4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

TIRE Help! Going crazy reading reviews!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
I got the Cooper Zeon LTZ tires when my stock Goodyears wore out (36k?). The Coopers are really good for most things except wear. They are reasonably quiet, get great traction in icy/snowy/rainy/slippery conditions, and they look very rugged. But I'm around 20K on them and they are down to 8/32 tread depth. I'll squeak them out this winter and use them next summer but I'll need new ones for next winter, and that is just 2 years' use. I suppose I can't really complain a lot, since I got the set of 4 for right about $600 installed in stock 20" size. I'd love to have the same tire in a 65K life model.

Rob
Where did you get them THAT cheap? The cheapest place online is $220 a tire these days! Nevermind. Just did a search. Buy3 get 1 free was a steal. Nice find. Too bad that didnt include shipping for the ret of us:-( That place sells them for $220each now too. So, sale no more.
Also, whats your driving like? Any stone roads/driveways? I know that eats up any tire. Most 3rd Gen guys who have had this tire for 4-5yrs have def got better mileage than that. If you to a lot or have an aftermarket LSD, that will eat up tires too. Any tire...
Did you measure the tread depth of the LTZ's when you got them? Mine measured 12/32nds brand new! They were suppose to be 13/32nds and I see they have bumped up the newest ones to 14/32nds. I doubt they actually measure that!!! It's typical to measure less anyways so you cant go entirely off of the specs for that matter. These tires are rated for ~50kmi. So, your 8/32nds at 20kmi means you have 6/32nds more tread left as far as the rated life goes. Puts you up past 40kmi for the life of the tires. Not bad for an A/T tire actually.
Heck, my tires are at 14kmi and I'm at 9/32nds tread. This puts me about 47kmi if I kept driving with same habits.
Not saying you cant wear these or any tire out faster for that matter. Depends on driving habits. Onbviously you've read reviews before where someone said that their 50kmi tire lasted them 10kmi while others said they have lasted more than 50kmi..etc The stock Goodyears are classic example. Tire rated for 50kmi. Ive seen 20kmi and some say 60kmi. I personally hated the Stock Suckyears. They were terrible in all conditions. Sure they were a smooth ride, but they floated, cornered terribly, terrible on dry pavement, wet pavenemt and I didnt even risk driving them in the snow.

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-12-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Where did you get them THAT cheap? The cheapest place online is $220 a tire these days! Nevermind. Just did a search. Buy3 get 1 free was a steal. Nice find. Too bad that didnt include shipping for the ret of us:-( That place sells them for $220each now too. So, sale no more.
Also, whats your driving like? Any stone roads/driveways? I know that eats up any tire. Most 3rd Gen guys who have had this tire for 4-5yrs have def got better mileage than that. If you to a lot or have an aftermarket LSD, that will eat up tires too. Any tire...
Did you measure the tread depth of the LTZ's when you got them? Mine measured 12/32nds brand new! They were suppose to be 13/32nds and I see they have bumped up the newest ones to 14/32nds. I doubt they actually measure that!!! It's typical to measure less anyways so you cant go entirely off of the specs for that matter. These tires are rated for ~50kmi. So, your 8/32nds at 20kmi means you have 6/32nds more tread left as far as the rated life goes. Puts you up past 40kmi for the life of the tires. Not bad for an A/T tire actually.
Heck, my tires are at 14kmi and I'm at 9/32nds tread. This puts me about 47kmi if I kept driving with same habits.
Not saying you cant wear these or any tire out faster for that matter. Depends on driving habits. Onbviously you've read reviews before where someone said that their 50kmi tire lasted them 10kmi while others said they have lasted more than 50kmi..etc The stock Goodyears are classic example. Tire rated for 50kmi. Ive seen 20kmi and some say 60kmi. I personally hated the Stock Suckyears. They were terrible in all conditions. Sure they were a smooth ride, but they floated, cornered terribly, terrible on dry pavement, wet pavenemt and I didnt even risk driving them in the snow.
For a while back in 2010-2011 Fleet Farm in MN would run a quarterly special with the buy 3 get 1 free deal and their regular price was around $185. They had cheap mounting/balancing. The last time they had that in 2011 I had Discount Tire match the sale and got the set from them, then I just held on to them until my Goodyears wore out.

My driving is almost entirely on the road, with of mix of city and highway miles. A few times a year I need to be off-road to do snowmobile trail maintenance work and haul a bobcat around. The Goodyears were crap in snow or mud and I needed something better. The Coopers have been great for that. On the road they are very nice for traction and noise.

I think I measured them when new but didn't write it down. Seems to me it was around 13/32. I can definitely see the wear because the LTZs have a scalloped edge on every other outer lug and that is almost gone now.

Rob

Old 01-12-2014, 12:33 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Since new, my truck has worn out 3 sets of tires in 50k. I average 12 - 16 K per set, and thats strecthing it by constant rotating. While the fronts seem to last forever, anything rotated to the rear is consumed in short order. I have given up loooking for any mileage out of my tires. Because the tires have a 50K warranty, I just keep replacing them with a pro-rated price. Tires consumed so far = original goodyears, 2 sets of Kumhos.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:48 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by HEMI_ROM
Since new, my truck has worn out 3 sets of tires in 50k. I average 12 - 16 K per set, and thats strecthing it by constant rotating. While the fronts seem to last forever, anything rotated to the rear is consumed in short order. I have given up loooking for any mileage out of my tires. Because the tires have a 50K warranty, I just keep replacing them with a pro-rated price. Tires consumed so far = original goodyears, 2 sets of Kumhos.

Wow, that is terrible. I'm on my 3rd set at around 93K miles. Got about 45K out of the original goodyear SRA's and 45K out of the Destination AT's, 3rd set is another set of Destination ATs. Sounds like you must really like spinning the rear tires.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:04 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Wow, that is terrible. I'm on my 3rd set at around 93K miles. Got about 45K out of the original goodyear SRA's and 45K out of the Destination AT's, 3rd set is another set of Destination ATs. Sounds like you must really like spinning the rear tires.
Well that is just it; I have never burned rubber or deliberately spun my tires. I could understand what was going on if that were the case, and yes I would expect those results. I just had the rear end rebuilt (N08 Recall) and am hoping that may help out, maybe something was off there?

Old 01-12-2014, 03:19 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Well that is just it; I have never burned rubber or deliberately spun my tires. I could understand what was going on if that were the case, and yes I would expect those results. I just had the rear end rebuilt (N08 Recall) and am hoping that may help out, maybe something was off there?
Perhaps the LSD contributes to it?

Old 01-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap, that is fast wear. Maybe you should try the Michelins. They tend to wear longer then most but you pay for it. I really don't know what could wear a tire that fast other than incorrect pressure or a real soft compound like Micky Thompsons. Great for off-road but not made for hard pavement.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:00 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
Perhaps the LSD contributes to it?
Yes it does. to add to your above post. Even if they were at 13/32nds and your at 8/32nds w/20kmi. That's only 5/32nds of treadwear. You have another 6 before they are considered gone. That means another 20kmi. Again, 40kmi for an A/T tire or "hybrid" tire is not bad, especially given how quiet they are! btw. I wouldnt run mine until 2/32nd either so that means your never gonna get rated mileage out of any tire.
My Khumo Platinums for my 03 LeSabre only have 8kmi on them, mostly highway(to and from work). They have worn down 4/32nds worth of tread so far. I'm very disappointed. They'll be wiped at 20kmi and I do not drive that car hard at all. They are a 60kmi tire. I'll def be getting them pro-rated...

Originally Posted by Duso02
Holy crap, that is fast wear. Maybe you should try the Michelins. They tend to wear longer then most but you pay for it. I really don't know what could wear a tire that fast other than incorrect pressure or a real soft compound like Micky Thompsons. Great for off-road but not made for hard pavement.
LSD's do contribute to tire wear. Towing does as well. So does gravel as it 'chews' at the tires surface because the tires are constantly slipping/spinning in loose gravel.

Speaking about spinning. OPs head is gonna be spinning over this thread just like the reviews out there..hahahahaa

Old 01-12-2014, 05:01 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Originally Posted by Duso02
The wear "looks" exactly like over inflation, outside most treads last longest while the centers goes fastest. We have ruled out inflation pressure, it is always spot on. Tire dealer is also at a loss to explain. Maybe the tire pressure is only good for sea level and needs adjustment for our (7000ft) elevation but I would think Discount Tire would know this?

Old 01-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Mr. Detroiter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog

Speaking about spinning. OPs head is gonna be spinning over this thread just like the reviews out there..hahahahaa

ROFL.... I'm the OP and yes, you got that right.... LOL... But, I sure am learning a alot. THANKS!

Quick Reply: TIRE Help! Going crazy reading reviews!