4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fiat Walks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:43 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How ironic, Fix it again tony was going to resuce Chrysler, Fiat the great American car company!!!

Hell if the UAW is building chrysler cars, just turn the shop over to them, let the UAW buy chrysler, thier all ready convinced thier in great position to tell the world who is boss.., let The UAW market, design and inovate the product all on uion dues.

Chrysler is one hell of a buy, float rummers that A or B or may be C company will buy, drive the stock down, bust the union and along comes Hyundia, or a East Indian car company ( makers of the TA TA ) and away we go..

If it were me I would offer a non warrenty price and a warrenty price, non warrenty price would be half, warrenty price 3/4 less than now, here in Canada we don't have life time warenty.

Who says Ford, chrysler or Gm has to build with warentys whem evey dealer is willing to sell extended warrenty plans.

Ther are manny players waiting to buy chrysler, Ford or GM, thiers still a lot of money out thier.

Click on the I wish to buy a car box on your income tax and submit payment..

Right now the Amrican auto industry is a gold mine, but only if they all go under, than start again.

Last edited by cyclone429; 04-19-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:50 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Right now the Amrican auto industry is a gold mine, but only if they all go under, than start again.
I agree. I think the 2 pitfalls of this would be:

1) Pensions. The new owner(s) almost certainly try to wiggle out of honoring pensions.
This is not really fair because, had those people known, they would have had the
opportunity to invest elsewhere.
2) Unions. To remain viable the new owner(s) would not only have to make sure that union
labor was not hired to begin with, but also that current laws and regulations did not put
them in jeopardy of being organized.

Companies move out for two reasons. Greed and unions. Sure there are some companies
that see an opportunity to grab a bunch of money, but there are also companies that merely want to stay in business. The refusal of labor to help them remain competetive in
a global marketplace leaves them no choice.

I was in a skilled labor union. Our demands made it near impossible for the companies that
used our labor to maintain a steady flow of work. So when things got slow what did we do?
Well we went a head and voted ourselves a nice pay raise (I didn't vote this way). Logic being that if you're working less hours, you can make up for that by making more per hour.
Brilliant. Unions are full of people who know jack sh*t about business, and this is why they cripple business.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:43 PM
John Valdes
Veteran

I got a pre-recorded message from my local dealership indicating "service was due" on my 1200 mile Ram.
So I called him back anyway and asked him if they were trying to make as much money as they could before the doors were closed.
He told me " The government will never let Chrysler go out of business". I asked if he was betting man and offered to bet him $1000 that Chrysler would not survive. He shut up real quick. Changed the subject.
They told me the same thing when I bought the truck. I bought the extended warranty just in case.

They seem so confident. I am not sure if they are just out of touch or stupid?

I just hope I would have lost the bet should he have taken it.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 PM
MOPWR2U
Veteran

Originally Posted by John Valdes
They seem so confident. I am not sure if they are just out of touch or stupid?
I'm thinking the latter applies here.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:35 PM
qicvick
Professional

strangen, i belong to about 5 forums and message boards, I have a 69 gto judge so I am on pontiac performance, and also a 72 maverick grabber 302 hot rod so I am on a ford musclecar message board, I am also on 2 dodge ram sites, the dodge ram guys (not all but most) seem to blame the union for the auto problems and don't care if they fail or not and the hot rod guys all seem to blame the Goverment for unfair mandates to built a % of cars nobody wants just to meet the gas requirements,unfair export and import laws and wish the Gov. would back off and hope the auto industry survives without gov.ownership, all seem to be angry ,just one group at the union and the other group at big gov., I guess I feel like the hot rod guys, just a difference in the way we all think I guess

Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Both are to blame, but a business model that includes the uaw/caw will fail. To quote the most liberal president this country has ever had, it is "not viable". If he and his administration (being who they are) say that the union's contract is excessive, then I'm going to go ahead and agree. Maybe they will learn something about business through this process which will cause them to "back off", but Toyota has to meet the same bs federal mandates and does just fine. I bet they do not offer thier employees massage therapy.

I wonder if you will still be able to get an extended warranty if and when Chrysler folds.
That is to say, how would a company go about warranting something if it is not clear whether parts will be available?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM
spoon
Professional

Going into Chapter11 will be the best thing for Chrysler. This allows them to restructure. The sales of Chrysler cars is significantly worse then Dodge sales, probably due to the fact Chrysler built a series of cars that complied with fuel consumption regulations but nobody wanted these cars... I am pretty sure that the RAM trucks will be 'saved' during the restructuring and that spares etc will continue to be available.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:25 PM
qicvick
Professional

Just a thought, if toyota labor cost is so much cheaper, then why are their trucks the same price as the big 3 ? To me, this proves that the profit will go to either the workers or to management, the big 3 just had more going to the workers,remember toyoto is losing money too right now even with cheaper labor

Old 04-20-2009, 10:59 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by qicvick
Just a thought, if toyota labor cost is so much cheaper, then why are their trucks the same price as the big 3 ? To me, this proves that the profit will go to either the workers or to management, the big 3 just had more going to the workers,remember toyoto is losing money too right now even with cheaper labor
It is called cash reserve, and is used to see companies through things like a down turn in the economy. This is exactly why I hate for my employees to know what I am getting paid for a job. They sit there and total up what they make, subtract it from the contract amount, and figure that I just pocket the rest. Beyond that, the big three are publicly owned, so, while I agree that "management" is probably just as if not more overpaid as the "workers", any profit left over after things like r&d and expansion will be dispersed to the share holders.

Quick Reply: Fiat Walks?