4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Installed a Mopar receiver hitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Hdcowboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it install the exact same way as the Curt Manufacturing class 3 hitch(model #1333)? Thats what I put on mine, cost me $87. And you do have room for a socket if you drop the spare tire, I dont have an idea how you can get the bolts to the proper torque specs without using a torque wrench and a socket. Here are the instructions for mounting.......

http://fileresource.sitepro.com/file...C4AD797886.pdf

BTW...The Curt manufacturing Class 4 & 5 hitch (model #14374) is $165

Last edited by Hdcowboy; 05-18-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Fabman1

Anyone w/ a Ram 2500 here ever consider installing a Reese Titan Hitch assembly??

These babies are rated to pull 18000# w/ 2000# tongue weight - no mention of Weight Distribution...

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~DT45295...eid=2006203632

Old 05-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Parisv

Wierd. I bought a Curt Class IV Hitch rated for up to 10,000 lbs and it just bolted on. Oddly, this is not available on the Curt website though. The only minor annoyance is that the main bolt that goes through the rear bumper into the hitch protrudes and the stock hole cover will not fit over it. I removed the main bolt and put the cover back and will just pop in the main bolt when I need to tow something. I also may see about finding a flatter head bolt to replace it with.

What's really odd though is that this is a class IV hitch per the packaging and markings, but it does indeed bolt on. Somethings not right...

Here's the link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Old 05-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Parisv

I think I found the difference. Per the instructions:

GROSS LOAD CAPACITY WHEN USED AS A WEIGHT CARRYING HITCH: 6,000 LBS. TRAILER WEIGHT & 600 LBS. TONGUE WEIGHT.
GROSS LOAD CAPACITY WHEN USED AS A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH: 10,000 LBS. TRAILER WEIGHT & 1,000 LBS. TONGUE WEIGHT

I'm pretty sure, all Ram's "distribute" the weight across the steel hitch tube that the hitch mounts to. I suppose if it didn't have the stock steel hitch tube to distribute the weight, then it would be only good for 6,000 lbs. I guess that would mean just mounting it to the bumper. I'm calling to call curt to clarify, but that makes sense to me anyway. The weight is definitely distributed across the steel hitch tube though.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 AM
mrbrown
Amateur

I was also wondering about the weight distribution. I think you've got it right. Know body seems to know the real answer though.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:25 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parisv
I think I found the difference. Per the instructions:

GROSS LOAD CAPACITY WHEN USED AS A WEIGHT CARRYING HITCH: 6,000 LBS. TRAILER WEIGHT & 600 LBS. TONGUE WEIGHT.
GROSS LOAD CAPACITY WHEN USED AS A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH: 10,000 LBS. TRAILER WEIGHT & 1,000 LBS. TONGUE WEIGHT

I'm pretty sure, all Ram's "distribute" the weight across the steel hitch tube that the hitch mounts to. I suppose if it didn't have the stock steel hitch tube to distribute the weight, then it would be only good for 6,000 lbs. I guess that would mean just mounting it to the bumper. I'm calling to call curt to clarify, but that makes sense to me anyway. The weight is definitely distributed across the steel hitch tube though.
Uhh - no. A weight distribution hitch is also called a sway contol. It mounts in the receiver and to the sides of the trailer a-arm

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_weightdistribution.aspx

Used with a standard receiver a class 4 hitch is good for 6000lbs

As a note - of the 100 or so Rams that I saw on dealer lots, I didn't see one that didn't already have the factory class 4. Seems silly that it's even an option.

Last edited by oldjeep; 05-30-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Hdcowboy
Professional

Damn those weight distribution hitches dont do anything but confuse me.....

So I take it #1 is supposed to represent the hitch on my truck and #5 is supposed to represent the hitch on the trailer? Does #3 suppose to represent my trailer ball which somehow conects to #2 which slides into the square tube that my ball mount usualy slides in? What would happen if I wanted to rent a trailer? Would I have to go drilling holes in the trailers hitch to mount the dang bracket looking things that the chain and #4 connect to? I dont get it!

Last edited by Hdcowboy; 05-30-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:26 PM
seigell
Veteran
Default 09 Ram 1500 Factory Tow Package

Here's a few shots to show the Factory Tow Package ClassIV Receiver.

Receiver viewed from below:
(Note: Receiver is welded, not bolted, to crossmember. 5-6 welds seen)

Receiver viewed from behind:
(Note: Bolts are the center bumper mounts.)

Crossmember - Frame-end mounts.
(Note: There are 6 large bolts - not counting the bumper mounts)

Note: All photos also "star" the "Limited Use Spare" that I am so disappointed over as stock on a 4x4 Truck (big, round, bald, wimpy).

Old 05-30-2009, 05:35 PM
seigell
Veteran

HD: You are right in most all aspects - except #2&#3 replace the familiar hitch (drop-tongue bar and 2" ball). You would use a standard bar and 2" ball for "normal" towing situations without any of this "get-up".
The load distribution system turns your hitch receiver and trailer tongue into a big lever, in order to "distribute the load" across the entire truck frame.

As for towing a large rental trailer - the company that rents anything big enough to recommend a L-D Hitch System should already have all the necessary rig on their trailers. In fact, you should be very suspicious if they aren't concerned that you use a L-D Hitch - it's your safety and your insurance that is at risk as well as their trailer.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Parisv

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Uhh - no. A weight distribution hitch is also called a sway contol. It mounts in the receiver and to the sides of the trailer a-arm

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_weightdistribution.aspx

Used with a standard receiver a class 4 hitch is good for 6000lbs

As a note - of the 100 or so Rams that I saw on dealer lots, I didn't see one that didn't already have the factory class 4. Seems silly that it's even an option.
Thanks for clarifying. Now I'm sort of bummed that it isn't a class IV hitch. Not that I need to tow anything that heavy, but if I did it would be nice to know it's there. Oh well...

Quick Reply: Installed a Mopar receiver hitch