4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tailgate Anti-Theft suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Capn Preshoot
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate Anti-Theft suggestion

While it's nice the new 4th gen Rams have locking tailgates, the likelihood that any of us will actually lock them and go through the inconvenience of having to unlock them before opening them is probably pretty slim.

Tailgate theft is rampant as it's a crime of opportunity that takes less than a minute (and you've just lost an $800 tailgate) - or more if it has a backup camera in it.

Don't be a victim. You can leave your tailgate unlocked and still prevent it from being stolen for as little as a dollar & 5 minutes of your time.

All you need is a simple 2" hose clamp (worm drive). Put it around the slotted hinge cup on the passenger side tailgate hinge only. Also I recommend you put it on backwards so that the screw is facing forward. Then just before getting it completely tight, roll it 90 degrees forward so that when the tailgate is closed the screw is facing downward. Close the tailgate, crawl under the truck & finish tightening it from underneath.

No, this won't stop the really determined theif, but to get yours he'll need tools and time. Most likely he'll leave yours and go on to easier pickings.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:49 PM
ArkHemi
Professional

Mine stays locked 24/7!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 AM
contractors Hemi
Rookie

Great tip, had a gear clamp on mine for years, espically if your truck is loaded all the time like mine.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Capn Preshoot
Professional

Originally Posted by ArkHemi
Mine stays locked 24/7!
But I'm betting you also seldom use your bed to haul anything. For those of us who use the bed on a regular basis, having to constantly contend with a key lock quickly gets to be a nuisance, especially in the winter. For less than a buck and 5 minutes of your time, your tailgate is no longer quickly nor easily stolen (and you don't have to lock it).

Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice write up and great tip!!

Now off to find a hose clamp laying around.... my luck I'll have every size except a 2" and have to drive to the store just to purchase a .50 cent clamp. lol

Old 01-29-2012, 02:18 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Dakota had a shock sensor in the back behind the taillight. you couldn't open the tailgate without setting the alarm off. I also had a pop-lock installed.

Worked perfect!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 PM
C-RAM
Rookie

I've never heard of anyone who's tailgate got stolen...

Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Capn Preshoot
Professional

Originally Posted by C-RAM
I've never heard of anyone who's tailgate got stolen...
Happens almost daily here in Houston. Mostly Fords & older Chevys but recently Gen-4 Ram tailgates are becoming the target of opportunity. These days the bad guys are even knocking old people in the head to steal gold fillings and inlays & their Social Security check. They can get a fast $200 for your tailgate and twice that if it's equipped w/backup camera. You might have good insurance, but you're still out of pocket for your deductible.

Ever see the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds"? An unlocked tailgate can be off your truck and gone in 30 secs.

Older vehicles parked outside overnight are losing their catalytic convertors. The crooks are getting them with a cutting torch.

Commercial buildings, even churches are losing their A/C systems for the copper. Comcast amplifier boxes are getting hit for their batteries. Irrigation systems are getting hit for their brass backflow preventers.

There are major crime waves underway in the big cities.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:48 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my truck protected with a silent page alarm, when tamperd with, usually you hear a 12ga run a few rounds down the barrel after that. I had a guy try to steal the sixpak off my challenger one time... it was really amazing what he did after hearing a 357 being cocked right behind his ear. Needless to say, he soiled himself pretty good. The cops were fighting amongst themselves about who was NOT going to take him downtown for booking, neither one of the cops wanted the guy in their patrol cars after he pee`d AND pooped his pantys.

My old 2000 dodge truck i had a oil furnace transformer wired up to the truck, heard quite a few yeller`s during the late nights... i suspect they were just gas thieves though because i had it wired to my gas door. I imagine it blew ther nuts right up into their hats after gettin a 50,000 volt jolt.... and i find it amazing though, i`ve never had any gas stolen in a really long time...lol

Anyhow, good idea using the clamp on the tailgate to slow them thieve`s down.
Might just put one on mine just for the hell of it. BUT, then again, i do LOVE the sound of a slide action on a 12ga in the middle of the night.

heheheheheheeeeeee

Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Capn Preshoot
Professional

Originally Posted by LU229
.....snip
Anyhow, good idea using the clamp on the tailgate to slow them thieve`s down.
Might just put one on mine just for the hell of it. BUT, then again, i do LOVE the sound of a slide action on a 12ga in the middle of the night.

heheheheheheeeeeee
I too have a Mossberg-500 for home defense purposes, and you're right about the sound of a round being chambered. Only sound like it in the world and a great deterrent (and laxative) to would-be evildoers.

Alas, we can't always be there with our shoulder and hand cannons and as we all know, nobody pays any attention to a car alarm going off. The hose clamp trick slows 'em way down when they're otherwise in a hurry, plus it's a lot less paperwork.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Anti-Theft suggestion