4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Making the 09 look tougher

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:25 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigred3297
Look at the picture of his truck, it is indeed a body lift.
The dealer gets charged an outrageous amount and then charges the owner even more, i used to install aftermarket car audio and accessories for dealerships, the prices were through the roof but people didnt care if it was financed with the vehicle
Where is the body lift??

Old 04-12-2009, 08:21 PM
shieldsdb
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great discussion, huh? I just crawled under my truck. There are 4" spacers on the body mounts. If it is an suspension lift, I don't think I can tell (I am far from an expert). Maybe the dealer lied about the lift! I still paid 3k under MSRP and that included the tires, wheels and step bars. Plus, they threw in dual exhaust.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by shieldsdb
Great discussion, huh? I just crawled under my truck. There are 4" spacers on the body mounts. If it is an suspension lift, I don't think I can tell (I am far from an expert). Maybe the dealer lied about the lift! I still paid 3k under MSRP and that included the tires, wheels and step bars. Plus, they threw in dual exhaust.
Can you take close ups of them?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:50 PM
el_oso
Professional

Originally Posted by c0mf0rt
that makes a ton of sense... thanks....

Ok so here are three current pics. I've swapped the black tool box for a chrome for a little contrast (even though I'm not a huge fan of chrome)...

I'm looking at three options... if you reply please let me know what order you would do these in.... I'm starting to the think the rims/tires don't look half bad...

1. Chrome Bull Bar with Matte Skid Plate (Westin)

2. Roof rack with basket/shovel/jack/spare etc.

3. New rims/tires

I would de-badge that thing in a heartbeat.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c0mf0rt
I agree with 'ya MOPWR2U..... it's not the "offroad" look that I was originally referring to but I do think it will solve my "midsize" truck issue....after looking at several pictures here and there I think the reason the TRX4 looks akward to me is the tire/wheel set looks undersized for the bulky truck. I think the larger rim will give it a more balanced look and at the same time hold me over nicely until I have the cash to get a good, wide wheel and a few M/Ts. Maybe one day the truck will look like the link below (on the bottom right) but for now I'm going with the 20's and will post a pic tommorow...woohoooo
I just found this thread looking around the forum. You think your truck doesnt look as tough as your third gen?

I dont know why you think the truck has a midsize look?? Do you mean it doesnt seem as high as your last truck? The 3rd gen actually has a little less ground clearance then the 4th gen, but the 4th gen does look lower to the ground.

The more you dress up the truck, accessories, flares, whatever, the heavier and lower it will look IMO.

Get some height if your not happy. Get yourself larger tires, they dont have to be HUGE, get ones that are a few inches taller and wider, then level it out with a leveling kit.

If you can get a few inches out of a leveling kit, and an inch or so gain of true clearance from the larger tires, the difference will be dramatic. Plus since you have those flares already installed from the factory, they make the truck look really top heavy and boaty with those rinky dink tires. You have to have tires at least as wide as the flares.

I mean this is the NICEST way possible, but you can get all the shovels (plan on digging a ditch or some sh*t?) and roof racks and chrome bullbars you want, but none of that is going to make the truck more capable.

You can put that money into somthing that the truck can actually USE on a day to day basis. I think if you got the truck up a few inches and matched it with some nice tires you would be happy.

But IMO, i think your truck also looks fine how it is, its plenty capable, and it IS a full size truck after all

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 04-14-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:02 AM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
I just found this thread looking around the forum. You think your truck doesnt look as tough as your third gen?

I dont know why you think the truck has a midsize look?? Do you mean it doesnt seem as high as your last truck? The 3rd gen actually has a little less ground clearance then the 4th gen, but the 4th gen does look lower to the ground.

The more you dress up the truck, accessories, flares, whatever, the heavier and lower it will look IMO.

Get some height if your not happy. Get yourself larger tires, they dont have to be HUGE, get ones that are a few inches taller and wider, then level it out with a leveling kit.

If you can get a few inches out of a leveling kit, and an inch or so gain of true clearance from the larger tires, the difference will be dramatic. Plus since you have those flares already installed from the factory, they make the truck look really top heavy and boaty with those rinky dink tires. You have to have tires at least as wide as the flares.

I mean this is the NICEST way possible, but you can get all the shovels (plan on digging a ditch or some sh*t?) and roof racks and chrome bullbars you want, but none of that is going to make the truck more capable.

You can put that money into somthing that the truck can actually USE on a day to day basis. I think if you got the truck up a few inches and matched it with some nice tires you would be happy.

But IMO, i think your truck also looks fine how it is, its plenty capable, and it IS a full size truck after all
well put and i agree with him 100%

Old 04-15-2009, 05:28 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

c0mf0rt, nice upgrade with silver 20's.

Last edited by bountyhunter; 04-20-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:33 AM
kxwhite
Professional
Old 04-18-2009, 06:51 PM
c0mf0rt
Captain

Thanks for advice. It's not gonna make it look any tougher but I got a 40 series flowmaster put on today. I ended up keeping the resonator and it's JUST right. Only cost $115 out the door.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:49 AM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bountyhunter
c0mf0rt, nice upgrade with silver 20's...TRX 17's/plastichrome 20's are...pathetic!

lol that's hilarious! i guess you're ******* on the 20's because they're not real chrome but you have a daytona wing on a truck that's not a daytona...Not to mention the RT when there's nothing about your truck that's Mopar Road and Track qualified. TRX 17's might be pathetic for your city driving but they are just fine to the people that use their truck how it's meant and designed.
Enjoy your poser city truck but stop telling everyone how pathetic you think their truck or items on their truck are

Quick Reply: Making the 09 look tougher