4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

enclosed vs open cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:15 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LU229
Improper care of the K&N filter(s) were the likely cause. I would also like to add, that K&N has a metal screen built in. This screen kept a mouse from getting thru to my engine. Little basterd chewed the hell out of it but did not get thru it. Had that been the factory paper air filter, i`m 100% sure ther would have been a bigger problem to deal with had he gotten thru it and into my engine. I`ll continue to use K&N air filters no matter what a dealer says. I always check my air filters when i check my oil level, (due to mice issues here) if they need service or replacement at that time, i take care of it right then.
Last time I checked the standard air filters also had a metal screen on them.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mouse deal is a lot less likely to happen then the DIRT that gets in the engine through that K&N. Start doing oil analysis then report whats found.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 PM
oldjeep
Champion

In my case the main issue with oil type filters is how easily they clog in dusty environments. Unless you run a prefilter it is really easy to completely gunk a K&N. Found that out the hard way one day with one of my jeeps.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Last time I checked the standard air filters also had a metal screen on them.
Not always true.... go to your local parts store, open a few box`s on the low dollar standard air filters and look for yourself.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:12 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by oldjeep
In my case the main issue with oil type filters is how easily they clog in dusty environments. Unless you run a prefilter it is really easy to completely gunk a K&N. Found that out the hard way one day with one of my jeeps.
Yup i would have to agree with you on that, if its a wet design, yes it will plug up easier in dusty conditions. But less likely in my case where i live.

Last edited by LU229; 04-03-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by hounddogg
The mouse deal is a lot less likely to happen then the DIRT that gets in the engine through that K&N. Start doing oil analysis then report whats found.
I will, just for my own piece of mind. I dont dought what you guys are saying, i`ll let the oil analysis do the speaking for me.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
OCDPLR
Rookie

What gets me is I got the dusted engine advice from a dealer in the west coast climate where dust really isn't an issue. I had heard that before and kept a close eye on it but when the dealer tells me to get rid of the K&N I'll listen.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by OCDPLR
What gets me is I got the dusted engine advice from a dealer in the west coast climate where dust really isn't an issue. I had heard that before and kept a close eye on it but when the dealer tells me to get rid of the K&N I'll listen.
Trust me, the dealership is doing more damage to your vehicle by you letting them work on it than that K&N will ever do in a lifetime...lol. I can only think of one good reason why a dealership would tell you bullsh!t like that... THEY`RE NOT MAKING ANY MONEY OFF FROM YOU because the K&N does not need to be replaced, so therfore they cant sell you a new factory paper air filter and profit from you.

And something else i thought of with using the K&N in my mouse case issue:
If i had NOT been running a K&N when a mouse tried to chew thru it, i would have had tons of dirt running into my engine and not know it until it was too late... the K&N air filter i use has a metal screen on both sides of the filter material, the standard paper filter does NOT. If the stock air filter had been in my truck when the mouse chewed it, ther would have been a great big open hole in the filter and dirt would have gotten into the engine for a long period of time before i would have known. Soooooooooo, the K&N saved my engine because the mouse couldnt get passed the screen side facing the air box...! Until i do a total oil analysis using both styles of air filters, it still remains to be seen which style air filter is superior. As of right now, the K&N is winning everytime for me. Also, i dont keep a vehicle for very long, that K&N is never going to do enough "so called dirt damage" in the length of time that i own a vehicle. Every 3 to 4 years, i`m into a brand new vehicle.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

LU229. Your far worse in your advise then any dealer I know. I ran and worked in shops 30 years. I and others always advised not to use cheap filters or K&N!!!! You use then all you want. I hope truck owners listen to shops about not using them.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:24 PM
shelby10

Originally Posted by powertrain12
im looking to get cold air intake for my 2011 doge ram 1500 sport. i talked to someone and he said i should get open cause enclosed gets plugged up from snow and rain and its winter 6 months of the year here also what cai it cosidered the best?
I run the AFE stage 2 intake and love it.. These people who say there are no gains are entirely wrong. The HP gains are in the peak and upper rpms, thats why they feel there are no gains but they are definetly there...on my last truck I did a before and after dyno run with a k&N intake kit and picked up 16 Hp/20Tq, (going to try and locate the graphs if I can find them). Fact is fact and opinion is opinion, remenber that...
However you do lose some low end torque with the aftermarkets, very few though and not a siggnificant amount to notice.
No trashing the drop in filter idea either but for me the Hp gain and sound mixed of my intake with my mufflex is def. worth it..
Oh and the guy who said he picked up 2 mpg with a drop in K&N filter is full of you know what. I would bet my left ******** he's driving like a straight puss if he noticed that kinda of gain.....

Last edited by shelby10; 04-05-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: enclosed vs open cold air intake?