4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Crew Cabs with Bed Caps

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014 | 08:22 AM
dedogg
|
Record Breaker
Question Crew Cabs with Bed Caps

I have seen a few trucks on here with bed caps and if I had a reg sized bed it would be an easy decision, but the short bed worries me (the looks of the truck with a bed cap). Those crew cabs with bed caps can you post some pics of your truck showing the side, front, and rear views. I have had a hard tonneau cover in the past and other than the looks I didnt really care for it so my decision is between the cap and a soft cover.

On a side note those with 14's, have any of you taken the huge ram head on the tailgate off? I know this has been covered many times but all of the posts I have read are from previous years and I am not sure if all 4 gens are the same. I looked at my tailgate and it does not appear to be recessed but it could also be harder to see since my truck is white. Any help you guys can give me is appreciated.

Old 03-08-2014 | 01:06 PM
dedogg
|
Record Breaker

is this forum dead?? I remember 3 or 4 years ago there was a bunch of traffic, did everyone get banned.......................

Old 03-12-2014 | 09:24 PM
tommyexpress
Amateur

look under the post for side steps, thats a leer cap on my silver truck.....no idea about tailgate

Old 03-12-2014 | 11:45 PM
NV290
All Star

I too am wondering what happened to this site. Seems like nobody posts much anymore, at least not in the 4th gen section.

As for caps, i just put one on my 11' short bed quad cab. I would post pics if their was an easy way to do it on this site. But a google search will show quite a few. Also, the Leer website has pictures of 4th gens with a cap.

I would rather no cap from a looks standpoint. But i NEED a cap for side business. I had a hard tonneau cover on my 06' for awhile but as nice as they look, they are a giant hassle when you need to move anything higher then the bed rails. And as soon as you take them off you need to find a secure place to store it and now anything in your bed is exposed to the elements and theft. Soft covers are nice because they can be rolled up, but they offer no protection against a thief with a knife. They can slit the cover silently and take anything and nobody will hear a thing. At least with a hard cover or cap they will have to make noise and need actual tools (or a rock). A cap makes everything easier for security and storage.

I went with a Leer on this new truck as well. Color matched they look pretty nice.

Old 03-13-2014 | 02:53 PM
oldjeep
Champion

If you need one you need one - if you don't you don't. Deciding on a tonneau vs a cap based on how they look seems pretty silly, they have different purposes.

In my case, I have to be able to haul a snowmobile or other large objects once in a while and a cap is just too big a pain to remove frequently unless you have a hoist somewhere to help pull and store it. The tonneau works well enough and is quick/easy to remove.

Old 03-13-2014 | 09:49 PM
dedogg
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by NV290
I too am wondering what happened to this site. Seems like nobody posts much anymore, at least not in the 4th gen section.

As for caps, i just put one on my 11' short bed quad cab. I would post pics if their was an easy way to do it on this site. But a google search will show quite a few. Also, the Leer website has pictures of 4th gens with a cap.

I would rather no cap from a looks standpoint. But i NEED a cap for side business. I had a hard tonneau cover on my 06' for awhile but as nice as they look, they are a giant hassle when you need to move anything higher then the bed rails. And as soon as you take them off you need to find a secure place to store it and now anything in your bed is exposed to the elements and theft. Soft covers are nice because they can be rolled up, but they offer no protection against a thief with a knife. They can slit the cover silently and take anything and nobody will hear a thing. At least with a hard cover or cap they will have to make noise and need actual tools (or a rock). A cap makes everything easier for security and storage.

I went with a Leer on this new truck as well. Color matched they look pretty nice.

Maybe everyone is on another forum???? I just remember this place was busy all the time people always posting and talking now its a ghost town....

I would have to agree the caps are kinda ugly or maybe they just need to grow on you? I am still undecided which way to go.......

Thanks for the post.

Old 03-13-2014 | 10:52 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

IMHO---Maybe a lot of people stopped posting and went to other sites because of some of the smart *** answers and crappy attitudes of some members when they answer questions. I always thought that we were suppose to help one another, not belittle someone for asking a question.
Jay

Old 03-14-2014 | 07:17 PM
dedogg
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Pull Ya
IMHO---Maybe a lot of people stopped posting and went to other sites because of some of the smart *** answers and crappy attitudes of some members when they answer questions. I always thought that we were suppose to help one another, not belittle someone for asking a question.
Jay

That's a good point I have read some posts here in the 4th gen section and some in the 3rd gen section and I can see what you mean. I don't remember it being like that before other then the occasional "use the search function". I know it used to be a few warnings by the mods then a suspension followed by a ban. The mods were pretty good at keeping the d#$!heads at bay. I usually ignore the dumb@sses and go about my business.

It's to bad b/c I really liked this forum and usually had a good time on it.

Old 03-17-2014 | 01:34 PM
War Horse
All Star

I'd check around before purchasing one. I've seen a few running around town (crew cab/short bed). The problem area is the whale tail on the tailgate. When the 4th Gens came out, the initial caps just had no idea what to do with the tailgate area, and about 99% of them looked like crap. I have seen a couple of newer trucks with caps though that seem to manage that area a little better.

Old 03-17-2014 | 01:38 PM
War Horse
All Star

Oh, and as for the RAM on the rear, it's recessed and bolted on. If you take it off, you'll have a lip there and 2 bolt holes (I think it's 2, maybe 3 though). I've only seen one guy on here that has went through the headache of taking it off and then getting it filled in by a body shop. It looks great, and I'd love to do it, but no way I'm throwing down that kind of cash. That's why most folks just go the custom badge route, or do like I did and just black them out with Plasti-Dip.

Quick Reply: Crew Cabs with Bed Caps