4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: Was This Post Helpful?
Yes - Very Helpful
80.00%
Maybe - Somewhat Helpful
10.00%
No - I Already Knew this Infomation
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Locking Tailgate Installation - Walkthru

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:27 PM
crod
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back to the top

Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 PM
jdonovan

Crod,
I put them back on. I'm not sure if it was necessary. I ended up putting them over the nubs on the rods.
Joe

Old 05-31-2009, 08:25 AM
crod
All Star

huh, im supposed to call another dealer on mon. that is showing 2 in stock so i can ask him if they are bent or not. i know i have the right part # someone put the wrong rods in it..

Old 06-02-2009, 04:47 PM
crod
All Star

will somebody please help me out!! i just got off the phone with hansons in texas. (their the ones ordering the color matched grills ect.)

they ordered the rods, and they are straight with no bends in them!! wtf?

Old 06-05-2009, 02:16 PM
bjk112
Default Rods

The Rods are straight, I just went through ordering each part separately, first i put in the handle and it did not engage anything, then i bought the rods and they did not fit now i just got the control unit when you put the three together they work like a charm, but yes the rods are straight with two indentations on each rod.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 PM
crod
All Star

yah, i finally fig. that out.lol the first post is kind of confusing cause the pic shows the bent rods!lol.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 PM
crod
All Star

ok. i just finished mine in about 20min. self explanatory installation really.

hopefully everyone that reads this post looks through the pages first.

ALL THE PART NUMBERS THAT SMOOTHBASSMAN LISTED ARE CORRECT!!

the only thing that messed me up was i thought the rods were supposed to be bent like smoothbassman shows in his first post.

the NEW RODS are straight for the locking tailgate. hope this helps anyone looking to do this.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:22 AM
jphemi
Default Power lock install

Many thanks to Smooth Bassman and Blue 2050. I completed both the locking tailgate and the Mopar power lock kit install this past weekend.

Here are my observations.

**You can order the P/N listed by Smoothbassman, but they are superseded and you will get other numbers.

** The rods are straight (I took pictures, but this is already noted in the thread above)

** The Mopar power lock kit has been superseded by one that does not include a handle, but has better instructions than Blue 2050 got. (ie you need to order ALL the parts as Smoothbassman lists)

** The red wire goes to Tan/Lt Blu, The black wire goes to Tan/ Dk Blue

*** The Connector attaches to the TIPM at location E.

** There are no instructions on how to key the handle and no warnings, follow SmoothBassman's post.

** You actually do have to follow the order of installation in the directions in order to stuff the lock actuator into place and fiddling with the fasteners is the most frustrating part short of fiddling with short wires close to the connector on the bottom of the TPIM.

** Pop rivets worked great.

** You can use one zip tie along side every attachment point for the drivers side body harness to attach the overlay harness and still have a few left over so no need to skimp.

**This took me longer than 2 hours so I did the body harness routing on another day.

== Very slick and now I'm ready for my Truxedo Lo Pro. I got one delivered for $365 so if anyone is interested, I can post some info.
I considered Access and Extang Revolution before deciding on this one.

+++>> Last Comment. I had figure I actually paid for this locking handle 3 times.
1. Should have come with truck -- Paid for it didn't get it
2. Originally was included in the Mopar Power lock kit (description still says handle with 2 keys is included) -- Price actually went UP! when they took the handle out.
3. Had to buy the handle (at least the lock cylinder was included and thanks to Smoothbassman, I didn't screw it up).

Old 06-11-2009, 12:25 AM
jphemi

I probably should have mentioned the dealer sold me the MOPAR Power lock kit for $102. But they are out of business now.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

Sorry for the confusion in this thread. The part numbers were 100% correct as of the date of the original post. As parts suppliers start changing the numbers do also, so these numbers could be superseded at some point in time.

The photo posted is not the right photo for the part numbers listed. The rods in the new "LOCKING" tailgate are perfectly straight. The ones pictured are the old ones from the non-locking tailgate.

Originally Posted by Godspeed
Very helpful. Thank you!

One question about the Link x2 required -- in another thread I've been following in researching this, P/N 68049237AA was posted. Can you comment on that part vs the one you've suggested above?

Quick Reply: Locking Tailgate Installation - Walkthru