4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

6.1 or 6.4 L Ram HD possible release date

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:39 AM
gtivr6
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjeep
LOL - how many times have you loaded up a bunch of drywall or plywood and thought - I think I'll take a picture just in case I ever have to post it on the internet.
OMG to funny. Props on that pic

Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Nate769
I looked for a pic for a half hour and could not find one...thanks for posting that...proof is in the pic!
i'm honestly blown away. I searched every night after this thread and couldnt find anything.

Sorry for questioning you guys, that picture says it all.

Last edited by mdram43; 12-16-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:42 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

I'm not hi jacking a thread. for anyone who has been on this forum for any length of time, sees these posts everyday.

Alot of guys come on here with too much money and not a clue, wanting a truck, asking all of us the same questions all the time.

Not saying thats the original poster, but hes asking about 2500's. 2500s are either 1) for someone whos gonna be using em, or 2) for someone whos going to spend alot of money on a show truck, and it will never see dirt, never get a scratch in the bed. So the man is obviously gonna be using the truck. So I said, if your gonna really be using the truck, you sure you want that tiny bed. Are you sure you wanna put your tools in there. I know plenty of guys who have dings and nice body work on their trucks, so I also wonder that about the rambox, hows that thing holding up? Can you get your tools out after someone slams it with an lvl or the new guy on site cant manage a stack of lumber on his shoulder or in his hands.

alot of people on here dont even know what I'm talking about, or will respond by saying o yea, I do, when in reality, they've only seen it in movies, or read about the construction industry going to crap during this economy.

So yea I play devils advocate with alot of people posting about buying a truck, to make sure their buying what they both want and need. trucks arent cheap, so you want to make sure you get the perfect buy from the start. So you know what, my apologies for hindering this thread in anyway, but at the same time, sorry for helping you.

and lastly

if your lifting the truck enough to put 38's on it, how the __ck are you actually gonna be using the ram box?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:52 PM
frogslinger
Captain

My father in law is a one man business producing hardware for the oil fields. Blue collar as hell. He is dead set on getting the Rambox on his next truck.

I think the punk kid thing was in reference to your categorically stating something that as it turns out was factually incorrect then denying all attempt by those who as it turned out were right to correct you.

Of course it could be to the fact that you can be goaded into unleashing tirades at a minor insult.

That said, I do not know you, I do not know your history, or how you were raised or what you have been through. I have absolutely no perspective. With that in mind I apologise if this post is in any way offensive.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by frogslinger
My father in law is a one man business producing hardware for the oil fields. Blue collar as hell. He is dead set on getting the Rambox on his next truck.

I think the punk kid thing was in reference to your categorically stating something that as it turns out was factually incorrect then denying all attempt by those who as it turned out were right to correct you.

Of course it could be to the fact that you can be goaded into unleashing tirades at a minor insult.

That said, I do not know you, I do not know your history, or how you were raised or what you have been through. I have absolutely no perspective. With that in mind I apologise if this post is in any way offensive.

your cool man, what you said actually helps. and once again, I will apoligize to anyone who posted, and I did in fact come off like your wrong, or I'm the only one who is right. I just never in my mind would have thought the ram box would have actually fit a 4x8 sheet of anything. My apologies to anyone that I came off to like that,

and as for the guy who posted that picture, 1) great find and 2) dodge needs to stick that in their ads and not just a shot gun or fishing pole, and a hammer and tape measure.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:59 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

Sooooooo no 6.4???

Old 12-17-2011, 04:37 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IF we ever got a 6.4 then Im betting it would be a SRT Ram. Currently no plans to put the 6.4 in the Ram, neither 1500 or 2500.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:49 AM
mdram43
Record Breaker

49.5" would be without a rambox. for any of you who build and "engineer" you know that something such a rambox, would require additional with. metal, the actual structure of it, and you would think anything solid would be more than 3/4" thick.

heres the math:

-my non ram box bed, 49.5". that means 1.5 or 1-1/2" to spare if placing a 4' wide sheet of anything.

-1.5" divided by 2 (rambox is on 2 sides)= 3/4" on each side to spare for the width of the rambox

so you would think the rambox has, 1) width of the metal, interior bracing that keeps it structurally intact. so I figured, yea even at 3/4" your sheathing would be rubbing, and any drywall you threw in would not be sliding and would be getting dinged to $h!t, and you'd get to the job with drywall thats no good. But you all obviously have no idea about crap like that.

I dont have anger management, I just have daily encounters with people not intact with the real world, like mr engineer over here. Architects and engineers draw up beautiful crap on paper, then it gets to us, and were like what the hell was this guy thinking. He left this out, forgot that 1/2" for drywall, drew up some crazy bend or radius that cant happen. So were calling in an RFI which is leading to a CO, and is wasting time and money. Not to mention were in the field sweating/freezing, our asses off, while mr engineer is sitting in his office sipping star bucks playing on his iphone, and his secretary says he's busy.

I already apologized for any rudeness, any getting off subject, but we can keep this crap going all day.

Last edited by mdram43; 12-18-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:26 AM
frogslinger
Captain

The width is the same regardless... as someone said it is the same as a flareside pickup... the bed is narrowed to the width of the original fenderwells. The thickness of the walls is probably only a couple of 32nds...

Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 PM
frogslinger
Captain

The best argument I can think of in favor of the engineers and architects is Falling water. It was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright one of the greatest architects of the 20th century. After its design, the contractors and various engineers doubted its strength and stability and radically changed the specs, resulting in the building at first nearly collapsing (if you are interested in details the building was a cantilevered construction designed to use tension to balance its overhang. It was designed to have a balance of weight to stop it from falling over and flexibility to settle into its balanced state. It was built with too much weight on one side and no flexibility because those involved with the actual construction did not understand the underlying principles and tried to execute the design using brute strength) . Later in the project an additional wall was added as bracing without Wright's knowledge. When he saw it he had the top section removed before the building was load tested. It passed and when those responsible for the additional bracing admitted the changes to Wright he showed them that he had sabotaged their upgrade and that the building worked just fine when built as designed.

Long story short: If you are a blue collar worker, build it to spec. If you do and it fails, it is the architect or engineers fault. If you do not build it to spec, even if you think you are strengthening or improving the design and it fails it is yours.

I tell my guys all the time... I know your way might work, but I know my way will.

Quick Reply: 6.1 or 6.4 L Ram HD possible release date