3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips flashpack--- regular unleaded?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Hessmonster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips flashpack--- regular unleaded?

Hey everyone, I want my 2004, 2500 hemi 5.7 to have more horse power. I've been looking at the flashpack but I can't find any info on horespower gains with 87 octane gas. Can anyone tell me what they found out running 87 octane? I like bang for the buck, but I want to be sure I'm getting some more pony's for my $350-$450 bucks.

Thanks Scott

Old 03-05-2007, 11:24 PM
buffgator
Rookie
Default RE: Superchips flashpack--- regular unleaded?

Your not going to go wrong with a flashpaq. Max HP gain is 17.8 hp @ 3550rpm and Max Torq gain is 26.3 ft/lbs @ 3550rpm.
Peak HP gain is 12.7 hp @ 5350rpm and Peak Torq gain is 9.9 ft/lbs @ 4350rpm. That what superchips claims.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Hessmonster
Rookie

Is that with Super Unleaded or Regular Unleaded? With the high cost of Super I don't want to run it all the time.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:44 PM
buffgator
Rookie

Thats with 91 octane, sure its more, but its only like 20 cents more. Thats like 4 dollars a tank

Old 03-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Hessmonster
Rookie

4 DOLLORS, ARE YOU KIDDING? Well I'm kind of frugal, or as my girlfriend calls me "cheap". I would still like to know what the gains are for regular unleaded.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2007, 12:15 AM
helopilot
Veteran

I actually got better gas mileage with the performance tune and 93 octane. I actually ended up saving money overall running 93 octane.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Hessmonster
Rookie

O.K. but I still want to know the horsepower gains for 81 Octane. I've seen some of your posts that you tested the superchips. Did you try it with 81 octane?

Old 03-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Foiled
Veteran

They do not give the horsepower gains when you use the Tow safe mode. It is setup for towing and you are not going for HP you are trying to save that transmission. It changes the shifts.

You will see better MPG if you switch to 91+ octane and can keep your foot out.

That is why you use 91 octane gas, you need the higher heat and faster burn to get a boost. It is all about the fuel/air and timing that lets a tuner boost your power. Dodge doesn't do this sort of tune from the factory because they would sell fewer trucks if you were required to put in 91+ octane.

I have always run 91+ in all of my automobiles for many reasons. First both of my cars require 91+ and I have not had any sort of fuel issues. My Avenger is a 1996 and I have never had to change any fuel delivery parts yet. When I had my first spark plug change a year ago they told me I did not need one. That they looks fine but I was doing preventive maintenance anyway so still had them changed. 10 years on factory plugs and I only noticed a very little power gain after they replaced them not bad if you ask me. The dealership told me I must have keep it serviced and kept good clean gas in it all those years, they where right. I used Amoco Gold for many many years when they sold the clear formula. It made the car run like a champ.

Just my $0.02 on fuel choice.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:57 AM
BgBluRam
Captain

ORIGINAL: Foiled

You will see better MPG if you switch to 91+ octane and can keep your foot out.
That is why you use 91 octane gas, you need the higher heat and faster burn to get a boost.
I agree and disagree. Yes you need the 91 octane in order to get the increase with the superchips, however it is not because 91 octane burns hotter or faster in fact, 91 octane actually burns cooler, than 87 octane. The lower the octane, the higher the temperature, and vise versa.

This is why when you advance timing in a race car(which is what a chip does incombination with changing shift patterns) you must run a cooler burning fuel IE C12=108oct. .. Just a little fact on the matter.

Quick Reply: Superchips flashpack--- regular unleaded?