4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Non-ethanol discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013 | 01:08 PM
Dusty48
|
Veteran
Default Non-ethanol discussion

Been using ethanol fuels for quite a while now and since some have indicated there's a difference I thought I'd try a few tankfuls of non-ethanol in my Ram. Currently, the only easily available non-ethanol fuel around here in Fastrack's 91 octane premium.

The only real way to compare results is the 125 mile one-way trip to my property in the Southerntier. In the last year with seven trips carrying one 800 lb. ATV in the bed and travelling at 62 mph on a mix of interstate highway and country roads, I've averaged 17.4 MPG. My route is about 40% hilly.

This weekend the same trip on the Fastrack 91 octane ethanol free I got 20.3 on the tank, which included twenty-three miles of driving without the ATV. The test did not control for wind effect, but my around town average also seems about 0.5 MPG greater as well.

Aside from that there are three things that are definitely different. The idle is smoother, the transition into and out of ECO is almost always imperceptible, and I can definitely feel a power increase. It seems as though it can stay in 4 cylinder mode more often, and on some hills where it normally needs a downshift, it hasn't since I began using the 91 octane ethanol free.

Despite that, I don't intend on using this fuel much beyond this week. At $4.39 a gallon, fifty-eight cents more a gallon than 87 octane regular, I don't think there's a good cost-benefit ratio. However, I might be using this in my ATV and other various small engines to avoid poor performance and mechanical problems.

Hope everyone is having a good Labor Day holiday.

Bests,
Dusty

Last edited by Dusty48; 09-02-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2013 | 08:26 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Thanks Dusty for the report. It seems you've done a very impartial test. I have never doubted that the non-ethanol is better gas and not only improves mileag and probably power although I have run 93 octane ethanol and I swear to god, I felt no differance and it seemed not to get quite as good mileage!! I also know I'll probably take a good tongue lashing for saying that! LOL And I guess we can say/guess its better for the engine in order to help convince ourselves its worth the price, but pretty hard to prove. As for mileage, I buy approx 30 gals at a time. Why fill when 1/2 full when I burn close to a tank a week and am always within a couple miles of the gas station? Non ethanol averages $1 a gallon than 83 at the one station that has it in my home town. Thats $30 a tank more. Just seems like I need a LOT better mileage to affset the extra $30. I live in Edgewater, FL, anyone know of a better price for non-e in area?

Old 09-04-2013 | 08:27 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

ooooops!! sorry, I meant "more than 87"!

Old 09-05-2013 | 06:59 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Ethanol doesn't produce the same HP as non-ethanol . I get at least 60 miles more to a tank . I sure feel the difference . I find it cost effective too . No financial gain or loss really , but I do appreciate the power , performance and general smoothness burning non-ethanol brings .

I often use a Lucas Octane boost as well if burning regular ethanol blended gas . Works as well as non ethanol premium using 1/2 bottle per tank .

Using different fuels is more noticable in my jeeps . 3 have 5.9's which require 91. I don't get ping when burning regular , but , it goes through it much faster . We use only premium for all our vehicles . On my holidays , I tried a tank of the good stuff in my 454 powered 32 ft RV . I was getting just over 300 miles to the tank , did 400+ on premium .

Research the energy output of ethanol blends vs non-ethanol blends , not hard to see why it performs better . Before ethanol blends , I would have consider premium a waste , not so anymore .

Old 09-05-2013 | 09:02 AM
Dusty48
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Thanks Dusty for the report. It seems you've done a very impartial test...
This test didn't control for traffic, temperature, wind, etc. In order to be more valid I should make this run at least a half-dozen times.

The decrease in fuel consumption aside, performance increase is noticeable. Of course, the 5.7 Hemi is designed to use 89 octane for best performance and there's technically no way for me to determine whether the results were because of non-ethanol or the increase in octane. (What I'd like to find is 87 octane non-ethanol.) When I run 89 the differences are not as noticeable.

Regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 89,000 miles.

Old 09-06-2013 | 06:41 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

BTW , on this last tank , I should finish it at approx 450 miles 90% hwy . I'm at 420 right now and have a touch over 1/8th to go , no light yet . That's on Costco Prem. . Typically very close to regular at other stations . Works out to about $.20 a gallon extra .

My work is 300 miles away . I have tested this under near identical circumstances over and over .

Old 09-06-2013 | 06:51 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

I checked at the local station the other day. Actually non-ethanol is $1.38 a gallon more than 87!!! At 30 gals on a fill-up thats almost $40 more!! I don't know but I think I'd have to get a lot more than 2-3 mpg better to justify it. Now maybe pulling my heavy boat it would pay off, I'd love to try it but at a buck thirty eight more not sure if I will. I keep reading where people say 20 cents more, I'd like to know where! I'm near Daytona FL

Old 09-07-2013 | 08:16 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tunaman
I checked at the local station the other day. Actually non-ethanol is $1.38 a gallon more than 87!!! At 30 gals on a fill-up thats almost $40 more!! I don't know but I think I'd have to get a lot more than 2-3 mpg better to justify it. Now maybe pulling my heavy boat it would pay off, I'd love to try it but at a buck thirty eight more not sure if I will. I keep reading where people say 20 cents more, I'd like to know where! I'm near Daytona FL
Edmonton AB Canada

Average around town price = $1.14 a liter of regular
3.785l per US Gallon = $4.31 per gallon for regular

Costco non ethanol premium =$1.19 a liter
3.785 X 1.19 = $4.50 per gallon of regular

$4.50 - $4.31 = $0.19

If your premium is that big a difference , try a bottle of Lucas Octane boost . No BS , that stuff works . Pay $9 a bottle here , and that's the cheapest I can get it for local . I put a performance PCM in my 95 5.2 Jeep which requires 91+. I had filled up the morning it showed up with regular . It pinged like crazy with the PCM installed . Tried a bottle of Lucas , immediately , the ping was gone . I was sold right there . In the past 4 yrs , I have made comparisons and like it as much or more than prem gas .

Old 09-08-2013 | 08:45 PM
WJA

Be advised that the Gen 4 Ram's operator manual says no octane boosters.....I don't know why. I used them all the time in my 2007 Hemi 1500 with no problem. That statement is not in the 2007 book.
I have see NO difference between 87 octane regular and 90 octane ethanol free in 2009 Hemi 4X4 CC in any measurement I look at.

Last edited by WJA; 09-08-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2013 | 06:52 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Originally Posted by WJA
Be advised that the Gen 4 Ram's operator manual says no octane boosters.....I don't know why. I used them all the time in my 2007 Hemi 1500 with no problem. That statement is not in the 2007 book.
I have seen NO difference between 87 octane regular and 90 octane ethanol free in 2009 Hemi 4X4 CC in any measurement I look at.
I agree. 2012 ram 1500, 5.7. No differance with octane booster, or 87 octane compared to 93 octane, either mileage or performance. Havent tried non-ethanol and have no intention of it at $1.38 a gallon more than 87! That is in Edgewater, Fl

Quick Reply: Non-ethanol discussion