4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best Oil and Filter for 2011 Longhorn

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Truckerman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best oil you can get is the one that is on sale that day.

Last edited by Truckerman; 06-11-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:26 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

I never buy 'whats' on sale. I use the same brand and weight in a vehicle as long as I have it. Always have. Even as a teenager. Once I get it in my head I like a certain brand thats what I use.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:52 AM
gutty96
Veteran

Originally Posted by hounddogg
I never buy 'whats' on sale. I use the same brand and weight in a vehicle as long as I have it. Always have. Even as a teenager. Once I get it in my head I like a certain brand thats what I use.
How do you determine what brand you like?

I will use Mobil1, Pensoil or Castrol. Whatever is on sale the week I need an oil change (well, if the deal is good enough I will buy enough for 2 changes), but I can never tell any difference in what oil I am running when I switch.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to use Mobil1 until my friend asked me what kind of oil i was using, i asked why he asked me that, and he replied, "because i see blue smoke everytime you start your truck, are you using mobil1 oil...?" WHATTTTTTTTTTT....??????? He was right...!!!! Mytruck is a 2010 hemi sport QC 4x4, (22,000 miles on mine) his truck was a chevy 5.3 4door 4x4 and said he had the same issue with blue smoke on start up`s using mobil1. He then switched oil brands, blue smoke went away and says his truck didn`t burn oil anymore. Sooooo, a while back, i switched over to valvoline synthetic, havent seen much blue smoke since then on start up`s. By the time i changed oil again (using valvoline) i havent seen any smoke at all out of the tialpipes. I dunno, maybe just a fluke, but 2 different trucks with the same issue with mobil1...??? Any of you guys seen this with your trucks using mobil1 syn/oil..???? I just find this very odd, but like i said, no more blue smoke from either truck after switching from mobil1 to valvoline. Also, the valvoline oil seems to stay cleaner for a longer period of time over the mobil1 oil. Both of us use the factory oil filters too. Another thing i like, valvoline offers a 300,000 mile guarantee, mobil1 does not. To each their own, use whatever you want, but i think i`ll be sticking to valvoline from now on.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 AM
WNDERR
Veteran

Any oil that meets the manufacturers spec, changed according to the manufacturers spec, will be fine. Use the correct weight, specified in your owners manual.

I use synthetics, just because they give me long change capability, and the peace of mind that comes with it, should I need to go beyond the recommended change interval.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:13 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

I determine what oil I used years ago by popularity and if it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. Not very scientific I know. I used QS for years,then Castrol products for a number of years. This day and age by reading oil forums and seeing what UOA are being posted. I have primarily used Amsoil products for a long time. Excellent UOAs on all their oils. Plus I can shop/order on line and it gets delivered. Right now my Dodge 1500/Hemi has Amsoil 5w20 XL series. So does my Mercury Marquis. Warranty and time limints on when to be changed is why. My Dodge diesel 3500 and my New Holland tractor has Amsoil full synthetic 15w40 in them. The 3500 truck has been 14 months and 5000 miles so far on the oil thats in it. I won't change it for quite a while. Maybe two years. My Corvette for now has 10w30 Mobil 1 in it. I may continue to use it or may not. I might just continue to use Mobil as I may trade/sell it in the following year. Its whats on the oil cap to use. Purchasers I'm told like to see receipts etc. None of my vehicles use any noticeable oil between service.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:08 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

I use my neighbor's lawnmower oil after he drains it. Run it until the academy awards TV presentations. That's my queue to change it. Do our trucks have oil filters?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, everytime I see a post like this it becomes useless as everyone has an opinion, I imagine you are no closer than when you started....

I use M1 syn and a good old Mopar filter.

Over the years I have used....

Dino Quaker State with Fram filters
About 10 years ago went to Valvoline Syn blend with AC filters (GM cars at the time)
And now M1 with Mopar

Bottom line.... I never had a failure due to oil issues. So asking which is best is really a fine line and almost a mute point as long as you change when you should.

Last edited by CarGuyOhio; 06-13-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CarGuyOhio

Bottom line.... almost a mute point as long as you change when you should.
Ahhh...but when should it be changed?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 05Dakotaho
Ahhh...but when should it be changed?
Not when the computer tells you, that is for sure.

Quick Reply: Best Oil and Filter for 2011 Longhorn