4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just drove '09 SLT and '08 4.7 manual...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008 | 03:21 PM
MacDak
|
Professional
Default Just drove '09 SLT and '08 4.7 manual...

And, they are great! The '09 is awesome. You need to drive it to believe it, in my opinion. For me, the coil springs are great, and I could not tell any difference with the 4 cylinder cut in thing, whatever they call it (by the way, PLEASE explain acronyms... for this old geezer). One sweet truck.

I can get the '09 for about $25k, 5.7, 4 door, etc. The '08 I drove was 4 door, 4.7, but had the 6 speed manual, which I am partial to. I pull a 5,000 lb travel trailer, and think the manual would be stronger... Guess I am a little gun-shy of automatics now since my '96 Chevy's transmission just almost stranded us in Florida last week; in shop for second time getting rebuilt again in less than a week! First rebuild didn't even last the 450 miles back home. Well, we did make it home, but transmission was gone again...

I can get the '08 for about $18k. What y'all think?

Old 11-06-2008 | 07:06 PM
TXcharger07
Veteran

Multi-Displacement System

the dodge auto tranny really isn't all that bad anymore. and the 5.7 is gonna pull it alot more easily and i don't think you could live down buying a 08 when the 09's are out.

Old 11-06-2008 | 10:09 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

you might want to read the third gen forum... I disagree with tx on the automatic tranny from chrysler. for the last 15 years they havent benn able to put in a transmission that can handle the power from the vehicle. There are some people with the 07 or 08 dodge and they are starting to see some tranny problems.
A freind of mine has an 07 and the tranny is already getting weak with 60,000 miles on it.
Go with your gut, plus there is the prorated lifetime powertrain warranty to think about.

Old 11-07-2008 | 08:03 AM
jram99
Veteran

Since I've been on this forum I've read many post about dodge transmissions going bad. I'm not sure if I've been blessed or what but in the last 30 years I have owned 6 dodge trucks including 2 dakota's and 3 chrysler cars. The only transmission problem I've ever experienced was on the 92 dakota. The overdrive unit went out and caused the transmission to lock in 2nd. The trans and OD were replaced under warranty and never had another problem with it. I've towed trailers, hauled overloaded beds, and have just plain outright abused my trucks at one time or another but I learned early on that it is cheaper to maintain something than it is to fix it. At 25k miles or every year I take my truck in to our quick lube place and have the fluid/filter changed. The place we go uses a system that completely flushes all the old fluid from the transmission and replaces with new. This includes the TC, lines, cooler, and trans. They then drop the pan install new filter and gasket and top off as needed. Cost is $109.00 I used to change my own in my driveway until I understood I was only getting the fluid from the pan and valve body and was still costing around $40 bucks or so. There are certain maint. items that just can't be done properly and as technology improves sometimes it's better to have it done professionally.

Old 11-07-2008 | 04:59 PM
Bones1274
Professional

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Go with your gut, plus there is the prorated lifetime powertrain warranty to think about.
What do you mean? I believe the lifetime powertrain warranty is free for life with no deductible. Here is question 15 from Chryslers website.
Q15: What does 'lifetime' mean?
A15: Lifetime means lifetime.

http://www.chrysler.com/en/lifetime_...ranty/faq.html

Old 11-07-2008 | 07:22 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Bones1274
What do you mean? I believe the lifetime powertrain warranty is free for life with no deductible. Here is question 15 from Chryslers website.
Q15: What does 'lifetime' mean?
A15: Lifetime means lifetime.

http://www.chrysler.com/en/lifetime_...ranty/faq.html
Read the fine print. Most of the moving part warrenties are prorated just like your tire warranty

Old 11-07-2008 | 08:30 PM
MacDak
|
Professional

I learned that the 4.7 L is out - towing capacity won't cut it. The 5.7 is only rated for a little over 5,000 lbs. disappointing... My present '96 Chevy is rated for 5,500 and '93 Dakota for 5,200 lbs. I have pulled the same trailer about 10 times more with the Dakota than with the Chevy, and it used to pull it as good as the Chevy.

I thought the drivetrain warranty also meant lifetime, not prorated; so, I need to check that out more.

Today, I drove a '09 Tacoma 4.0 L V6 - another sweet driving truck, but not near as nice as the '09 Dodge. BUT - get this - with towing package, rated to tow 6,500 lbs! Check out some Tacoma forums and guys pulling with Tacomas seem to be satisfied with towing capacity.

jram, man, thanks for that information! Right on! I will, from now on, get my transmissions flushed annually!! I have lost 4 transmissions (two on '83 Olds, one on '95 Chrysler, one on '96 Chevy C1500 truck - just got out of shop today) in my driving years, and I really baby my vehicles. My '93 Dakota has been fantastic - only one minor transmission problem, but still going good as of today.

Yugo, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, blah blah... I just want something that is the most RELIABLE! Why do you think Honda, Toyota, etc., has become so popular in America? If the thing keeps breaking down.... we, the customers do get a little testy! BUT, I want to buy American. I can say that, having lived in Japan over 25 years...

Last edited by MacDak; 11-07-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: edit
Old 11-07-2008 | 09:19 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

the warranty is life time but there are some common parts that are prone to breaking that are prorated. the other bad thing about the lifetime warranty is the fact that it is nontransferable.
look at this site: http://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warranty/index.html

Old 11-07-2008 | 09:39 PM
MacDak
|
Professional

Laramie, thanks. Nontransferrable warranty doesn't bother me, I keep my vehicles a long time.

The towing capacities are confusing; some trucks say 5,700 lbs, some say 6,700 etc. Same engine! I even found some 4.7 V8s that rate for 6,350 lbs! Check this local dealer's web site, and scroll down to lower right side:

http://www.thomsonmotorcentre.net/ne...89d4de42099fca

Then, click on Next - Previous, and you can see the towing capacities for various trucks. I can't tell the difference as to why they are rated so differently for towing... help; I will also check with the dealer.

Old 11-08-2008 | 12:49 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

It depends solely on how it is equipped, rim size, rear gear ratio, transmission, tow package, cab size, box size, etc. Not just based on the engine. Dodge.com is the most accurate place to find that info.

Quick Reply: Just drove '09 SLT and '08 4.7 manual...