4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAI - which one to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Tankit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean about the different sized duct opening on the fender side
That alone would be a deal killer for me and for the XDI just seems a little gimmicky to me, think I will wait 6 more months for more options.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:44 PM
MinatorHemi8
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tankit
That alone would be a deal killer for me and for the XDI just seems a little gimmicky to me, think I will wait 6 more months for more options.
Its ugly as sin, its big and peiced together but what makes it gimmicky?

personally im holding out for an RBP or K&N whichever gets here first.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Tankit
Professional

Its ugly as sin, its big and peiced together but what makes it gimmicky
In my view the funky orange and silver paint look gimmicky, oh and the fact that its not got good access to fresh air.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
kddsRam
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gr8 Pmpkn
Using the stock airflow tube to the throttle body works very well. ......
I'm gonna go with the Airaid. One of the few aftermarket intakes that did not cause a lean condition on the 04-08 F150's. Without a tune specifically built for the intake I would not change the inlet tube around the MAF. Past experience with custom dyno tuning F150's is increasing inlet tube diameter without a custom tune built for that intake increases the MAF air sampling area, causing the MAF to command less fuel and causes a lean condition. Only sometimes it would throw a CEL.

Does the air inlet on the airbox line up with the fender opening yet ? Wondering if they redid the bax for the 09's. thanks

Old 04-15-2009, 09:53 AM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

I got the complete volant, its amazing!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 AM
MinatorHemi8
Veteran

Originally Posted by kddsRam
I'm gonna go with the Airaid. One of the few aftermarket intakes that did not cause a lean condition on the 04-08 F150's. Without a tune specifically built for the intake I would not change the inlet tube around the MAF. Past experience with custom dyno tuning F150's is increasing inlet tube diameter without a custom tune built for that intake increases the MAF air sampling area, causing the MAF to command less fuel and causes a lean condition. Only sometimes it would throw a CEL.

Does the air inlet on the airbox line up with the fender opening yet ? Wondering if they redid the bax for the 09's. thanks
Never had that problem running a K&N 77 series(polished aluminum tube) on my 06, or 08 durango with the same.

but it did feel like it all came together a little better after I tuned with a superchip tuner.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I had the K&N on my '07 and I was happy with it, but it was a little too loud in the cab for the limited improvement it gave.

And I'm definitely staying away from the XDi and I don't believe the Volant is out for the '09?

Old 04-15-2009, 06:40 PM
RamAirman
Rookie

Volant only avail for Cummins.

Last edited by RamAirman; 04-15-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 PM
72combo
Champion

Iwas told the puter when it gets more cold air first thing it does isassume it will need more gas so until u set up for a cai u might just be wasting money,just a good quality filter in urbox is good enuff jmho

Real power adders are headers and dual exhaust, turbo, supercharger,nitros....not an air filter, not the 15 percent claims and things like that. Maybe few miles to a tank but, I know several with and no one would waste money again accept one guy who builds his own now he has the idea of completely smooth few turns as possible piping...not accordion, he might be on to something.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Gerbie28

Just got a call from my dealer and the "mopar" CAI just came in, i know it may not be as good as the others but i went with the mopar cuz of warranty issues, just in case, dont wanna be hassaled when i take my truck in to be serviced