4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

TIRE Help! Going crazy reading reviews!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Mr. Detroiter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSDodgelover
I asked a friend of mine who owns a tire shop if he was putting tires on a new Dodge 1500 what would he get. He didn't hesitate but went straight to the
BFG All Terrain TA KO (275/65/20) or BFG Rugged Terrain T/A if you have to have stock
275/60/20s.
Yea, the tire shop here was pushing the BFG RT T/A too. Said that was the best to meet my driving needs, and cheaper than what I was looking at in Michelins. Also, they had them in stock. But, even a quick review showed a common pattern of owners who said they wouldnt get them again because of how fast they wear. I like them based on the commercials and intended use/and PRICE. But cheaper does me no good if I have to replace them every 12 months/30k. Although, I have to be honest, I almost went with them yesterday... But with so many reviews saying the same thing, it made me shy away and do some more looking around. And for the record, I am usually not this indecisive... there is just so many brands, types, and price variables that I want to make an informed decision. I appreciate all the responses...

Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Mr. Detroiter

Originally Posted by RAMULAK
IMHO....I have the Michelin LTX M/SII and they are awesome for the highway. I don't think you can beat Michelins on the Highway. They are pricey though for 20". However I change out to Silent Armours for the winter. (I got a set of take-off rims off Craigs list)
That seems to be the common theme I've read.. Michelins for the highway. Being stiff on the ice and snow, I did see one or two reviews like that too. Maybe you are onto something with the two sets of tires...

Old 01-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Detroiter
That seems to be the common theme I've read.. Michelins for the highway. Being stiff on the ice and snow, I did see one or two reviews like that too. Maybe you are onto something with the two sets of tires...
I agree.....if you can afford it, winter and summer tires are best but we know that is not cheap. I got lucky and picked up a stock set of 09 17" wheels for $200. I mounted Blizzaks on them for winter driving. The 20" HPs are finally dead (@ 34K miles) so this spring I'll look for something else. I'd love to find a true summer performance tire but everything tries to be an "all-season" tread. No such thing. If it's best in winter it's not in summer and vice-versa. I'm thinking the BFG RT as well but with the same reservations. When they came out there was plenty of positive reviews. Another issue I have read is that they are noisier then even BFG A/Ts.

If you are looking for a good winter/summer tire take a long look at the Silent Armors. They were awesome in winter, quiet on the hwy and wore real well. Not agressive enough to be great off-road but that doesn't sound like something you care about anyway.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 PM
stlram
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to make this any more difficult but I put Coopers AT3 275/65/20 on my truck a couple of years ago and I couldnt be more happy. I have 50,000 miles on them already and I have never had a problem with them. Like you I do a lot of highway driving also so I wanted something quiet but when I do get off road these perform really well also.

I went with the 275/65/20's because I wanted a little taller tire to fill the wheel well. I also wanted an E ply tire because when I do get off road they hold up much better on gravel and rocks. They are not the cheapest tire on the market but they are another option you might want to consider.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

I went with general grabbers from tirebuyer. 625 with coupon and free shipping. They arrived 2 days after I ordered them. Was so impressed, I ordered another set for the kids ford escape. 420 delivered, same free shipping, same 2 day arrival. So far, no complaints. Didn't need to use 4wd last snow storm either so have to say pretty decent traction and seem to hold good on wet roads and hydroplane resistance.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:30 PM
oldjeep
Champion

I'd also look at the Firestone Destination AT. I'm on my second set - about 45K out of the first. I like them better than the BFG AT's which I don't think work very well on ice.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 AM
Mr. Detroiter

Originally Posted by Duso02
I'm thinking the BFG RT as well but with the same reservations. When they came out there was plenty of positive reviews. Another issue I have read is that they are noisier then even BFG A/Ts.

If you are looking for a good winter/summer tire take a long look at the Silent Armors. They were awesome in winter, quiet on the hwy and wore real well. Not agressive enough to be great off-road but that doesn't sound like something you care about anyway.
I didnt get a chance to shop around today as I was busy replacing the dishwasher - ours finally went up. Funny, it took me all of 10 minutes to select a new dishwasher .... yet I've got hours into looking at tires...

I read the same thing about the BFG RT, regarding the noise. I've seen them on a truck like mine and thought they complimented the truck. I was so close to a purchase until I did a "quick" review search. From the comercials it sounded as if there tires were made for exactaly what I was looking for; highway driver with the occassional light off roading. And priced right... I will look at the Silent Armors now too. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Mr. Detroiter

Originally Posted by stlram
Not to make this any more difficult but I put Coopers AT3 275/65/20 on my truck a couple of years ago and I couldnt be more happy. I have 50,000 miles on them already and I have never had a problem with them. Like you I do a lot of highway driving also so I wanted something quiet but when I do get off road these perform really well also.

I went with the 275/65/20's because I wanted a little taller tire to fill the wheel well. I also wanted an E ply tire because when I do get off road they hold up much better on gravel and rocks. They are not the cheapest tire on the market but they are another option you might want to consider.

Someone else mentioned the Coopers as being pretty good too. I also like the idea of filling up the Wheelwell by going a little taller....

Old 01-12-2014, 01:22 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

I got the Cooper Zeon LTZ tires when my stock Goodyears wore out (36k?). The Coopers are really good for most things except wear. They are reasonably quiet, get great traction in icy/snowy/rainy/slippery conditions, and they look very rugged. But I'm around 20K on them and they are down to 8/32 tread depth. I'll squeak them out this winter and use them next summer but I'll need new ones for next winter, and that is just 2 years' use. I suppose I can't really complain a lot, since I got the set of 4 for right about $600 installed in stock 20" size. I'd love to have the same tire in a 65K life model.

Rob

Old 01-12-2014, 08:45 AM
ethosb

I just replaced my Wrangler HP's with a set of Dick Cepak Fun Country-285/55/20. I was looking at the Nitto Grapplers as well and found these to be comparable in style and design. They offer a slight increase in road noise, but is not annoying. Can't advise on mileage yet as they are too new.

Quick Reply: TIRE Help! Going crazy reading reviews!