4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Which of the 3 would you guys choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012 | 11:43 AM
jhinton81
|
Default Which of the 3 would you guys choose?

So I just bought a brand new 2012 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab with Hemi that is bright silver. I have narrowed my list of Tonneau Covers down to 3. Which would you guys prefer or think would look the best?

http://peragon.com/
Retractable version

https://www.bakfactoryoutlet.com/bakflip.html
BakFlip G2
or
BakFlip F1

Or would you guys suggest another that would look and function better. I know that I want a hard cover of some sort and I also know that I don't want any covers that hinge with hydraulic rods such as the big and gaudy ARE covers. Your opinions would be much appreciated.

Here is a picture of my new truck if this will help. Since this picture I have tinted the windows all around with 15% over factory on back windows and 5% on the front windows. So it's pretty dark now.

Attachment 17065

Last edited by jhinton81; 09-10-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2012 | 12:56 PM
saberworks
Rookie

I have the same truck in white and I got a bakflip fibermax. It's an ok cover. It's not perfectly waterproof, a few small trickles of water get in when it's raining hard (basically drip down the sides of the inside of the bed). I've also had some contact with their "warranty department" because one of the panels wasn't assembled properly, and the experience has been less than satisfying. I also don't like the way it folds forward and rests on the cab/window. They have these cheesy plastic clamps that are supposed to keep it there but they don't work very well. If I try to tighten them they just sort of bend out of their channel and don't do anything. I only used it like this once and don't plan to again, if I can help it. The latches that hold it closed (one set on each section) are made of plastic, which I was surprised by.

All that said, the cover looks nice and is functional. It doesn't rattle or sag or anything like that so far.

Old 08-28-2012 | 01:28 PM
sawtewth
Amateur

Undercover: www.undercoverinfo.com

One piece and hinged, yes. But very light, waterproof, low profile, and clean lines. Simple to remove if you need more bed space (it's light, but bulky, so requires help). I have a black classic on my sliver 2011 crew cab.

Old 08-28-2012 | 11:19 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

The Bakflip is as invisible as they come - I am very satisfied with mine. Works as designed, looks good, easy to operate, secure.

Old 08-29-2012 | 07:47 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by WNDERR
The Bakflip is as invisible as they come - I am very satisfied with mine. Works as designed, looks good, easy to operate, secure.
x2 Couldn't tell you which one to buy though. I've got an F1, not sure what the difference is between that and the G2 anymore.

Old 08-29-2012 | 12:59 PM
john x 2

Well I bought the fiberglass bakflip, 2012 quad, its a bit heavy but a whole lot less **** to hail damage then the thin aluminum cover that their first one has and that they still offer. (google its damage) I like the hold streigh up, locking rig that they have, contrary to the report above... A side note; these fiberglassed panels are a bit heavy, and with 20" tires that is a big stretch reching over the side of the bed to pull their reliese and roll them forward. I had a Pace Edwards roll up on my '02, 3/4 t. chevy I traded in, now that piece of junk,,, I could go into at great lenght's, with venium driping from my mouth on all of it faults.

Old 08-29-2012 | 02:02 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by john x 2
A side note; these fiberglassed panels are a bit heavy, and with 20" tires that is a big stretch reching over the side of the bed to pull their reliese and roll them forward.
Seriously? How tall are you?

Old 08-29-2012 | 05:10 PM
12Sport
Professional

I had a G2 bakflip on my old truck and liked it so this time I got the (FiberMax) for its tougher skin. Combined with a tailgate seal it's nice and tight, never leaks and fairly dust proof. The nylon catches work nice and smooth. No complaints at all.

Old 08-30-2012 | 07:19 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

I have the Peragon cover. It's a nice cover for the money! There''s nothing that sticks up and blocks the back window either which is what I did not like with some of the others, plus others were about $1G
Here's their clasified thread;
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/vendor-...-discount.html

Here's my install thread;
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post2737860

Old 08-30-2012 | 08:02 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I have the Peragon cover. It's a nice cover for the money! There''s nothing that sticks up and blocks the back window either which is what I did not like with some of the others, plus others were about $1G
Here's their clasified thread;
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/vendor-...-discount.html

Here's my install thread;
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post2737860
Question on that paragon cover - if you have something in the bed that slides forward, can you open the cover? It looks like it winds up inside the bed taking up the front foot or so. Taking up any bed space is a big problem for those of use with crewcabs - bed is short enough already.

Quick Reply: Which of the 3 would you guys choose?