4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anybody use the "ESP OFF" button?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:16 PM
HuskyJW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use the "ESP OFF" button?

Sure seems like I get a lot better MPG when I turn it off. Is this something that is ok to do....or should I just go by what the manual says and only turn it off when essentially on rough driving/dirt roads?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Daytonatruckin
Amateur

The last thing I do before putting it in drive is turn-off the esp. I don't need excess tire and brake wear on one side. But never when it's wet. I did the same in my mercedes where this feature came from.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 PM
utour
Rookie

Ok That is interesting. So did anyone else tried this to improve MPG?
Can we expand on this topic.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:46 PM
tombogue09
Captain

You can't turn off esp in 2wd, only in 4wd lock.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Godspeed

Originally Posted by tombogue09
You can't turn off esp in 2wd, only in 4wd lock.
I disagree.....but am curious why you'd say that.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:26 PM
tombogue09
Captain

Maybe your truck is different than mine but I know mine doesn't turn off, read the manual.
When you push that button in 2wd it only partially removes esp mode, not turned off. I've tested it in on slick roads and its still very much engaged when the button is pushed.
In 4wd you can push the button for like 5 secs and the EVIC will say "ESP OFF" then its completely off. Unless the EVIS says so the ESP is not turned off. That little light that shoes up outside the evic just means its partially off.

Last edited by tombogue09; 04-15-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 PM
j0e
Professional

Maybe your truck is different than mine but I know mine doesn't turn off, read the manual.
When you push that button in 2wd it only partially removes esp mode, not turned off. I've tested it in on slick roads and its still very much engaged when the button is pushed.
yeah, i noticed this too.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:42 PM
WVU Fan
Professional

ESP only goes partially off when in the "off" mode. Only SRT models can disable it completely with the factory switch. Some LX models can do a "key trick" to fully disable it as well (which does not work on our trucks).

ESP really shouldn't have any affect on gas mileage under normal driving conditions.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Daytonatruckin
Amateur
Thumbs down

Then what is "partially"? I've read other statements that it is off until you reach a certain speed (40mph?). Having had over a 100K miles of ESP on and off with mercedes, I agree it is only partial. My experience in the truck confirms this. While pulling out onto a 8 line highway I went through a dip that was unexpectedly wet. I floored it and the truck slid over three lanes of road before I straightened it out. The LSD had an impact but if the ESP was on this definitely wouldn't have happened. "Partially" is good in our trucks. But on dry I want maximum fun and ESP can be a buzz kill.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:28 AM
MinatorHemi8
Veteran

even though its partially off it doesnt effect burnouts and acceleration like when its fully on, and I get 16.9 mpg but Ive never driven with the esp engaged.

Also if you hold it down it will turn completely off until 45mph, I havent tried it but thats what it says in my manual.

Quick Reply: Anybody use the "ESP OFF" button?