4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Detailing and Cleaning
Print Wikipost

100 km/hr wind gusts + crappy roofing job =

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011 | 12:31 AM
Midnite-CTD
|
Amateur
Default 100 km/hr wind gusts + crappy roofing job =

My new neighbor (moved in a week ago) decided to save some money on his house and do the roof himself. (He is a 'handyman' by trade...)

The past two days, our area (southern Alberta) has seen wind gusts in excess of 100 km/hr.

Yesterday while I was at work (the truck was backed in on my driveway), a good portion of the shingles on his house let go, with one of them landing square on the hood of my beloved Midnite

Name:  IMG_5072.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  104.0 KB
Name:  IMG_5070.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  91.3 KB

It might be tough to tell, but is down to the metal on the front. There is also a dent on the front lip of the hood, as well as one on the raised portion in the center.

She's an '11 Ram 2500 with only 7800 km on her.

Old 11-25-2011 | 08:53 AM
Nate769
All Star

Its funny cause just north of Calgary we saw no wind what so ever! Turned on the news and there was roofs blown off semis, RVs turned over in the ditches. Sounds like you guys got a pretty unreal thing down there...

Talk to him about getting it fixed? I know its part of your insurance, but man that sucks hard core! I washed my truck two days ago (hence why it snowed haha) and I found the same type of thing on the pass side bumper cover of my 1500. No idea what did it, but I am going to stop into dodge on some touch up paint. I am hoping that all I have to do is buff it out and touch it up. But I guess I will find that out, might be an option for you too? As far as the dent goes, you might be able to pop that one out. I have never looked under the hood in that area but it might be possible...good luck to you I hate to have to claim something like that on insurance!

Old 11-25-2011 | 10:23 AM
mike2810
Captain

I would ask him about his homeowner insurance. That should cover the repairs to your vehicle.

Old 11-25-2011 | 03:09 PM
steelhead77
Amateur

The same thing happened to my car last year except it was a piece of soffit that came loose from the neighbors house. Their home insurance covered all of the expenses on my car. If I were you I would definitely check with him.

Old 11-25-2011 | 06:36 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

as a contractor myself, that is all on him man. 100% his fault. If he didnt nail the shingles as spec'd in your local code, thats him. Now if he did, then it is, "an act of God" in which case his home owners is buying you a new hood and painting it

Old 11-25-2011 | 06:57 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

dude that really sucks! Hope all gets repaired quickly!

Old 11-26-2011 | 09:11 PM
red2011bighorn
Rookie

yeah that should be his home owners insureance paying for it especially if they werent put on properly

Old 11-26-2011 | 09:15 PM
Midnite-CTD
|
Amateur

So after talking to the neighbor, his insurance won't cover anything on his house, or my truck, since he did it himself and he didn't do it right. (He didn't tab any of the shingles)

My insurance is covering it under comprehensive, so it won't affect my insurance rates at all, and the neighbor is paying the deductable out of his pocket, so it will all work out I guess. Now I just have to get the truck in for an estimate.

Anyone know what a new hood is worth? I'm hoping it won't be worth the cost of repairing mine, as I would rather know there is no bondo or anything like that on the hood, since it's the one part of the truck that flexes and gets slammed regularily?

Now I jujst hope it won't happen again since high winds are kind of a regular occurance here...

Old 11-27-2011 | 11:29 AM
ridem high
Veteran

Yeah!That really sucks.I bet you were sick.I know I would have been.I bet if you didn't wash it,change the oil,or take good care of it,the shingles would have flown past your truck,slammin into someones truck other than yours.I hope the repair or replacement is done to satisfy you.Make sure you are satisfied with the job,before you bring it home!I would not accept a shade tree bondo slinger repair.I would demand it be fixed to prior condition,no bondo (body filler).New hood if it were me!Good luck man!!!!

Old 11-27-2011 | 12:34 PM
6t4gto

Time for a Sport hood.......JB.

Quick Reply: 100 km/hr wind gusts + crappy roofing job =