3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rumor mill - HEMI's drop valves???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 07:46 PM
hemiwolf
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rumor mill - HEMI's drop valves???

I was reading a few posts on other dodge and/or truck forums and am starting to see a pattern of HEMI owners having a valve stuck open/closed or the valve actaully dropping completely right around 30K miles??? Has anyone else heard these rumors? Has anyone who works at a dealership seen or heard of any TSB's on the issue? I'm a bit concerned since my valve train chatters like a deisel and I'm fast approaching 20K miles already.

thanks,
Hemiwolf

Old 08-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Hemizombie
Default RE: rumor mill - HEMI's drop valves???

I have heard this too from a couple people, one here at work, and a buddy in my neighborhood. I'm starting to wonder myself about these dang things!

Old 08-23-2004, 10:42 PM
yooformula

Try this. I found a ton of stuff for the Durango, maybe theres some stuff for the Ram..

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...aintsearch.cfm

Old 08-23-2004, 10:55 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the first I've heard mention of a potential problem. I have somebody I can check with to see if there's any word.

Where were you reading these posts at? I visit several Dodge boards and have never seen anyone mention this. I'll keep my eyes open though.

Get us some links if you can.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:45 AM
hemiwolf
Rookie

Thanks for the link to NHTSA

Sure enough complaints are out there as well as a service bullitin regarding valve spring breakage.
check it out using the following link and information.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...aintsearch.cfm

Make : DODGE Model : RAM Year : 2003
Service Bulletin Num : 02021
Date of Bulletin: NOV 04, 2002
NHTSA Item Number: 10000442
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

This sucks! I am going to call the dealership TODAY and see what they can do BEFORE my engine takes a giant heaping crap all over the place.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:58 AM
moparturd
Banned

Hemiwolf. I saw the complaint you were talking about. I'm not familiar with the NHSTA site and how they compile information on vehicles, but it seemed that this is just one incident. Is that right? What is the "service bulletin number" above and what does it reference to? Is this dealer related?
Thanks for the information and let us know what the dealer said.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:44 AM
hemiwolf
Rookie

The technical Service Bulletin number is a DODGE issued notice that DODGE sends out to all the dealerships making them aware of the problem. Amazingly enough, dealerships will often deny a widespread problem exists unless YOU TELL THEM the TSB number directly. Even then they will still try to find some reason not to address it under warrenty. I believe you are right about the NHTSA complaint being a single compaint. But I have seen lots of others with the problem on the web. pickuptrucks.com I think had several with the issue. The fact that DODGE has a TSB on the issue is proof enough for me that I should be concerned and make a phone call. I will ceratinly let you know what the dealership says.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:01 PM
moparturd
Banned

Thanks man. Good luck with the dealership. When valve springs break, REAL bad things happen.[sm=sigh.gif]

Old 08-24-2004, 12:23 PM
hemiwolf
Rookie

I called the dealership, they were not very helpful. They would not confirm for me that the TSB even exists. I also could not find the TSB on ALLDATA.com which is usually fantastic for such things. I'm a bit confused, have made an apointment to have the truck looked at, and can't do much more until "REAL bad things happen." If anyone else can shed any light on the issue it would be appreciated.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:29 PM
moparturd
Banned

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Several months ago I had a similar situation with my Intrepid. I had heard that a TSB was issued for a defective floor shifter and of course the dealership denied it. Two weeks ago I received a recall notice to have it fixed.

Quick Reply: rumor mill - HEMI's drop valves???