inspection/QC happens.
ON A PRODUCTION VEHICLE???? Sure aftermarket springs break all the time as do race applications since they are custom made but production springs. Come on. I havent heard of a single LS1 motor blowing up a stock spring on a STOCK application and those motors routinely see 6000-6300 rpms.

I could understand an aftermarket cam with more lift and faster ramps but not stock. They didnt design their spring very well if they are dropping valves, no excuses about it.

Arcane, sure warranty will fix it but something like this shouldnt be breaking. If there is a tsb for it, then that means there is a problem which also means poor quality control. Besides I dont know about you, but I dont want my brand NEW motor being ripped apart by any tech at a dealership unless they are a personal friend of mine. Most dealers are more worried about getting them in and out than actually fixing a problem. Bandaids are cheaper than a real fix.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:22 AM
hemiwolf
Rookie

yooformula, I couldn't agree more. I don't know of any mass production vehicle that has had spring breakage listed as one of its known faults.

Arcane, even if the dealership rebuilds it, what are they going to put in there? The same kind of spring.. out of the same parts box.. off the same assembly line. You aren't going to be much better off.

That said, I'm not some whiney guy who wants everything handed too me.. There are plenty of things I just assume take care of myself. The worst part of all this is, after looking at how the engine is stuffed so far under the windshield, I don't think I could even pull the heads to replace the springs myself without yanking the entire engine... I don't have the facilities to do that??? who does? that is a seriously heavy engine and the clearence you would need to completely clear the front bumber after the suspension expands probably couldn't even be had by a standard cherry picker. This may be one of the main reasons a recall hasn't happened. The labor costs that Dodge would have to eat would be astronomical. Every HEMI?? every truck? every magnum? every 300?? that is a huge number of HEMI's to pull. And a huge number of vehicles on the road that might be safety time bombs. A recall probably won't happen until someone gets hurt because of it. sad but true.

If I was the NHTSA, I would be watching this very closely.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:58 AM
moparturd
Banned

ON A PRODUCTION VEHICLE???? Sure aftermarket springs break all the time as do race applications since they are custom made but production springs. Come on. I havent heard of a single LS1 motor blowing up a stock spring on a STOCK application and those motors routinely see 6000-6300 rpms.
Sure. Why not? How do you know it's a design flaw and not a QC/manufacturer problem. The LS1 basic design is how old, 40-50 years. It had better not break at all, which we know they do. THe Hemi has some decent life numbers as well 472" I/460" E. That's pretty respectable for a production truck engine let alone a production HIPO engine like an ls1.
I really do think this is a something other than a design problem.

Old 08-26-2004, 12:34 PM
hemiwolf
Rookie

Look, I see it like this...

Assuming NHTSA's website is correct, and there was a TSB put out by Dodge in November '02 (shortly after the HEMI came out) for valve spring breakage...
AND
Assuming ksb's post earlier in this thread is true, he bought an 04 that died of the same problem...
THEN....
I could care less if its a QC issue, a manufacturing issue, or a fundamental design flaw. Dodge has been aware of it for some time, and still continues to sell the engine without resolving the problem. I find this lack of action unsafe, unprofessional, irresponsible and unacceptable. (and any more "negative nancy" words I can toss in there. )

Old 08-26-2004, 05:11 PM
hemiwolf
Rookie

Check out this link from dodgetrucks.org

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53770

It would make sense that the valve spring issue and noise are related. Don't you think?

Old 08-26-2004, 07:11 PM
moparturd
Banned

It could be, but I'm not totally convinced. I've recently purchased an automotive stethoscope and will listen to this engine with it. I'm going to try to at least pin down a region where the noise is coming from. I've heard valve slap before on other vehicles and the tapping noise I faintly hear isn't the same. I'm curious if we are hearing the same noise.

Old 08-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Sean99TJ

ORIGINAL: hemiwolf

Arcane, You are correct. Any failure should be covered under warranty. I'm more concerned about safety. And the concept of responsible manufacturing. If this was a faulty radio, or a faulty power window switch.. who really cares. when it goes it goes. But faulty springs in an intrusion type valve train. No way. Not something you just "sit around and wait for it to fail." The best case scenario is the valve hangs somewhat open and you lose power. That in itself could prove dangerous if you are in the middle of passing a SEMI on a country rd (something I do often) or something to that affect. There is of course a worse case scenario .... valve cracks piston.. rod breaks free from piston and tears threw the block... engine parts go everywhere. drivetrain seises.. truck jackknife's into a ditch or oncoming traffic...

Anyone who thinks I am over reacting please feel free to say so. But valve springs have been around for ever and this engine doesn't even rev very high. I'm upset because Dodge obviously went and got some stinking cheap A$$ springs from somewhere instead of spending the extra change to build a quality product. With a $35K sticker you think they could have done a bit better you know? Maybe they will make it an option in 2005.. I'll gladly check the box that says "$20 bucks for high quality valve prings"
I really don't think the Diamler Chrysler is going to jeoperdize (-2 sp.) their future by saving a buck or 2 on springs....the Hemi is their heart and soul now...5.7....6.1 I don't care. It is going into jeeps, station wagons, sedans, sport coupes...and trucks. They will go bankrupt (again) if the Hemi falls on its face.

Old 08-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Sean99TJ

another question would be...what kind of driving? Are these guys going to the strip every Saturday to try to run 13s or better....any of them spraying? It seems to me a large number of the folks on here are into performance....and that does sometimes cause things to go bad....also I broke a valve spring on my 84 corvette....which was a production engine...no drag racing....**** happens.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:17 PM
hemiwolf
Rookie

mopartodd,

That seems like a good idea. Please let me know what you discover.

Quick Reply: rumor mill - HEMI's drop valves???