4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Illlegal AND VERY dangerous...!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Illlegal AND VERY dangerous...!!!!!!!!!

This thread is for the guys that like installing HID bulbs in their OEM factory halogen headlight housings.

The video i posted in here, explains it so much better than i can. What i WILL tell you is, without explanation, you better hope you aren`t one of those guys comin at me at night with those glaring HID bulbs in your OEM halogen housings, blinding me and other drivers on the road, where i live. It has become such a problem around here with people doing this, the law dogs are moppin up the people that have them. (they`re even going after colored headlight lighting) Let me tell ya, the fines are very very heavy and harsh, even for 1st offenders. It makes me very happy to see something getting done about it around here finally.

Illegal HID conversion kits explained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5n38...yer_detailpage

Old 07-04-2013, 03:43 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by LU229
This thread is for the guys that like installing HID bulbs in their OEM factory halogen headlight housings.

The video i posted in here, explains it so much better than i can. What i WILL tell you is, without explanation, you better hope you aren`t one of those guys comin at me at night with those glaring HID bulbs in your OEM halogen housings, blinding me and other drivers on the road, where i live. It has become such a problem around here with people doing this, the law dogs are moppin up the people that have them. (they`re even going after colored headlight lighting) Let me tell ya, the fines are very very heavy and harsh, even for 1st offenders. It makes me very happy to see something getting done about it around here finally.

Illegal HID conversion kits explained
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5n38wDe684&feature=player_detailpage

Wish they would do that around here. I'm tired of these night blind clowns who feel the need to blind oncoming traffic with their POS HID kits.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:29 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Wish they would do that around here. I'm tired of these night blind clowns who feel the need to blind oncoming traffic with their POS HID kits.
What gets me is, how they think by installing just the HID bulbs INSIDE OF A HALOGEN HOUSING makes them see better (ROTFLMAO)
The thing is OJ, you CAN get something done about it... write a letter to your mayor, copy it to your state attorney general...!!! Send it to them by way of "registerd mail".... they have to sign for it when they receive it, then you know they got it. Now ask me how i know this works...!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:44 AM
War Horse
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are annoying as heck. I especially hate getting in front of someone and then having their lights glare in your mirror for miles on end.

Interesting video. So, do all UK inspections include a light alignment check?

Old 07-05-2013, 11:06 AM
bluebeast1562
Veteran

Good info, never thought of putting HID's on the Ram however, what else can we do to increase lighting from the stock? I have come to the conclusion that stock headlights are not bright enough

Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by War Horse
They are annoying as heck. I especially hate getting in front of someone and then having their lights glare in your mirror for miles on end.

Interesting video. So, do all UK inspections include a light alignment check?
Back in the days when i was a wrench in all the dealerships i worked at and a certified state inspector, headlight alignment WAS on the inspections. Not sure if they still are anymore. It vary`s state to state anyway.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by bluebeast1562
Good info, never thought of putting HID's on the Ram however, what else can we do to increase lighting from the stock? I have come to the conclusion that stock headlights are not bright enough
Have a good QUALITY set of HID projectors installed with the proper HID bulbs. Ther isnt much you can do about it other than that. And just some advice ahead of time, DONT BOTHER with those chinese projector knock-off headlight`s on ebay. All those are is a projector with a halogen bulb...pure junk and a HUGE waste of money and your time...! Some guys on this very forum have bought the cheap chinese knock-off`s on ebay, then tried putting HID bulbs in them and ended up removing them entirely and spent the bucks to have REAL projectors installed in the OEM headlight housings.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Nate769
All Star

I have to agree with you guys...but only to a certain point...

I agree that there are many people out there who will use a cheap kit and think it works, when cars blind myself and sometimes even my buddy with a 10" lift, its bad. I also think that the video is a little contradicting. UK laws on this are quite high compared to us, therefor their standards are higher. For one, I know that anything after a certain year (can't remember which) if they are equipped from the factory or aftermarket, they MUST be autoleveling. The projector lights, MUST also be auto switching. We don't have anything like that here, just look at the new rams! Yes certain vehicles do have autoleveling ones, but obviously its not a standard practice here.

But saying that any aftermarket HID kit should be illegal, IMO is totally harsh. I know you said HID in OEM housing, but I am stressing the point... I have had the same conversation with a few local guys around here and we took it to a test. One of them owns a mechanic shop with a beam analyzer. With newer vehicles it is possible to get a good beam that will not blind anyone. The only reason for that is most come with a dual beam system. The actual headlamp is built a little different, but most comes just from the beam setup. With the lows you have to aim them a little bit lower, but the nice thing is the beam is wider allowing you to see ditches. To some people it would defeat the purpose, but seeing to your side is sometimes just as important as seeing way to the front. Then you can do whatever you please with the highs because they shouldn't be on anyways. Most kits also don't run normally as a DRL, so don't have to worry about that!
The problem comes where you get into some of the older vehicles that are not running a dual beam setup. So they have to run a dual beam bulb, where its usually HID on low and Halogen on high. (Although you can get HID on both) Therefore really defeating the purpose. These are the guys that are going to cause issues. Again we tested this with our analyzer, on both a truck and a car. As mentioned there are two different kinds of Dual beam lights. HID/low-Halogen/high, or Full HID each. The time we ran the HID/Low Halogen/High, was not as bad as the full HID. Although just the way the bulb is made and positioned it was still very hard to get a nice beam that would suit both beams. (remember that we had an analyzer and it was tough, how would it be for the average joe?) The full HID one we just threw out and didn't even bother. Because that bulb is just one beam, but moves back and forth in a socket. Well unless the builders know what light was going into what vehicle its useless. By the time you get the low figured out your high beam was off in its own world, and vise versa. Yes you are going to get certain amounts of glare, and you do get spots of light that the factory lens can't filter out. But unless your staying at the same speed and directly aiming that into someone else who is also going the same speed, that is not a cause of the problem. I setup my previous ram with an HID setup according the analyzer. My low beams were aimed down, a little too much for my liking at times, but still much better than that of a dual beam setup. It allowed the ditches to be lit up, and in most places where I needed the light at the front, there was usually not a vehicle in sight so highs were used. I never got flashed, and even went as far as the RCMP to take a look. He had me drive 2 car lengths behind him to be sure. My lows were just fine, highs of course were horrible for him. We even had it looked with the newer car we tested, and he was just fine with those setups. As soon as it came to the older car, it was too much. He was not happy with the light output, as you couldn't see. And when it was positioned so you could it was blinding.

The other issue IMO is the actual beam produced by an HID. HIGH INTENSITY distributing light, vs halogen. One needs a ballast to ignite a gas producing light. The other is the same as any household bulb with a coil. Its a different light, and the eye sees it differently. Same as with a florescent lamp. I think HID is sensitive to some people eyes, in the same way that some people can't work in an office because of florescent lights. I have a set of projectors in my rig now, which have been adjusted proper. Yet sometimes I will still get on odd flash? There is no way my projector is even close to hitting their windshield. I have a friend with a 300 limited, that comes with factory HID projectors and he will get an odd flash. There are days where I get upset because I have been working with HIDs all day (highbay lights in commercial areas), and get on the road and my eyes are sensitive so it is tough. Not saying it happens to everyone, but the beams are different, and react different in certain peoples eyes. Sometimes its not the equipment, but just the certain person, and what other light he/she has been seeing all day.

This is a little besides the point, but I think there is a pretty serious problem with the "auto" headlamps. I am most certainly guilty of this, but most of the time when your wipers come on, the headlamps come on. Or in the case where its dusk, your lamps come on. Now where am I going with this? When those headlamps come on, does it care what position your lever is in? It sure does...Which means if the last time you are driving you were driving with your highs on, your highs are going to come on as soon as your lamps come on. I know when it happens to me I will get flashed and realize it. I think that is concern, make it so that it won't put the high beams on unless you flick the lever back and forward again. I have issues with stock vehicles without HID, blinding me for this.

I don't want to start a fight here, just stating opinions. Some of us do care what the other cars see, and most of the time we will make it so that no one is hurt. However I think there are a lot of people that don't really care and aim them up. Those are the guys who are hurting the HID reputation. Exactly the same as the guys running diesels that leave a cloud of smoke in the intersection, hurting the rep of all diesel owners. They don't care, and having their lights the way they are, hurts us that do care. Again I agree that some people are bad, but if its as bad as you guys are saying in your area yes they have to do something about it. Around here maybe once every 3 or 4 trips you will run into a guy that's pretty bright. This is when I make sure he is aware of the fact his lights are too bright. I turn my highs on, which consist of the projector no longer cut off, and HIDS in the high beam pointed strait ahead. Now if he gets the point or not, that's a different story.

I will agree with you, but to say ALL situation are illegal, to me is again...harsh...

Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Nate769
I have to agree with you guys...but only to a certain point...

I agree that there are many people out there who will use a cheap kit and think it works, when cars blind myself and sometimes even my buddy with a 10" lift, its bad. I also think that the video is a little contradicting. UK laws on this are quite high compared to us, therefor their standards are higher. For one, I know that anything after a certain year (can't remember which) if they are equipped from the factory or aftermarket, they MUST be autoleveling. The projector lights, MUST also be auto switching. We don't have anything like that here, just look at the new rams! Yes certain vehicles do have autoleveling ones, but obviously its not a standard practice here.

But saying that any aftermarket HID kit should be illegal, IMO is totally harsh. I know you said HID in OEM housing, but I am stressing the point... I have had the same conversation with a few local guys around here and we took it to a test. One of them owns a mechanic shop with a beam analyzer. With newer vehicles it is possible to get a good beam that will not blind anyone. The only reason for that is most come with a dual beam system. The actual headlamp is built a little different, but most comes just from the beam setup. With the lows you have to aim them a little bit lower, but the nice thing is the beam is wider allowing you to see ditches. To some people it would defeat the purpose, but seeing to your side is sometimes just as important as seeing way to the front. Then you can do whatever you please with the highs because they shouldn't be on anyways. Most kits also don't run normally as a DRL, so don't have to worry about that!
The problem comes where you get into some of the older vehicles that are not running a dual beam setup. So they have to run a dual beam bulb, where its usually HID on low and Halogen on high. (Although you can get HID on both) Therefore really defeating the purpose. These are the guys that are going to cause issues. Again we tested this with our analyzer, on both a truck and a car. As mentioned there are two different kinds of Dual beam lights. HID/low-Halogen/high, or Full HID each. The time we ran the HID/Low Halogen/High, was not as bad as the full HID. Although just the way the bulb is made and positioned it was still very hard to get a nice beam that would suit both beams. (remember that we had an analyzer and it was tough, how would it be for the average joe?) The full HID one we just threw out and didn't even bother. Because that bulb is just one beam, but moves back and forth in a socket. Well unless the builders know what light was going into what vehicle its useless. By the time you get the low figured out your high beam was off in its own world, and vise versa. Yes you are going to get certain amounts of glare, and you do get spots of light that the factory lens can't filter out. But unless your staying at the same speed and directly aiming that into someone else who is also going the same speed, that is not a cause of the problem. I setup my previous ram with an HID setup according the analyzer. My low beams were aimed down, a little too much for my liking at times, but still much better than that of a dual beam setup. It allowed the ditches to be lit up, and in most places where I needed the light at the front, there was usually not a vehicle in sight so highs were used. I never got flashed, and even went as far as the RCMP to take a look. He had me drive 2 car lengths behind him to be sure. My lows were just fine, highs of course were horrible for him. We even had it looked with the newer car we tested, and he was just fine with those setups. As soon as it came to the older car, it was too much. He was not happy with the light output, as you couldn't see. And when it was positioned so you could it was blinding.

The other issue IMO is the actual beam produced by an HID. HIGH INTENSITY distributing light, vs halogen. One needs a ballast to ignite a gas producing light. The other is the same as any household bulb with a coil. Its a different light, and the eye sees it differently. Same as with a florescent lamp. I think HID is sensitive to some people eyes, in the same way that some people can't work in an office because of florescent lights. I have a set of projectors in my rig now, which have been adjusted proper. Yet sometimes I will still get on odd flash? There is no way my projector is even close to hitting their windshield. I have a friend with a 300 limited, that comes with factory HID projectors and he will get an odd flash. There are days where I get upset because I have been working with HIDs all day (highbay lights in commercial areas), and get on the road and my eyes are sensitive so it is tough. Not saying it happens to everyone, but the beams are different, and react different in certain peoples eyes. Sometimes its not the equipment, but just the certain person, and what other light he/she has been seeing all day.

This is a little besides the point, but I think there is a pretty serious problem with the "auto" headlamps. I am most certainly guilty of this, but most of the time when your wipers come on, the headlamps come on. Or in the case where its dusk, your lamps come on. Now where am I going with this? When those headlamps come on, does it care what position your lever is in? It sure does...Which means if the last time you are driving you were driving with your highs on, your highs are going to come on as soon as your lamps come on. I know when it happens to me I will get flashed and realize it. I think that is concern, make it so that it won't put the high beams on unless you flick the lever back and forward again. I have issues with stock vehicles without HID, blinding me for this.

I don't want to start a fight here, just stating opinions. Some of us do care what the other cars see, and most of the time we will make it so that no one is hurt. However I think there are a lot of people that don't really care and aim them up. Those are the guys who are hurting the HID reputation. Exactly the same as the guys running diesels that leave a cloud of smoke in the intersection, hurting the rep of all diesel owners. They don't care, and having their lights the way they are, hurts us that do care. Again I agree that some people are bad, but if its as bad as you guys are saying in your area yes they have to do something about it. Around here maybe once every 3 or 4 trips you will run into a guy that's pretty bright. This is when I make sure he is aware of the fact his lights are too bright. I turn my highs on, which consist of the projector no longer cut off, and HIDS in the high beam pointed strait ahead. Now if he gets the point or not, that's a different story.

I will agree with you, but to say ALL situation are illegal, to me is again...harsh...
Its more of a respect thing Nate, for people to have no regard for others safety out on the highway, they deserve a harsh fine to get the point across. Some of these people around here are installing way out of control super bright HID bulbs in their OEM halogen housings...even the newer vehicles too. (i`ve actually had to pull my truck off the side of the road MANY TIMES because i just simply could not see and blinded by all the glare and high intensity of the HID bulbs they were running...!!! Now THAT really ****`s me off...!!!!) Ther has been quite a few accidents around here because of people installing these HID`s in a halogen housing. Just last night, ther was a guy on a motorcycle that ran off the road into the ditch because he was blinded not even 500ft from my driveway. Luckly he only ended up with a broken leg from hitting the ditch, but his bike was totaled. Now would you consider that being to harsh...??? What if it were YOU that it happened to, i`m sure you`d want something done about it, wouldnt you. I understand what you`re saying and what you`re getting at, BUT, i dont think you really understand what a problem it is here. People are taking action (me being one of them) and pushing very hard for law inforcement to do something, and they are. Lets just say, its like the rest of the country, people dont care, they show absolutely NO respect for others. It seems to mostly come down to the ricer punks that think its cool to blind people with ther "modded HID flame throwers". Anyhow, nough said, i`m sure you know what i`m saying as well.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:40 AM
LU229
Banned

Aftermarket HID lights are illegal since they do not have FMVSS ceritification

They are illegal because of these factors:
1> Not DOT approved
2> Intense light/glare blinds incoming traffic
3> Color exceeds the standards for the industry (blue, Purple etc)

Quick Reply: Illlegal AND VERY dangerous...!!!!!!!!!