4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sport and awd strange story again... dealer answer

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 AM
wmichell227
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by direw0lf
I was pondering, is it possible that the transfer case in the new trucks are always in 4x4 auto and the ability to put the transfer case into 2wd is now gone?

Just wishful thinking I guess.
Nope, my sport isn't AWD. I agree it kind of ticked me off because the one I test drove did have it and I was hoping the one I ordered would. It wasn't a deal breaker for me though, even up here in the great white norff I spend most of my time in 2WD.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:06 AM
direw0lf
Rookie

It doesn't matter to me as much as my wife. I'd rather her not worry about having to put it in 4wd and then have to put it back into 2wd. All our trucks have been AWD or full time 4wd (Land Rovers, Denali) so I spoiled as well.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:50 PM
patpeoria

Updates:NO MORE AWD SINCE NOV 08

I just drove to my dealership. The dealer was on the phone with his rep:
NO MORE AWD on any truck except the Laramie since.... NOV 08

That means that if you have ordered and wait for your truck all happy (like I was) be ready to be unhappy big time, it is NOT COMING WITH AWD!!!! We try hard to change it as my truck was not even build, we try also to reorder like I wanted it... NO WAY!!!

Two options: goes around what is left at other dealership, be sure that it was build BEFORE NOV 08, and trade some of the option or color
Or go for a Laramie, with everything I don't like about it (to much chrome, wood interior, wrong wheels, wrong exterior look, wrong...) for a $ 1000 more in my case...

For sure I'm not happy and I think it's perfect time to build a case and voice it.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:22 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

NVG243 - 4 position part-time transfer case

NVG246 - Adds a fifth mode...4WD Auto...standard on Sport/Laramie

Last edited by bountyhunter; 03-17-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:52 PM
patpeoria

Sorry did not catch it. what is it about?

Old 03-17-2009, 07:50 PM
berning

Originally Posted by patpeoria
Updates:NO MORE AWD SINCE NOV 08

I just drove to my dealership. The dealer was on the phone with his rep:
NO MORE AWD on any truck except the Laramie since.... NOV 08

That means that if you have ordered and wait for your truck all happy (like I was) be ready to be unhappy big time, it is NOT COMING WITH AWD!!!! We try hard to change it as my truck was not even build, we try also to reorder like I wanted it... NO WAY!!!

Two options: goes around what is left at other dealership, be sure that it was build BEFORE NOV 08, and trade some of the option or color
Or go for a Laramie, with everything I don't like about it (to much chrome, wood interior, wrong wheels, wrong exterior look, wrong...) for a $ 1000 more in my case...

For sure I'm not happy and I think it's perfect time to build a case and voice it.
Thats bull, The first 25L packages that came out listed at $3445 and now most of the new sports showing up on the dealer lots list the 25L package at $3840 and list the shift on demand (4x4 Auto) as part of the package.

If they are not offering the (4x4 Auto) anymore on the sport they sure shouldn't be charging you for it in the price.
None of this really seems to make sense, it seems as if they intented to start put the 4x4 Auto transfer case in the latest trucks but for some reason are not.

This is why I'm waiting till next year to buy a truck, plus I want the trailer brake controller too. Who knows if they will still be in business after the month is over.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:22 AM
direw0lf
Rookie

The next question is: What would it take to make a non 4wd auto into one? All the components should still be in place other than the selector and some programming. The way the 4wd auto works is when the traction control picks up slipping at the rear wheels it turns on 4wd, no different than if you had turned the switch yourself. Heck, it might be as simple as adding the selector from the Laramie

Old 03-18-2009, 12:58 PM
berning

I don't think so, if it was that simple dodge would just make it standard.
I think your talking about a whole different transfer case and a bunch of computer logic.

When I was at the dealer a month ago to pick up my truck that didn't have the 4x4 auto, the shop mechanic checked under the sport and a Laramie and they have different transfer cases. I didn't buy the truck.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:10 PM
navyr6
Professional

there are different transfer cases under the sport/laramie than the st/slt/trx. i have a sport with the on demand "awd" transfer case with four settings: 2wd, 4wd auto, 4wd high, 4wd low. it does state in my owners manual that using the 4wd auto setting will lower the mileage 1-2 mpg. i'll have to check and see when my truck was built.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

My sport does not have the AWD option. That was only available on the Laramie where I am at.

It wasn't a big deal to me since the 4x4 is on the fly.

Quick Reply: Sport and awd strange story again... dealer answer