4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Anyone used Bilstein Shocks to level their truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:30 PM
sking
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by essence5
Just installed Bilstein shocks dialed to 2 inches of lift in the front of my 2009 Ram Sport. The 2WD is fine, but immediately noticed the shudder in 4WD. Very pronounced between 20 and 30 mph. Since we just had a big snow storm in NY area, had a chance to drive in 4WD a bit. If you feather the throttle, you can make it less noticeable, but it's definitely there. If you floor it, it gets very pronounced.

Anybody has any ideas of how to remedy that? Going to call Bilstein tomorrow to see if they can explain that.
The remedy is to remove it, or you can buy a Kore kit or a true lift.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:38 PM
crod
All Star

did u have the shudder when the truck was stock? i know some people do.....

Old 03-01-2010, 12:35 AM
renos09
Veteran

I was told that it was either the cv joints or the drive shaft angle has changed.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 PM
StuartV
Professional

I still like the way it rides in 2WD. I have not yet had it off road. I have not measured yet. Been too busy. But I still have the measurements from stock, and I will measure with the lift soon. I have stock tires still.

My plan is to take my rear spacers out and change the front Bilsteins from the highest setting (2.8" lift) to the lowest (0" lift). If it still has the 4WD Shudder (which I hope it does), then I'm taking it to the dealer to get them to fix it. If it doesn't have the shudder any more, then I'll probably leave it like that.

It looks a lot better with that little bit of lift on it, but I have noticed that it feels like I have a small amount of vibration that wasn't there before, even in 2WD. I have had my wheels and tires balanced, so I don't think it's that.

I sure wish somebody would figure out what the deal is on this. I thought I read on one of the forums where somebody had determined the problem stems from plastic bushings or spacers in the steering (pinion gears or something like that?). Anybody else know anything about that?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM
essence5

Originally Posted by crod
did u have the shudder when the truck was stock? i know some people do.....
didn't have the shudder with the stock suspension. As soon as I put the bilsteins in, the shudder appeared even with the stock wheels and tires (before I put on wranglers MT/Rs on new wheels)

Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 PM
StuartV
Professional

Same as me. essence5, do you have the shudder with the Bilsteins set for no lift?

Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 AM
essence5

Haven't tried that. That would be a good setting to try to isolate whether it's the shocks or changed geometry of the suspension that's causing the shudder (my guess it's the latter), but I don't think I'm going to do that. Will just put the original shocks in this weekend.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:45 PM
ems91285

So I have been reading all the talk about the vibration in 4 wheel drive. I decided to go out and test mine out to see if mine does the same. I tried accelerating normally without getting into the throttle to much the first time and there was no vibration at all coming from the front end. I slowed down then put my foot into it and I got the vibrations everyone is talking about. I tried this again both ways and had the same results. running from about 15 mph up to 55 or so. This was done on pavement on a straight stretch. I would assume that these vibrations will likely go away when on the dirt or another surface that doesn't offer as much traction as the pavement would. It states in the manual not to use 4 wheel drive on dry roads because it could cause damage to your driveline components. This is just my theory and I could be wrong. It just seems to me the front diff can't decide what side to transfer more power to when both wheels have so much traction.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:49 AM
renos09
Veteran

I drove my truck in the snow and the vibrations were still there.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:52 PM
essence5

Wait, ems91285, just to make sure are you saying that you have similar shudder in 4wd with the superlift leveling kit? This is the same as mopar one, correct? Can anyone with mopar leveling kit (preferably installed by dodge) confirm that the shudder is there? does dodge guarantee vibration-free installation/operation when purchased from them directly and installed by dodge dealership?

Btw, i did try all different settings with bilstein shocks. At 0'' level (factory settings) there is no vibration, however, as soon as you go even one notch up (about an inch of lift), you get the shudder in 4wd

Quick Reply: Anyone used Bilstein Shocks to level their truck?