4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

6.1 or 6.4 L Ram HD possible release date

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:18 PM
nathangfnd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.1 or 6.4 L Ram HD possible release date

So I've been looking at a new truck go over a year now just debating on what to get mostly. I had the paperwork and approval to get a new f150 but I never signed for it because I wasn't 100% sure.

Now that ram has the rambox option on there HD i want one. I am looking at a 2012 ram 2500 mega cab. With a 5.7 but I've read that there is a possibility of a 6.4 L hemi that may be coming out for the HD. But I haven't heard much on it lately as if they said screw it.

Are they going to release a 6.4 L soon or maybe the 6.1 in the HD anytime soon????

I don't need a diesel. I don't tow to often but I do tow. Sometime needing to use others HD so I just want one myself. Also I like to lift my trucks and solid axles do much better. And if I get what I want it be a mega cab hemi with a 8 inch rize lift an 38s.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nathangfnd
So I've been looking at a new truck go over a year now just debating on what to get mostly. I had the paperwork and approval to get a new f150 but I never signed for it because I wasn't 100% sure.

Now that ram has the rambox option on there HD i want one. I am looking at a 2012 ram 2500 mega cab. With a 5.7 but I've read that there is a possibility of a 6.4 L hemi that may be coming out for the HD. But I haven't heard much on it lately as if they said screw it.

Are they going to release a 6.4 L soon or maybe the 6.1 in the HD anytime soon????

I don't need a diesel. I don't tow to often but I do tow. Sometime needing to use others HD so I just want one myself. Also I like to lift my trucks and solid axles do much better. And if I get what I want it be a mega cab hemi with a 8 inch rize lift an 38s.
I was not aware that dodge made a HD, maybe i am wrong others will chime in tho...I thought that was a GM, Chevy thing. I thought with Dodge it was everything was built as a HD, again could be wrong!

If your not going to tow that often the 5.7 would do perfect justice. Not to mention the 1500 could do you just fine too. It all depends on what your doing, and what kind of rebates you want. The rebates are much better for the 1500s from what I hear, plus its the best riding pickup on the market today. To give you some perspective I pull a 30ft holiday trailer with my 1500 and its close to 8000lbs fully loaded. This truck is capable of 10500. So it does just fine, and the hemi keeps up perfectly. YES the 2500 would handle it much better with it being a 3/4 ton, but even with the Hemi it would still do perfect, the cummins is the better option tho. But because I only pull this trailer no more then 2000kms a year, with odd pulling other trailers. It was not viable for me to get into a 2500. Remembering that to get into a basic 2500 is 10 GRAND more then a half loaded 1500.

Now I am not trying to steer you away by any means just pointing out that depending on what your doing you might be able to save yourself some money by going into a 1500. Which you wont be disappointed in...
As far as you getting what you want :P just as a heads up the Mega Cab is only available in the 3/4 and 1 tonnes. So if you are that set on a mega then you can just throw everything above out the window, just remember that you are now going to a longbox FRAME.

As far as the 6.1 or 6.4 hemi goes. I don't think dodge has that in the 2012 rams, I'm not sure if they even make a 6.1, but I do know they make a 6.4. This is only available in the challenger tho. Trust me when I say the 5.7 will do just fine.

In conclusion im glad to see that you have not bought an f150 yet. Do a google search for tranny problems and whatnot in the fords. You will be surprised to hear that thousands of new ecoboost trucks are sitting at the dealerships waiting on new trannys. I heard a number somewhere that across north america there are 4000 trannies on BACKORDER, with more coming in by the day....just a heads up!

Hope this helps somewhat...

Old 12-13-2011, 07:38 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

HD just means 2500 or 3500.

I have seen no reports of the 6.4 in an HD. Just SRT 1500 concepts.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:05 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There was a report that came out like 6 months ago that mentioned dodge had no plans of moving the 6.4 to the hd trucks.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

you must be talking about the diesel displacement.

and if you want a 2500 ram box, I take it your a working man. Have you seen the rambox in person? As a general contractor (I do the work, not just sub it out), the ram box looks cool, but is dumb. You lose your entire bed, so you cannot carry sheets of plyway, drywall, etc. about all you can do is throw 2x's down the center. Sorry, but they make toolboxes both cross mount and side mount, and I personally put most of my tools in my back seat. I keep a portable tool box, and then another one in my back seat.

Ram box= good for storage, if you NEVER need to haul real loads

Old 12-13-2011, 11:57 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

by the way man, if you want to do an 8" lift on 38's you may want to look at diesel, because my 2" lift on 34's has me in the low teens HIGHWAY, so 38's will have you filling up daily, which I use to have to do. you dont want to have to do that

Old 12-14-2011, 10:56 AM
gtivr6
Amateur

Originally Posted by mdram43
you must be talking about the diesel displacement.

and if you want a 2500 ram box, I take it your a working man. Have you seen the rambox in person? As a general contractor (I do the work, not just sub it out), the ram box looks cool, but is dumb. You lose your entire bed, so you cannot carry sheets of plyway, drywall, etc. about all you can do is throw 2x's down the center. Sorry, but they make toolboxes both cross mount and side mount, and I personally put most of my tools in my back seat. I keep a portable tool box, and then another one in my back seat.

Ram box= good for storage, if you NEVER need to haul real loads
Your wrong. I put full size sheets of sheetrock and plywood all the time and I have a 1500 crew cab with the ramboxes. People dont realize that the rambox only takes the space of the wheel well.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:41 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

the ram box takes up more than just the wheel well, lets see some pictures. not to mention if your a 1500 crew cab, you have a 5 ft and change bed, so how far are your materials sticking out of your truck bed?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:42 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdram43
the ram box takes up more than just the wheel well, lets see some pictures. not to mention if your a 1500 crew cab, you have a 5 ft and change bed, so how far are your materials sticking out of your truck bed?
Nope, you're wrong. The rambox just fills up the wheelwell area. The open bed area is 52" wide, plenty of room for sheet goods. Truck would be pretty useless if they made it smaller than 48" wide.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:55 PM
frogslinger
Captain

Originally Posted by just about everywhere on the internet
RamBox debuted on the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5-foot-7-inch cargo box. It offers 8.6 cubic feet of dry lockable side-saddle space, with room to squeeze a 4-by-8-foot sheet of plywood between the bed walls.
So there is that

Originally Posted by http://www.turbodieselregister.com/2009ramintro/pr_rambox.pdf
Two weatherproof, lockable, drainable, lighted storage bins that run the
length of the 5-foot-7-inch pickup bed, and are as wide as the wheel well,
creating a total of 8.6 cubic feet of space.
And there is that

Just FYI the 5 foot 7 inch bed is 7 feet long including tailgate so, I am going to guess the overhang is about a foot...

Quick Reply: 6.1 or 6.4 L Ram HD possible release date