4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: Was This Post Helpful?
Yes - Very Helpful
80.00%
Maybe - Somewhat Helpful
10.00%
No - I Already Knew this Infomation
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Locking Tailgate Installation - Walkthru

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Dustinmc15
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed my locking tailgate handle, this thread was very helpful. It took about a half hour tops. However, the new link rods are not necessary, I didn't need to use them and I don't see anyway the current rods will rattle against anything, so you can save yourself the 20 bucks for those. I also drilled out a hole on the other side of the handle for an aftermarket backup camera I bought on ebay for 60 bucks, looks pretty clean.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Originally Posted by Dustinmc15
Just installed my locking tailgate handle, this thread was very helpful. It took about a half hour tops. However, the new link rods are not necessary, I didn't need to use them and I don't see anyway the current rods will rattle against anything, so you can save yourself the 20 bucks for those. I also drilled out a hole on the other side of the handle for an aftermarket backup camera I bought on ebay for 60 bucks, looks pretty clean.
Before you go and return the link rods, slam your tailgate a few times. Having the wrong link rods will cause a loud buzz. I found it extremely annoying.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:41 AM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by crod
well i just thought about something. since i already have the locking tailgate i could drill my own camera in the other side instead of the stocker......
I am going to put my camera on the side the keylock goes since I have the after market lock that works with my Fobik. SSSWEEEEEET and was less money than the dealer and no trips to the dealer for scanning and all that nonsense. After the holidays I am going to get one of those bypass deals for the radio forget what they are called not the Allgig but the other one. Will put a cam in the back and front, for parking which I never do. LOL I just want to put it all in and have a REN with uconnect and 2 cameras that work when you park also either cam can be turned on while driving or in any gear. With the locking tailgate and all for less than the price of a new REN radio alone actually cheaper REN 250 on ebay no shipping, picked it up. Uconnect 257US, 100 star scan(BS) 199 plus shipping for the Lockpick unit and 100 for 2 cameras flush fit, with LED"S for night and waterproof. So the REN is 1100 new with sat. Just over 900 and I have it all, installed working and my wife or the passenger can watch movies in the front while driving too. Gotta get thru Christmas firts then I just need to get the cams and the Lockpick all else is done.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Dustinmc15
Rookie

Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man
Before you go and return the link rods, slam your tailgate a few times. Having the wrong link rods will cause a loud buzz. I found it extremely annoying.
I never even bought the link rods, I found just by sliding the round rubber bumpers to where the rod is closest to the tailgate eliminated any chance of them making contact, no buzz at all after slamming the tailgate.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:09 PM
72combo
Champion
Question

Originally Posted by Dustinmc15
I never even bought the link rods, I found just by sliding the round rubber bumpers to where the rod is closest to the tailgate eliminated any chance of them making contact, no buzz at all after slamming the tailgate.
Would you hear that in the cab when driving? It would have to be quite a buzz!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 PM
crod
All Star

hey 72combo. where is a good spot to pick up a ren unit?

Old 11-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Originally Posted by 72combo
Would you hear that in the cab when driving? It would have to be quite a buzz!
No, it would happen ever time you closed the tailgate.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:40 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by crod
hey 72combo. where is a good spot to pick up a ren unit?
Funny I got mine in Southfield MI thru Ebay. They guy had it on sale on Craigs list for 350 with no interest except me, well he moved it to Ebay and I put an Esnipe bid for 250 and got it. So I would say ebay. If you are getting one for 09 truck you need a high speed version.Good luck there should be lots of them of very few. After what I heard I would be careful how old it is and get a guarantee since the REN was made by Harmon Becker and now the new version is made by Mitsubishi. This is what I heard from a tech.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:57 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by 72combo
Funny I got mine in Southfield MI thru Ebay. They guy had it on sale on Craigs list for 350 with no interest except me, well he moved it to Ebay and I put an Esnipe bid for 250 and got it. So I would say ebay. If you are getting one for 09 truck you need a high speed version.Good luck there should be lots of them of very few. After what I heard I would be careful how old it is and get a guarantee since the REN was made by Harmon Becker and now the new version is made by Mitsubishi. This is what I heard from a tech.
I called Sirius because they keep sending me stuff and calling me because my old radio is about to expire but I have been running the REN unitI bought on Ebay and the Sat was working when I installed it. So I said I had installed a new unit that I bought and the Sat was working and could she find out when the subscription ends. So I gave here the number and she said that does not belong to a Ram it belongs to a Jeep I said yes I bought it from the guy with the Jeep he upgraded to something else and sold me his. She said there is not subscription for that number I must have got the number wrong. So I asked her what should I do just wait till this runs out then call she said yes. Now I checked to see I had indeed made a mistake with the number...nope and she read it back to me twice also. So sometimes Ebay can be great. Like If I was so stupid I missed out on a Nav unit for 256 bucks because I dozed off waiting for it so I could bid at the end, it looked like nobody was interested cause it had no gps antenna or some reason so I figured I would jump on it at the end with what I felt would be worth it. I was gonna go 500. so I would have got it for 256...2500 radio for 1 10th the price. Oh well I know where I am going anyway. And so far so good. Finally loaded some songs on the HD from a jump drive. That works easy. The uconnect I put on works great, just a short delay and I figured it out I have my phone set for auto answer so there is not delay my wife didn't and hers had a delay. Ithought it was because my phone was the 1st or the Master phone or someting like that I forget what they call it when you add the phone. So did you find anything yet?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 PM
crod
All Star

so whats going on with the sirius? they cant give it service?

Quick Reply: Locking Tailgate Installation - Walkthru