4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAI - which one to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:44 PM
jeremys88
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I received my Airaid MXP and installed it on Saturday afternoon. Installation was straight forward and took around 50 minutes. I agree with other comments that the seal is kind of cheap and could have been better. Also, the opening that is supposed to match up with the opening in the fender doesn't. I don't know what the opening on the 08 fender well looks like, but it appears that Airaid didn't redesign the air inlet to match the hole on the 09. So on mine, part of the plastic housing doesn't align with the top side of the opening.

I happened to be on empty at the time of install so I went and filled up and reset the mileage indicator. Immediately after leaving the gas station the MPG indicator dropped to around 11.2. I don't have a whole lot of miles on it since the fillup, but the MPG is still only at 13.7. This is a mix of stop and go and short freeway hops. I will report again after this tank of gas. My previous experience with the MPG indicator after filling up is that it jumps up to around 19 MPG initially and then settles back down to it's normal for my driving style value of 15 MPG. Hopefully it gets to where I would expect and then some.

As for performance, it is definitely louder in the cab. It also does seem to be a bit more responsive. So, for the two reasons I bought it, better mileage and sharper throttle response only the throttle response is OK. I think the mileage will get there, it is slowly coming up.
well put.. i just installed mine on saturday too. I know what you mean about the different sized duct opening on the fender side... thought they shipped me the wrong model at first

Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
mp8075

what is your opinion of yours so far? Do you feel that it is a bit snappier?

Old 03-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

The opening not matching up makes me think it's the same as the '08 model. Can anyone verify whether it is or isn't?

I'd probably get the airraid, but I still want to see if anyone comes out with ducts for the vented hood.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Blackzilla

email airaid complete mxp system air box/tube will be out next month. This is what i'm waiting for.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 PM
jeremys88
Rookie

Airaid MXP: Haven't tested out any change in mpg, but it is noticeably louder and snappier. I like it, and think it is worth the price,

Old 03-23-2009, 08:09 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

i just talked to the owner of RBP roland, and he said they will have a CAI out in about a month or so

Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Doc Fluty
Banned

I have had the true flow xdi on for a couple of weeks now and it is great.. i was concerned about the heat getting in but i DO have a power increase and can definantly see an improvement in mpg.... throw in the $80 cheaper price than i got than the volant and others.. id say i made out good...

also i get a lot of ohh and ahhs when i pop the hood...

Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 AM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

^ no offense but i just dont like the look of that intake

Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 AM
srt8/bmw
Amateur

just installed the XDI Extreme yesterday. Not a big fan of the looks, but really don't care about the looks.

Haven't had the opportunity to measure MPG, but a definitive improvement in throttle response, and the added bonus of really opening up the exhaust note under acceleration. Early--but very happy with it so far.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Gr8 Pmpkn

I installed the Air Raid on my 09' 1500 two weeks ago and there is a definite difference. The throttle response is much better between 1500RPM-3500RPM. I'm getting about 2mpg better in the city. Now averaging 16.5-17.

Also noticed a big difference in exhaust sound. This CAI makes the exhaust sound awesome. I still have the stock SI/SO exhaust.

In terms of installation, you can't get any easier. Took me 35 minutes start to finish to get this CAI installed. My only complaint is the seal that goes around the top is a bit frustrating getting it to form perfectly around the top of the air box.

Using the stock airflow tube to the throttle body works very well. I've seen the cost on this run between $230 - $300 depending on where you buy it.