4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

TIRE Help! Going crazy reading reviews!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Mr. Detroiter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIRE Help! Going crazy reading reviews!

I am having a difficult time deciding on the best tire to go with.

My truck:

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4.

55,000 miles on the stock tires and I am ready to upgrade to a better tire.

275/60/20 - Goodyear Wrangler came with the truck new.

Cost is always something to think about, but secondary to a quality, comfort ride, low noise and an awesome handling tire. Meaning, I will pay the extra for the best value tire.

About my driving habits...

85% drive time is Highway Commute(100 miles round trip 5 days a week – all season/weather)

In the summer, I tow a 5,500 lb boat here and there…

In the winter, I like to pull little cars and over confident 4x4’s out ofthe snow banks. I do it because I am nice like that, have been there myself, and because I’m an avid ATV’er at heart – and that’s what we do – help you out of a sticky situation.

Sometimes, when the mood hits me, I like to take a turn and hit the dirt roads, or snow covered fields, or take an easy ride along the sand dunes on the west side of the state, etc. etc.

But mostly, I drive in all weather, all seasons, to an average of about 30K miles per year. But when I go off road –I need a tire that will get me there – and back. But I also want a tire that does great on highway road conditions, wet/slick/etc.

So, I’ve been looking at the:

· Michelin LTX AT 2’s

· Nitto Terra Grapplers

· BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain – But read they havea short tread life (30K) and are’nt good in snow or on ice.

Any thoughts on a tire to go with based on my driving habits andvehicle? Sales reps sell tires… I’m lookingfor real life experience. Given how muchI drive, I want the best tire for the money as I am guessing I will bereplacing them every 1.5 – 2 years.

Thanks for any advice.

Mr. Detroiter….

Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF.

I have read a lot of good things about the Nittos. Michelins, in my experience, tend to be a bit too hard to work well in snow/ice.

However, you'll find asking about tires is like asking a bar full of guys about guns, women, or cars. You'll get a thousand opinions, and none are necessarily wrong or right.

I will move you to the correct spot for better help. For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience is limited to the BFG A/Ts and Goodyear Silent Armors. The BFGs were best off-road but like you, I turned to mostly road driving and winter. The Goodyears lasted over 50K until I sold the truck with them still installed. The stock HPs are wearing down and I am looking at the Silent Armors again but I am looking at others as well. Overall, I have not read much bad about any of the tires you are looking at. I would imagine the Michelins would wear the best. I think the BFGs are too aggressive for your driving. They wear too fast with a lot of hwy driving. Picking a tire is like picking a truck. They are all good, just go with one and claim it's the best like we all do! lol.....

Old 01-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Mr. Detroiter

Originally Posted by jasonw
Welcome to DF.

However, you'll find asking about tires is like asking a bar full of guys about guns, women, or cars. You'll get a thousand opinions, and none are necessarily wrong or right.

LOL. That is what I am finding out as I look at all the reviews. Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for moving this to the right spot.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Mr. Detroiter

Originally Posted by Duso02
\Picking a tire is like picking a truck. They are all good, just go with one and claim it's the best like we all do! lol.....
LOL.... I am almost to that point. LOL.

Discount Tire told me (I called several in my area) that the Michelins LTX were out of stock and it would take some time to get them in. They can get the Nitto Grapplers within a few days. The BFGR Rugged Terrain are in stock. But your message is like others I have read, they wear to fast so I am scratching those off my list - although they are the cheapest to buy.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:11 AM
capsfloyd
Captain

Originally Posted by jasonw
Welcome to DF.

I have read a lot of good things about the Nittos. Michelins, in my experience, tend to be a bit too hard to work well in snow/ice.

I will move you to the correct spot for better help. For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html
Wow 55,000 on wranglers .. I run BF GOODRICH which is made by Michelin I get good milage with them

Old 01-11-2014, 01:44 AM
RSDodgelover
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked a friend of mine who owns a tire shop if he was putting tires on a new Dodge 1500 what would he get. He didn't hesitate but went straight to the
BFG All Terrain TA KO (275/65/20) or BFG Rugged Terrain T/A if you have to have stock
275/60/20s.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:41 AM
RAMULAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO....I have the Michelin LTX M/SII and they are awesome for the highway. I don't think you can beat Michelins on the Highway. They are pricey though for 20". However I change out to Silent Armours for the winter. (I got a set of take-off rims off Craigs list) I have not gotten stuck with either tire though. I don't go off roading much up here in NH, if at all, so can only speak to the street. However I would assume the Silent Armours would do fairly well off road. I find even the Silent Armours do well on the Highway and my mileage has not dropped significantly with them either. They have a good ride but need a good installation place to do the balancing as it took the Goodyear place a few tries to get them perfect. You'd think a Goodyear place could balance a set first time around eh?

Old 01-11-2014, 10:51 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

· Michelin LTX AT 2’s

Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Mr. Detroiter

Originally Posted by capsfloyd
Wow 55,000 on wranglers .. I run BF GOODRICH which is made by Michelin I get good milage with them

Yea, almost 56,000 miles and still have some tread life - but just no good in the recent snow and ice we got here in Michigan last week. Yep, I think I got the life expectancy out of the Goodyears so its time to drop some cash on a new set of tires.

Quick Reply: TIRE Help! Going crazy reading reviews!