4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bakflip HD - not so HD

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010 | 09:05 AM
oldjeep
|
Champion

Originally Posted by Rockinroad
It is true that the HD and aluminum G-2 are subject to hail damage to the same extent as the skin of your truck.

When a customer asks if he really needs the new FRP coated F-1, I always ask where he lives and if he has ever had any hail damage to a vehicle.
Unfortunately when I purchased mine the F1 was not available, the G2 had plastic skin and the HD was said to be the beefiest version. I'm not real sure what the difference is between a G2 and HD anymore.

I've given the same advice to people on other threads - if there is a chance of hail where you live then the HD won't cut it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much stronger the F1 version is. I'm guessing it should be here in a week or 2.

Old 04-07-2010 | 06:43 PM
moparfreak77
Rookie

I'm not sure why if you cover hard plastic in soft aluminum you can call it heavy duty. I would think it would be the other way around. I had a choice when I bought mine and there were cases of people getting the HD as a free upgrade without asking for it, I told them I wanted the G2 or didnt want one at all.

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:33 PM
oldjeep
|
Champion

I received the replacement cover today, a BakFlip F1. They have made some improvements and changes since my HD was made.

1st off - the packaging is 1000% better than the way my HD was packaged
2nd - the bed rails were about 1cm longer and got much closer to the tailgate. The front edges were cut square instead of being notched to protrude further up the top of the bed side.
3rd - a seal was included for the front of the bed which makes the Bakflip seal against the top of the front of the bed much better
4th - the BakFlip logo is a sticker and not painted on, which is nice

The F1 seems like more durable material. Visually it woudl be hard to tell the difference between the HD and F1 unless you give the cover a thump.

Thank you Julian for resolving my issues

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:54 PM
Fav40
Professional

I love happy endings

Old 04-16-2010 | 04:57 PM
duck888ltd

Originally Posted by jmaimin
Hi Duck,

I will personally be away next week for Spring Break with the kids, so if you need your scratch taken care of, please get hold of lauren@bakliner.com . I will instruct her to make sure you are taken care of swiftly and to your satisfaction.

ALl the best,

Julain
BAK
Thank you Julian,

I did receive an email stating that a replacement cover will be on it's way. Thanks for the great service!

Old 04-26-2010 | 12:24 AM
cpelton
Veteran

Glad to see things were taken care of in the end. I guess that means I'll be ordering one this week!

Old 05-15-2010 | 09:58 AM
RamTruck2010
Smile

This if funny. I was following another thread on the F1 and was pretty much settled on getting it. I found this thread today and over the course of 30 minutes I went from not only no but hell no to, I may be back on the BAK band wagon.

Julian can I get the $450 deal? LOL

Mark

Old 05-15-2010 | 11:00 AM
oldjeep
|
Champion

The replacement F1 has worked out very well. The outer covering is much stronger and does not seem like it will dent.

Old 05-15-2010 | 06:54 PM
RAMITDN
Amateur

Well,,,, Add me to the list of hail damaged bakflip. I live in Southern Maryland and got in a storm last night and once everything cleared, the truck itself was fine but the cover is all dented up. Who or what can I do? I just got the basic Bakflip not the HD for xmas of last year so only have had it for 5 months. Thanks....

Old 05-15-2010 | 07:51 PM
oldjeep
|
Champion

Originally Posted by RAMITDN
Well,,,, Add me to the list of hail damaged bakflip. I live in Southern Maryland and got in a storm last night and once everything cleared, the truck itself was fine but the cover is all dented up. Who or what can I do? I just got the basic Bakflip not the HD for xmas of last year so only have had it for 5 months. Thanks....
I'd try contacting Bak and see what they say. I think that the regular Bakflip has the same aluminum skin that the HD does now. Used to be that the regular Bakflip was plastic skin.

Maybe PM jmaimin - who was the guy at Bakflip who resolved my problem

Quick Reply: Bakflip HD - not so HD