4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

09 ram 1500 alpine sub-woofer

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:05 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
I will tell you this much. I have the Alpine with the sub and it is the worst stereo that I have ever had in a vehicle. I would much rather have the space than the sub. That system is weak weak weak. The Infinity in my 02 quad was much better than that Alpine thing.
I couldn't agree with you more. The Alpine system is my 09 is a dissapointment to me. The Infinity in my 04 QC sounded so much better.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How funny. I have been quoted by people that agree with me and others that think I am nuts. I am not a stereo snob, but I know that this unit is substandard especially since it is supposed to be the upgraded unit. Like I said before, the Infinity in my 02 quad blows this thing away.

Now what to do about it...probably nothing. I like the head unit and have no desire to install an amp and all that crap. Heck, I just wanted a good radio and thought this would be a nice upgrade. It wasn't. I would never recommend this sub, the storage is much better than the sub.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the stock stereo. it works fine for me. i don't know if i want to give up space inside for a sub i really don't need.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Darden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since turning up the bass level to 6, I've been very pleased with the quality and quantity of the Alpine stereo sound. Not sure how loud you like to listen to your music, I seldom ever turn it up past 20-22. Crystal clear reproduction with no perceptible harmonic distortion (at least to my ears).

Old 02-21-2009, 01:38 PM
WVU Fan
Professional

Holy crap....20-22 volume level?! I hardly ever go past 12-14 and I just have the base stereo system...lol.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:12 PM
David_P

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
How funny. I have been quoted by people that agree with me and others that think I am nuts. I am not a stereo snob, but I know that this unit is substandard especially since it is supposed to be the upgraded unit. Like I said before, the Infinity in my 02 quad blows this thing away.

Now what to do about it...probably nothing. I like the head unit and have no desire to install an amp and all that crap. Heck, I just wanted a good radio and thought this would be a nice upgrade. It wasn't. I would never recommend this sub, the storage is much better than the sub.
Actually only two of you have said it sounded bad, and you both compared it to your Infinity. Maybe Infinity just has really nice stereos.
Personally, I have never heard a factory installed stereo sytem in any car that sounded better than the Alpine system in my truck.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 AM
jram99
Veteran

Actually I never said it sounded bad, just said you don't get much bass from the sub. I was going to remove the grill cover and see if a larger sub could be installed but have been working on a new shower install and just haven't had the time. I did try an experiment though and that was I raised the rear seat and opened the cover over the sub. The base now is quite a bit better. The stereo is far better than any I've owned before. I'm going to just take the lid off that covers the sub. I don't think the seat will affect it as much as the hard cover does. Jeff.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

For the record it is an 8 inch sub (verified by me 10 minutes ago in my garage).

And i just sold my f-150 that had a custom built enclosure with an JL 10w7 in it. So while this system is nice for factory.. Its not something to brag to sound competitors about.

I plan on doing something silly again and mounting another sub somewhere in this truck. My last enclosure with the 10w7 cost me over $1400, but i don't know if i will go that route again.

Ill keep you guys updated if i build something under the back seat or work out a way to incorporate it in my center console like i did my F-150. Here is a pic of that.

Im wondering if i can gut out the Rams center console and work something out with a slim line sub. stay tuned!

Last edited by Doc Fluty; 02-22-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 AM
jram99
Veteran

That's where I had the Sony 10" mounted in my 99 QC. I took out the center fold down seat and built my own sub box. Mounted the sub facing down at the floor but sealed the box around it then using the factory seat lid had the space on top as my console with the factory lid mounted on it. The sub sounded great and the console work very well. Only complaint was that I made it just a little to tall and it was hard to reach the glove box from the drivers side. Was always planning on fixing it but then bought the new truck and gave the 99 to my son. Anyway, I'll bet you could fit a sub in the lower storage area of the center console on the 09. Jeff.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by David_P
Actually only two of you have said it sounded bad, and you both compared it to your Infinity. Maybe Infinity just has really nice stereos.
Personally, I have never heard a factory installed stereo sytem in any car that sounded better than the Alpine system in my truck.
My wife's H3 has a system which is twice as good as my Ram's. Her sub actually hits. She can actually get things to vibrate. I can't even tell mine is there, even with the bass up to 10. Shoot, the speakers in my vette had more bass than the sub in my Ram does. It is a serious disappointment, but at least it's my only disappointment so far, and it can be easily fixed by an amp and a new sub.

Comparing speakers to speakers, the Infinity system in my '07 was better (it did not have a sub).

Quick Reply: 09 ram 1500 alpine sub-woofer