4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: Was This Post Helpful?
Yes - Very Helpful
80.00%
Maybe - Somewhat Helpful
10.00%
No - I Already Knew this Infomation
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Locking Tailgate Installation - Walkthru

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 PM
tadst34
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a P/N for the whole kit with the solenoid? Or did you just ask the dealer to bundle all the parts. Thanks alot everyone for posting this. I have been wanting to do this for awhile.

Also, Mean Joe, are you from Pittsburgh? Go Steelers. Anyway, I was wondering which dealer you bought this kit from. All of the dealers I call have no idea about this. Thanks

Last edited by tadst34; 07-10-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:03 PM
72combo
Champion

Dealers are mainly useless when it comes to these trucks. Too many changes not enough info sent to them? Probably the usual what we found and was the most expensive part of getting a plant ISO certified was training. We found people not trained in the safety aspects of their jobs let alone the proper way to do the job according to SOP.(Standard Operating Procedure) They changed the name of it after I left anyway when people started to get proper training, comp cases went down,quality up means less repairs in plant and along the line. Even moral, although no real way to measure it truly seemed to go up, less bitching and moaning on the line for starters and when we first started to prepare the plant for ISO Certification people were skeptical as always, thought it was gonna be another way to get rid of jobs when in actuallity it created jobs, 8 ISO jobs to begin with and we were hourly, Trainers for all the lack of training we found and it was done mostly on overtime so that made people kind warm up to us LOL Money talks. Once people figured it out, just meant you were doing what you say or your SOP says. Wasn't rocket science. Funny thing our plant was certified underbudget and from what i heard the fastest of the plants....now the plant is closed. They built abrand new paint shop never joined our plant to it. Closed our plant and disassembled the paint shop and moved it over to Minivan Plant. I was glad I am paralyzed only for the fact I don't have to become a rat. I would have had crappy seniority...20 years at that time still puts you on the line, I would not have survived going from total freedom, come and go as we pleased but funny the group that was chosen never took advantage of our freedoms.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:35 AM
AZdave
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered the parts just as Smoothbassman has listed in the photos from Avondale, AZ Dodge and got them in a day. Paid just shy of $100 for everything and I installed it in less than 30 minutes (grab tools, disassemble, assemble, clean-up), piece-o-cake. The only comment I have is that in my case, I could not turn the key to the left - only to the right 180 degrees to set my key to the cylinder.

Thank you Smoothbassman.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:08 PM
dizzyttc
Rookie

I'm in Ontario and have an 09 Ram that did not come with the locking tailgate.I contacted Chrysler Canada and complained about this and they contacted my dealer. My dealer ordered the parts for me and installed it for me today all at their own expense. Got to love that.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

FYI - I have a locking tailgate handle available in the dodgeforum for sale section. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 PM
shakie

Is there a locking latch for the 2500. the local Dodge tells me there different
Thanks

Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Originally Posted by shakie
Is there a locking latch for the 2500. the local Dodge tells me there different
Thanks
For the 2009 model year 1500's were 4th gen and 2500/3500's were 3rd gen, so yes they would be different. For the 2010 model year 1500/2500/3500 will all be 4th gen and thus have common tailgate hardware.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 PM
crod
All Star

hey does anyone have the part number for the locking tailgate with backup camera in it? i put the standard locker in. but im thinking about putting the camera, and installing a rearview mirror with video in it..

no power solenoid.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 AM
jphemi

The camera is integrated into the tailgate handle. The part was $400! last time I looked.

Sorry, don't have the P/N handy but there are only 3 available. Non locking, locking and camera.

The factory camera has a couple of advantages
1. Nicely integrated
2. OEM Validated Part
3. Works with the MyGig radios without software modification.

The disadvantage is the price...

Old 11-20-2009, 01:48 PM
crod
All Star

well i just thought about something. since i already have the locking tailgate i could drill my own camera in the other side instead of the stocker......

Quick Reply: Locking Tailgate Installation - Walkthru